Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm having the "whom, whom" humming sound coming from my front drivers side. I'm thinking it is the Bearing Hub Assembly. I've recorded the sound and placed it on youtube. Can someone listen in and tell me if that is the typical humming sound you'd here? https://youtu.be/NqVumS8ft54
Things I've done so far:
Rotate the tires (Still comes from front drivers side)
Jacked it up to see if there is play. (there is play when grabbing the 3 and 9 o'clock and push/pull left to right; however, there was the same amount of play on the passenger side as well. there isn't play when grabbing the 12 and 6 o'clock and push/pulling)
Visually inspected for anything rubbing against the rotors (clear)

I'd take it to a shop but I'm in between employment right now and would like to stay away from the $750 rip off the dealer is trying to charge.

Please help. I'd like to get this resolved asap.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, there is nothing that can be done to get rid of the sound. It increases and decreases in sync with speed. Putting it in neutral, braking, etc... still there.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
That noise for me would make driving my RAV very unpleasant. Sounds like it may be wheel, or less so axle-related, but that's only a guess based upon the cyclic frequency and the nature of the sound itself. My '11 V6 RAV doesn't make any sound like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sure is driving me bonkers. It started with a light hum about 2 weeks ago and has gotten to the point it is on the video. I can only assume it will continue to get worse so I want to nip it before it causes any other damage. It's definitely not the tires because I've already done a complete rotation and the noise stays at the front drivers side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump. I posted late last night so I'm hoping this bump will help get attention. Im hoping to get under the girl today to get it fixed.

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Since you've eliminated about everything else the bearing is all I can think of. Also note that possible play in the wheel may be limited by the brake pads.

Just happened on my 2001 F-250. Had a noise on the left front that was hard to diagnose and 15 year-old trucks, especially Diesels make lots of noises. Since I'm heading out on an 1100 mile trip to Daytona I decided to replace the bearing. Wow, did it have play once I removed it! I didn't check it after removing the pads but if I had put the wheel back on, It would have felt like it was about to fall off!

So you might want to check the play with the pads out and even if it isn't too bad replace the bearing anyway.

BTW, I bought the bearing/hub for $65 on eBay. Over the years I've replaced two on the road getting stuck for $200 at the auto parts stores. Now I've bought a spare to carry with me for $40!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, since I was already going to be taking the drivers side caliper and rotor off to get to the hub/bearing and I new I was going to be due for a brake job in the near future, I decided to change the pads and rotors on both sides and put a new hub/bearing on the other side as well. The noise is completely gone and I'm loving the new brakes.

All in all, I spent
$99.99 for each bearing ($199.98)
$64.99 for the high end brake pads
$42.99 Per rotor ($85.98)

Right around $350.00 for everything. The dealer was going to charge me $150.00 to diagnose the problem and it would have cost me $750.00 to get just one new bearing ($150.00 diagnose fee towards the repair if I had them fix it)......

Dealer charges would have been $750 x 2 = $1500.00... plus around $350.00 for a brake job.... $1500.00 savings??? MONEY IN THE BANK!!! WOOT!!! WOOT!!!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
So, since I was already going to be taking the drivers side caliper and rotor off to get to the hub/bearing and I new I was going to be due for a brake job in the near future, I decided to change the pads and rotors on both sides and put a new hub/bearing on the other side as well. The noise is completely gone and I'm loving the new brakes.

All in all, I spent
$99.99 for each bearing ($199.98)
$64.99 for the high end brake pads
$42.99 Per rotor ($85.98)

Right around $350.00 for everything. The dealer was going to charge me $150.00 to diagnose the problem and it would have cost me $750.00 to get just one new bearing ($150.00 diagnose fee towards the repair if I had them fix it)......

Dealer charges would have been $750 x 2 = $1500.00... plus around $350.00 for a brake job.... $1500.00 savings??? MONEY IN THE BANK!!! WOOT!!! WOOT!!!
We'll be at your place tonight....you're buyin!!>:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
No need to replace both bearings, some last forever, some don't. I'd only replace the one that's failed. Good luck fixing it yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts