Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A post on the Tesla Motor Forum got me thinking. Are the rear passenger seats shielded because as I understand the hybrid battery is located underneath the rear seats?

Electromagnetic Radiation Safety: Hybrid & Electric Cars: Electromagnetic Radiation Risks

Design guidelines to reduce the magnetic field in electric vehicles

SINTEF, Jan 6, 2014

Based on the measurements and on extensive simulation work the project arrived on the following design guidelines to, if necessary, minimize the magnetic field in electric vehicles.

Cables
  • For any DC cable carrying significant amount of current, it should be made in the form of a twisted pair so that the currents in the pair always flow in the opposite directions. This will minimise its EMF emission.
  • For three-phase AC cables, three wires should be twisted and made as close as possible so as to minimise its EMF emission.
  • All power cables should be positioned as far away as possible from the passenger seat area, and their layout should not form a loop. If cable distance is less than 200mm away from the passenger seats, some forms of shielding should be adopted.
  • A thin layer of ferromagnetic shield is recommended as this is cost-effective solution for the reduction of EMF emission as well EMI emission.
  • Where possible, power cables should be laid such a way that they are separated from the passenger seat area by a steel sheet, e.g., under a steel metallic chassis, or inside a steel trunk.

Motors
  • Where possible, the motor should be installed farther away from the passenger seat area, and its rotation axis should not point to the seat region.
  • If weight permits, the motor housing should be made of steel, rather than aluminium, as the former has a much better shielding effect.
  • If the distance of the motor and passenger seat area is less than 500mm, some forms of shielding should be employed. For example, a steel plate could be placed between the motor and the passenger seat region
  • Motor housing should be electrically well connected to the vehicle metallic chassis to minimise any electrical potential.
  • Inverter and motor should be mounted as close as possible to each other to minimise the cable length between the two.

Batteries
  • Since batteries are distributed, the currents in the batteries and in the interconnectors may become a significant source for EMF emission, they should be place as far away as possible from the passenger seat areas. If the distance between the battery and passenger seat area is less than 200mm, steel shields should be used to separate the batteries and the seating area.
  • The cables connecting battery cells should not form a loop, and where possible, the interconnectors for the positive polarity should be as close as possible to those of the negative polarity.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably you just need some aluminum foil wrapped around your head.
Haha. A very scientific and well thought out solution.

Need autonomous driving first unless there are holes for my eyes to see out.

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
One probably is exposed to far more electromagnetic radiation from a home microwave oven, from using a smart phone, and even from their house electrical wiring than from sitting in the rear seat of a hybrid RAV . . .

Reactions: internalaudit

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sure hope so. We rarely wait in front of a running microwave oven because if I believe correctly, intensity drops exponentially with distance.

I rarely put my smartphone on my head because I don't make that many phone calls or receive them.

Just came across a response from Tesla Motor Forum and to me it's an interesting question the fellow post.

Hopefully, the Japanese are on top of things from a health safety perspective.

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
I sure hope so. We rarely wait in front of a running microwave oven because if I believe correctly, intensity drops exponentially with distance.

I rarely put my smartphone on my head because I don't make that many phone calls or receive them.

Just came across a response from Tesla Motor Forum and to me it's an interesting question the fellow post.

Hopefully, the Japanese are on top of things from a health safety perspective.

If really worried there are inexpensive detection meters available such as this one, for about $US 16. Don't know the price in Canada, but here is a U.S. link, for example (hopefully):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Electrom...7155&wl11=online&wl12=621517072&wl13=&veh=sem

Reactions: internalaudit

·
Registered
342 Posts
That whole list of things is some serious tinfoil hat ramblings. It's just nonsense from a scientific point of view.

Beginning with concerns about the battery. Because of all things in a hybrid vehicle it has the least EMF emissions. And by least I mean none. :laugh

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ Haha, you are right.

Dangers of EMF from Hybrid battery? - Page 2 - General Car Discussion - MyCarForum.com

Post #27:
Hybrid batteries are DC, whatever EMF you are worried about is no where as dense as any given cellphone, which you put right on your head and even have antennas designed to transmit EM waves. If you are worried, stop using your cell phone first and also stop driving, since all modern cars use varying magnetic field to generate electricity ... you know... the alternator.

I am not going to tell you cellphones dont cause cancer. I dont like to stand near cellphone towers. High power substation outright scares me.

But if it comes to cars, there's a million more things I am worried of, including petrol fumes, than EMF from hybrid batteries.

Post # 39

witscience is a satire site. You know, fake news. It also has an article about scientific proof on the existence of God.

Anybody with any casual understanding of SAR will know the numbers are pure nonsense. DC does not transmit, let alone absorb.

Looks like DC produces static EMF that isn't that much of a concern, phew:
http://www.atcoelectric.com/Project...ion Handouts/ATCO-DC EMF_Fact Sheet Final.pdf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts