Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Rav4, auto, base (limited).... NO dual climate control.

When I turn the fan control, speed 1,2,3 are the same - extremely low. Speed 4 goes fast. I just replaced the blower resistor pack, this did not help. So I am thinking it is the control dial. Any thoughts? Is this part expensive or hard to replace?

ALSO

The control knob used to adjust defrost/vent/feet (direction of air flow) is jammed up and very hard to turn. You have to really force it to turn. Going to defrost is simply not possible. Is this an electric control knob? Or does it have a mechanical shaft stuck in the back of that physically moves flaps based on my mechanical motion? Basically, i am curious if the knob is broken, or the device/flaps it controls are broken.

If I am going to rip apart the dash to get at these knobs...I wanna replace both at the same time. Any advice would be great

thanks

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Can you tell us if the cabin filter is clean or dirty? A dirty cabin filter may contribute to low fan output.

As for that button hard to turn maybe the dial has a broken notch at the back?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had the year model of your car and had the same issue with the vent control too. If I leave it at Defrost or Front Vent control for more than a few hours, it will get stuck and will need some persuasions to get it moving again. All the Vents or flaps inside the HVAC box had foam seal on the edge of the flap to seal out the air properly. When in Vent it will seal out the air flow to the foot and windshield. Or when in Defrost it will seal out the front vent and foot vent. The adhesive from this foam strip degrade over time and starts to fall apart leaving behind a sticky mess on the edge of the flap. They stick to the edge of the vent or box when the circle thru the ventilation mode.

I always leave my control slightly off the last slot of each position so I can easily move the control back and forth as needed. Taking the box out is a big undertaking and also taking apart the box to fix the flap is also a big job. I had look at both and decided to put the box back after spending over 3 hours removing the whole dash. Payback for this exercise, now the whole dash make a rattle when the weather gets cold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts