Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do the hybrids do in real world acceleration? How is hwy merging? Passing on a two lane road? Accelerating/maintaining speeds up hills at hwy speeds?
Looking to replace our 07 Rav4 V6.
Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One of my biggest concerns shopping for a new vehicle was performance when the AC was on. My 4 cyl Accord felt like I was towing a trailer. The design of the hybrid system separating the AC from the gas motor fixes that issue. Otherwise I feel the performance is in between a 4 and 6. I have no concerns with any of the scenarios you have mentioned above. In fact, the instant torque of the electric motor can spin the tires quite nicely from a stop. This is no Prius.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The HV is faster than the gas model by a good edge.
It really depends on conditions, state of battery charge, etc.
Still not a v6 though and if you really want that the Rav4 isn't the car for you, HV or not.

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
I drove an '06 V6 Rav4 for about 9yrs, there's not really any comparison between it and the HV, but the HV has plenty of power for passing and merging, I've never felt it lacking in the 17 months I've owned the HV. My best friend has a '12 4cyl Rav4 and has been impressed with the HV passing performance on 2 lane highways that we both regularly drive on hunting and fishing trips and the 35-39mpg is an added bonus, best I ever got with the V6 on the same trips was 29mpg, and city was always 18-20mpg. Alex on Autos has a detailed roadtest and review video that is very informative on acceleration and capabilities.

·
Registered
425 Posts
From start its really good. At highway speeds I have found that there is a substantial lag where it gradually builds power.

Any idea whats going on there?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
From start its really good. At highway speeds I have found that there is a substantial lag where it gradually builds power.

In Eco mode? If so, you have to floor it to get power. In normal mode the power is more directly and linearly related to throttle position. Around town, I tend to use Eco mode as it allows me to be more gentle and this economical. On long higher speed runs, I just use Normal and avoid needing to boot it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
In Eco mode? If so, you have to floor it to get power. In normal mode the power is more directly and linearly related to throttle position. Around town, I tend to use Eco mode as it allows me to be more gentle and this economical. On long higher speed runs, I just use Normal and avoid needing to boot it.

In any mode, pedal to the metal.

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts

I change to Sport mode before passing, throttle response is much more aggressive.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I change to Sport mode before passing, throttle response is much more aggressive.

Yes the throttle response is much more aggressive.

Let me try to explain what I mean.

When you ask for full power, check how long time it takes for the needle to go all the way out to the end of power. It feels like it has to work its way to reach full power.

If you view the first 10 seconds here you will see what I mean;

https://youtu.be/pXqSNDFChfc

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
Just the nature of the system, I watched several YT videos, all show the same function, so it's must be normal.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes the throttle response is much more aggressive.

Let me try to explain what I mean.

When you ask for full power, check how long time it takes for the needle to go all the way out to the end of power. It feels like it has to work its way to reach full power.

If you view the first 10 seconds here you will see what I mean;

https://youtu.be/pXqSNDFChfc
Looks like Toyota choose to "roll on full power" through the ecu on the hybrid. Likely to save the running gear from wear and tear.
I don't notice the NA version doing that, but it may. I rarely need or use full power myself.

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
The US HV does the same thing, this fella is in Connecticut.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Better acceleration on the highway without delay: Shift lever to S, then minus fully down and full throttle :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts