Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Prime SE, 2016 Leaf with upgraded 40kwh battery, 2014 Prius, 1965 F100 Inline 6
210 Posts
Just checking to see if anyone else has a different answers-- that some times happens.
My answer is nope as well. Sorry. Conceptually, Toyota is NOT a company that like to let you fiddle with its bedrock features. Some others might. Toyota not so much.

I do empathize with your desire. There are a few people who start their day with a 25 mile freeway commute and then tool around during the day. It makes sense to HV at first to conserve the EV.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes, you are correct.
Exactly. Push button to start, then push EV/HV button. That’s it. I’ve done it many times when I wanted to save EV for later. Don’t think I used much, if any, EV power between the time I started in EV and then the ICE came on. More is used during a trip in HV when the system decides to do so..

·
Registered
304 Posts
The only surefire way to start in HV mode without having to push one button is to not charge the battery so you can’t use EV mode.

It defaults to EV for emissions reasons.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The only surefire way to start in HV mode without having to push one button is to not charge the battery so you can’t use EV mode.

It defaults to EV for emissions reasons.
I don’t think that’s possible. Even if you don’t charge the traction battery, the system will use the ICE to maintain the electric buffer capacity in the battery so it can run as a HV. It still will start up in EV, then when the accelerator is pushed the ICE will engage. I suppose that does eliminate pushing the HV button.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don’t think that’s possible. Even if you don’t charge the traction battery, the system will use the ICE to maintain the electric buffer capacity in the battery so it can run as a HV. It still will start up in EV, then when the accelerator is pushed the ICE will engage. I suppose that does eliminate pushing the HV button.
Yes, that might eliminate pushing the "button" but I still need to use EV for my daily trip. I know a few good Toyota Tech. that might have some helpful information and I will try to check with them this week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts