Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that the hybrid has slightly higher HP and torque numbers.

Do we have to be in sport or normal mode in order to do this when trying to pass cars on the highway (I understand there is a recommended break-in period)? What exactly needs to be done, put in S mode and downshift to perhaps S4 or S5 while on the highway?

2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Also, if person doing the review isn't sensitive to know how to get quickness and using the electric torque to aid in passing they may always end up relying on the gas engine essentially bypassing the "hybrid" benefit.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Also, if person doing the review isn't sensitive to know how to get quickness and using the electric torque to aid in passing they may always end up relying on the gas engine essentially bypassing the "hybrid" benefit.
We would need the specifics regarding speed and RPM. It seems likely that if you are passing with urgency the high-torque zone is behind you.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about acceleration from standstill, how do you take advantage of the extra torque while being in the EV band (combo of gasoline + EV)? Because we put the car in ECO mode, it feels kinda lethargic when accelerating coming from a complete stop.

Haven't really driven a car with an ECO option before except for a Caravan, where disabling ECO option on the rental, made a huge difference. Then again, we bought the hybrid variant for the fuel economy foremost, and additional oomph, once the break in period is over.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I never drive my Prius in Eco mode because it sucks. Basically it makes the car's gas pedal need to travel way too much to get any oomph out of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the RAV4 hybrid is the same. Just drive it in normal mode, and stop worrying about the so-called break-in period.

Reactions: internalaudit

·
Registered
240 Posts
We all know that the hybrid has slightly higher HP and torque numbers.

Do we have to be in sport or normal mode in order to do this when trying to pass cars on the highway.
If you stomp on the accelerator you should all the power available regardless of what mode you are in. The car may react differently in normal driving situations in the different modes (primarily shifting I believe) but the car must react to the driver's demand in an emergency regardless of driving mode. The liability implications of behaving otherwise are staggering.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
If you stomp on the accelerator you should all the power available regardless of what mode you are in. .
This is accurate. Floored is floored in all 3 modes.
As for "taking advantage" of the system's torque, the computer is WAY ahead of you there. If you call for it you'll get everything that's available.
You should feel the electric motor torque at any speed up to around 70mph, in decreasing amounts as speed increases. Below 45mph you will feel it before the ICE even turns on.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys/gals, I guess we have two options:

floor the gas pedal or maybe partway not as drastic as that :)
switch to S mode and downshift a bit

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never drive my Prius in Eco mode because it sucks. Basically it makes the car's gas pedal need to travel way too much to get any oomph out of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the RAV4 hybrid is the same. Just drive it in normal mode, and stop worrying about the so-called break-in period.
My wife said she is now okay getting used to ECO mode so maybe I should let her be. I am not worrying too much about the break-in period but might as well not drive too hard during the first 1k km because all our cars are keepers and we don't want unnecessary wear and tear. I only asked about the extra torque because as I was going through the two reviews on Edmunds, I couldn't help notice that particular comment by the second reviewer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts