Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving to my mechanic this morning to drop off my RAV for some work when i noticed something that i've never noticed before with the HVAC system. I had the airflow set to face level (fan on speed 1 with A/C on) but i could feel the air hitting my feet. When i set the airflow to face/feet level there was more air in the footwell (as per normal).

This doesnt happen in our LandCruiser or Echo. In these cars, if the system is set to face level then the air only comes out of the face level dash vents.

I don't know how long this has been happening to my RAV (or if it happens to all RAVs) but the only reason i noticed it today was because i was wearing sandals instead of shoes.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Can't say I have that problem. When mine is set to face level, that's all I get.

My issue is that when I set it to full defrost, it actuates the AC, even though the button isn't pressed in (and it lights up) :roll:

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
dnylrq said:
My issue is that when I set it to full defrost, it actuates the AC, even though the button isn't pressed in (and it lights up) :roll:
You're not alone there.... :p
I noticed that as well, found it a bit odd....
Although I have heard people say it actually works better that way, I would prefer it be my option to choose.... :roll:

T

·
0 Posts
Hi there! I'm new to the forum. Got a RAV4 about 2 months ago when the old car (Subaru) died. Anyway, I've barely touched it, because it's my fiancees, but it seems great! Anyway, as for the AC/defrost; defrost works far better when the AC is on because AC actually removes moisture from the air (as opposed to just circulating slightly drier air over the window), which I think most people don't realize. That said, AC can have its drawbacks, too, so it would be nice to be able to decide for yourself!
Do this: 1) turn on the defroster. 2) Nudge the selector slightly back from the defrost position just until you see the AC light go off. Voila! Defrost sans AC!
As for the foot thing...Does this change when you switch the air intake from fresh air to recirculate (or whatever Toyota calls sliding switch)?
Todd

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ive noticed this in mine too, Mohit.

When I have the A/C on face level, the vent directly below the steering column also blows out air. Though if you revolve the vent it redirects the extra air back up to the face level vents.

I realised this when a certain part of my lower body started getting quite cold :oops: :D

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
For those talking about the defroster-linked A/C, the RAV4 FAQ has easy instructions on disabling it. Pull out the radio and disconnect one plug. Did it myself a year ago.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The plastic flaps in the A/C system do not have rubber gaskets around the edges so they might let a little air by. I don't ever notice this in my RAV, but my Porsche was awful.

T

·
0 Posts
The AC goes on to dry the air to defrost the windshield. Most cars do that automatically. Works better and much quicker. Besides, its better to continually run the AC throughout the year so the the compressor is lubricated.

I also believe there is a small vent below the steering that you can open/close/angle.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am aware of the scrotum vent under the steering wheel. the air is not coming from this vent as its always closed. the air comes from under the dash and u can feel it on your feet. weird thing is it stopped doing it the other day but started again yesterday. btw, aussie ravs don't have the a/c automatically on feature. we can control when a/c comes on or off. but i usually run the a/c most of the year.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Haven't driven my RAV for a few days but this morning I took it, needed the heat and remembered this thread. Tested it and when the setting is on face only, there's nothing coming out of the footwell vents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts