Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the last year, I have monitored the SOC battery meter of my 2016 RAV4 HYBRID XLE. I wonder why the battery appears to SOMETIMES discharge when the vehicle is shut down for the night. I have read many questions dealing with HYBRID batteries. I have read many replies. The procedure to start this RAV4 is that, the transmission must be in PARK and the foot brake must be applied before pushing the START button. The procedure to stop this RAV4 requires only for the transmission to be in PARK. However, because the process of parking the vehicle usually includes using the foot brake, most shutdowns included the enabled foot brake condition. No matter what meter reading was reporting at shutdown, the next startup reported less. ALMOST every overnight shutdown reported a minimal meter reading at startup. The keyword of the prior sentence is ALMOST. Some of the morning startups reported practically full battery conditions. Since I noted that, some startups retained shutdown charge conditions, I theorized that the trigger was using the foot brake at shutdown. When I shut down without using the foot brake, the SOC battery meter usually reports a charge retention better than minimum. The most significant surprise was after I returned from long vacation and I started the RAV4 the meter reported a significant charge retention. Experiments where the foot brake was purposely applied at shutdown always reported a minimal charge after startup the next morning.

When you attempt to discuss this issue with the Toyota dealer, they ALWAYS look at you like your crazy. The keyword in the prior sentence is crazy.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,096 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to look for a problem.
Its completely normal.
For starters, each bar on the battery meter represents a range of charge - approximately 10%. But keep in mind that 8 bars is 80% SOC, and 2 bars (the minimum) is about 40%. However it only takes a fraction of 1% change in SOC to flip the meter up or down one bar. Simply booting up the systems causes a drain.
Its all pretty random and you need to stop obsessing over it. As long as the meter stays between 3 and 8 bars you are running optimally.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
battery discharge without usage is NOT normal ... why is the battery performance treated like a government secret. Everyone repeats the same disclaimer ... this area of the vehicle is significant ... if it is not working right there could be damage or injury. Why are people so quick to poo poo an expression of experience. Are you telling me that I am a liar? You have not defined any criteria or credentials for your opinion. I paid many bucks for my RAV4 and I would like logical behavior. You sound like my Toyota Dealer Repair Agent.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
battery discharge without usage is NOT normal ... why is the battery performance treated like a government secret. Everyone repeats the same disclaimer ... this area of the vehicle is significant ... if it is not working right there could be damage or injury. Why are people so quick to poo poo an expression of experience. Are you telling me that I am a liar? You have not defined any criteria or credentials for your opinion. I paid many bucks for my RAV4 and I would like logical behavior. You sound like my Toyota Dealer Repair Agent.
You came here ASKING for people's opinion. Now you want credentials for the privilege to give it to you and tell them off. lol No one was even rude to you. You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. So, .......I am calling you a LIAR!!! You rotten filthy liar!!! You lied about everything you posted. Your "alternate facts" won't fly here so I therefore poo poo them. Go troll somewhere else foo'.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
If you're actually looking for real information, read this discussion: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109...d-ev/237177-traction-battery-always-dead.html

If you're just a troll, please go somewhere else! :wink

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I appreciate your frustration, at not finding a specific answer, especially given your dealers response. However, the people responding to your inquiry here, were in no way dissing you or your concerns. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum and its better to step back, and view this from a different perspective. This is my second Hybrid, and I suggest you turn off the battery charging screen, and not watch it regularly. I say this, from my experience of regularly watching the charging level on my Prius battery, for a period, and believing there might be something amiss. There wasn't. If your RAV4H is otherwise running good, just drive and enjoy it. If there is something wrong, clear symptoms will likely show up at some point, providing the dealer something specific to evaluate.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,096 Posts
In all the 20+ years that Toyota has built these hybrid systems, not once has there been any real issues with battery management. Not one, nada, zero, zilch. That's millions of units sold and running. There's also no such thing as a system problem that doesn't produce error codes.

The battery is maintained between 80% and 40% SOC at all times. Period. I think some folks are really freaked out by the complex hybrid system and scared that its going to bite them. Fords do that, Toyotas don't. In fact its one of the most (if not the most) reliable systems ever built.

I'll add that I've always suspected there's a default "auto discharge" built into the system that allows the NiMH battery to be run down to 40% periodically as a "deep cycle" event. Its possible this could be getting done more often when its new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts