Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you need a special tool to remove the spark plug jacket/cover from the iridium plugs? i can't get it to pop off like conventional rubberized plugs.

thanks,
tim plaza
folsom, ca

·
Registered
986 Posts
You didn't post what year your Rav4 is, but since you are posting in this section I will assume it is 2001-2003 like mine.

Each spark plug is covered by a coil pack/boot that is about six inches long and secured to the valve cover by a 10mm hex bolt. You need to remove at least the front half of the air box to have enough room to move around. Just remove the 4 bolts that hold the coil packs to the valve cover and pull each coil pack upward. They will pop off pretty easily. To remove the plugs you will need a 5/8" standard spark plug socket and a 6" socket extension.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jeff,
that was very easy to do! took less than 20min :)
thanks for your assistance. wow, i changed out the plugs WAY early according to factory specs (65k vs 100k?) :oops:

·
Registered
685 Posts
How did the original plugs look with 65,000 on them......?......any wear?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the orig plugs with 65k on them looked pretty darn good :)
i didn't find any black residue on them at all. they had more of a white residue on them but i'm guessing that would indicate a clean burn?

tim

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah mine looked the same way at 75K miles and they definitely could have made it past 100K miles but I changed them anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts