Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just got a 2011 RAV4 and as a Land Rover owner I do a lot of maintenance on my old Discovery II and am excited to work on the RAV4. Looking forward to a lot of good advice, the Land Rover Forum I am on has been invaluable.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts
Welcome to RAV4World! Do the Land Rovers need as many repairs as I've been led to believe? If they were as troublesome and undependable as the stories go, I can't imagine anyone would still be buying them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to RAV4World! Do the Land Rovers need as many repairs as I've been led to believe? If they were as troublesome and undependable as the stories go, I can't imagine anyone would still be buying them.
When Ford took over Land Rover they made some bad cost cutting decisions on driveshafts among other things, and had some other issues with the engine for the '03 year that mine is. A lot of these issues didn't show up until the trucks had 60,000 plus on them, and a lot of Land Rover Owners are people that buy cars often so it did not affect them after warranty. They are also high maintenance, and need to be maintained properly. You have to have the right fluids at the right intervals, and good filters etc. You cannot neglect the thermostat or anything else, they are big heavy breadboxes on wheels and stress the engine and systems.

A lot of the issues are common and fixable yourself, but yes, many have given up on them, and they even changed to LR3 in this country to get away from the Rep. They are still called Discovery in England. I would not recommend one to anyone who does not like to work on their own car as mechanics just hand it to you when they see a Land Rover come in. That said, they are often made out to be these mysterious vehicles that are hard to work on which is not really true. They can also be had cheap, and sourcing parts is time consuming but not difficult. For a little money you can get a luxury SUV of its time period and a very capable 4wd vehicle.

The newer Land Rovers have a few issues, but not more than any other car. What I like about my '03 is that it looks like a Land Rover, and IMO most SUV's are starting look alike, new Land rovers included.

My wife is the opposite of me and loves reliable cars. I had to do only fluids on her Accord, and it did get a tranny leak, but it was under warranty.

I am looking forward to learning more about the RAV4, and hopefully years of good maintenance and service to us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts