·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Car info:
I have Rav4 2006. 3.5 V6. USA. Millage 94 k

Problem:
When I was driving with my car, suddenly I suspected that ABS, VSC, Break light were turn on. I stopped the car , turn off engine. Then I start engine and there was no lights (lights disappeared). Everything was great! This happens rarely - once a month. When I have this problem, I stop the car (stop engine with my key) then I start and everything is well - no problems. It happens in every type of road - during parking , hill, highway.

History of car:
I bought this car previous year. It was crashed but I repaired it (there was damages in front of the car - right side). Before the problem I run for about 1000-1500 kilometer without problems. Before the problem I've tested the car in snow and ice too, everything was working well - VSC worked well too.

IMAGES

IMAGE OF WARNING LIGHTS:

I took the photo of lights, just open URL with internet browser: i.imgur.com/esX3pQp.jpg

IMAGE OF DAMAGE CAR (to know my for car history):
I took the photo when car was damaged, but i fixed it and I run for about 1000-1500 km without any problem: i.imgur.com/MFfkers.jpg

Documentation:
There is written the following tip in car documentation: if break system warning light remains on together with the "ABS: warning light - In this case, not only the anti-lock break system will fail but also the vesicle will become extremely unstable during breaking.

Question:
1. Should I worry for this problem if this not happens often? (once a month)
2. Can it be fixed automatically?
3. Can it damage something else If I will not fix it as soon as possible?
4. What can be the worst problem that I should worry about?
5. Should I go to Toyota center asap?
6. What should I check firstly? Just computer diagnostic to see what's problem?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
This problem is very likely caused by a failing wheel speed sensor and may very well have some connection to the crash damage.
1. Should I worry for this problem if this not happens often? (once a month)
2. Can it be fixed automatically?
3. Can it damage something else If I will not fix it as soon as possible?
It will keep happening until the sensor is replaced but won't cause any other damage. Neither will it fix itself.

4. What can be the worst problem that I should worry about?
While the lights are on the indicated systems are disabled. The brakes will still work but not in ABS mode.
5. Should I go to Toyota center asap?
6. What should I check firstly? Just computer diagnostic to see what's problem?
We do have a whole sticky thread on the subject but it's several hundreds of posts so unless you are into DIY you'll need to have Toyota or a Toyota shop fix it.

I had the same problem with our '06 4WD model and after the same lights +4WD kept coming on for months I read the codes and replaced the left rear sensor. When they came back on again a year later I replaced the right rear sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your answer!
I will go to Toyota Center. Then I will write the results.

P.S Do you mean speed sensor? What would be average price of this sensors?

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Yes, the wheel speed sensor is the ABS sensor. I paid around $160 my first one, but by the time I needed the second one I found it on eBay for around $20. The dealer is probably going to be on the higher end. Surprise!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts