Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im confused trying to pick out a downstream O2 sensor fer my 1998 Rav4
Heres the problem i live in Canads and i think my Rav may not have the California emission crap on it soo?? How can i tell if it does and does that make a difference when buying parts like oxygen sensors for mine ect? Any one know let me know the dealerships and parts houses here in my town for toyota parts really hammer you in markup prices of thier parts
Example i see in USA u can get the same DStream sensor for 19.99 vs our parts price here in canada @@@ 180 bucks??? Wow so ya let.me know please heres the downstream o2 sensor i was gonna buy off feebay
But wont but it up till i get some others points of view?
Thanks coyota

·
Registered
36 Posts
I not sure how different your cars are in Canada but I would suggest buying OEM or at the very least Denso made when it comes to O2 sensors. Toyotas are very sensitive when you use any others. I replaced one of my O2's with a Bosch car felt like it was about to stall out every time I took off from a stop. I worked at Toyota at the time and learned from one of the 20+ years experience techs that this can happen with most Toyotas if off brand or cheap O2's are used.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if location upstream or downstream would be more effective to yer problem?
also to prove your theory About cheap o2 sensors maybe your TPS wasnt working right ?
or low fuel preasure ? Bad ground? Battery post not clean vehivcle not running on a fully charged system?
Did u try a better so called quality sensor after? Was thier a difference?
To prove it was that cheapy sensor??

And thank you for your advise i will keep it in mind
Coyota :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
There is a sticker on the hood of my Rav4 that tells if it has California or Federal emissions.
If the sticker is not there, call Toyota with the vin number.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya thanks will check it out also of anyones knows do they put same downstream 02 sensors in both or are they different cause im ready to order a cheapy sensor on feebay :) but im holding off!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
was the car bought in Canada? if so it doesn't have California emissions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya but i bought it used so who knows where it came from
Must be some stuff on intake to tell difference?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
if the speedometer is in km/h then it doesn't have it for sure... only cars for the California market have it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes fuel pressure was good, all ground were tight with no corrosion my only difference was the sensor I used once I used that Bosch sensor my computer didn't want to communicate correctly with it. So I returned the sensor and settled to pay about $50 more for a OEM one and the hesitation upon accentuation never returned. That problem only started after I installed a Bosch sensor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would have tryed another cheapy one first maybe that one was faulty if two never worked then u can safely say its the whole works of cheapy sensors
Bosche products to me were the best during my snowmobile repairing adventures very high quailty german parts!
Back to the topic ok
Why i say this i have bought thermostats brand new and the most expensive ones u can get and they turned out to be duds brand new from factory !!
and to think one small part can over heat your motor to cause severe engine damage brand NEW TWICE!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts