Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This export to pdf does not do the report justice.

if you have a Bluetooth OBD and an Android device you have access to some amazing data with Hybrid Assistant. While driving the Dashboard helps you learn how to drive your hybrid more efficiently. However, the real magic happens after you capture data from your trip. You run the sister app, Hybrid Reporter to analyze the data. Most (ok, almost all of it) is well over my head, but you can see a sample attached. I did not export the GPS data for public consumption, but privately it has a nice mapping feature.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
That is definitely one detailed report!!! Perhaps a little too much so in certain respects, but I definitely think that’s a great tool especially if you want to track data to determine any positive or negative effects of making changes to your vehicle. I still like my ScanGauge for a variety of reasons, but I very much respect the power of the Hybrid Assistant and Reporter tool.

Hope you’re able to put it to good use!!! And please post any insights you may gain from it as time goes on... Even for those of us who don’t have the tool it’s always nice to learn from others to be able to make improvements to driving style and/or vehicle dynamics.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have used Hybrid Assistant to analyze the effect of a front grill cover in cold weather. During short distaces less than 25 miles the cover is usefull, but for longer driving distances I took it off, because the temperature of an inverter increased up to unnormal level. I am waiting colder wearher to test the grill cover’s effect again. This winter the ambient temperatures have been near by 0C (32F). In January and February the temperature could go down to -20C (-4F), interesting to know what is the grill cover’s effect then.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I ran a test with both upper and lower grilles completely blocked.

23F ambient temperature. Coolant hit 195F while driving 65 MPH.

At 17:16 mark I removed the block on one side of the upper grille as the engine clearly wasn't getting enough cooling. So 50% of upper blocked, lower grille remained completely blocked. Coolant returned to 180F and stayed there the rest of the drive, except for extended EV driving when it dropped into the 160-180F range.

Inverter temps stayed well within reason while grille was completely blocked. Inverter hit 107F max. It probably runs 150F+ in the summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
This export to pdf does not do the report justice.

if you have a Bluetooth OBD and an Android device you have access to some amazing data with Hybrid Assistant. While driving the Dashboard helps you learn how to drive your hybrid more efficiently. However, the real magic happens after you capture data from your trip. You run the sister app, Hybrid Reporter to analyze the data. Most (ok, almost all of it) is well over my head, but you can see a sample attached. I did not export the GPS data for public consumption, but privately it has a nice mapping feature.
Lot of info and way above my head to digest it. I also loaded the Hybrid assistance but did not use the report feature yet. Still learning how to use various apps.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
H.A. has definitely helped me learn how to brake properly. On my normal ride home today I had 0 bad brakings, good times! My brain is only using 1% of this data H.A. provides, it is so over my head.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Here is a recording of a really cold drive. Battery remained at around 15F the whole trip. Discharge and charge currents severely limited by the computer at those temperatures. Was not able to do any EV driving at all as battery could not provide the power.

3/4 of front grille blocked. We don't need an engine block heater. We need a battery heater. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is my cold morning drive. No blocking on the grill, but I did let it warm up for a few minutes before leaving this morning. My weather stations said it was 7F/9F here in balmy Georgia.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Here is a recording of a really cold drive. Battery remained at around 15F the whole trip. Discharge and charge currents severely limited by the computer at those temperatures. Was not able to do any EV driving at all as battery could not provide the power.

3/4 of front grille blocked. We don't need an engine block heater. We need a battery heater. :D
Interesting, I wonder what the initial temps are if there is a cabin heater like I have together with the block heater, if ice is gone from the windows at those temps the battery pack should have gained some temperature aswell.

I'm still seeing OK mileage on longer trips, especially if I park for a short while and then resume again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts