Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 2016 RAV4 Limited hybrid. Recently, a friend raised the question about the longevity of the batteries in the hybrid, as well as the replacement cost associated with them. Does anybody have any insight or information on this issue.

Also, are there any other issues or concerns that any of you have experienced?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,093 Posts
Figure roughly 200,000 to 300,000 miles minimum. Use and conditions vary.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
This Green Car Reports article should ease your concerns about traction battery life, a couple statements from the article.

Toyota hybrid battery replacement cost guide (2016 update)

Replacement is rare

The first, and most reassuring thing you should know about these battery packs, is that replacement is a rare occurrence.

Little to worry about

Whatever you think of the prices above, it's worth reiterating that replacement batteries are the exception rather than the norm. The vast majority of owners will never incur the cost of a replacement unit, as proven by any number of Priuses used as taxis for as many as 300,000 miles.

For the few owners who do require a pack replacement, the prices above give you an indication of what to expect--and the reality isn't quite as dramatic as many people suspect.

If your car is out of warranty, however, check out those third-party hybrid-specialty shops.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had 2 Prii with no battery concerns at all. In fact Prius is rated as one of the most reliable cars made in the last 10 years. I have a friend with an original Prius that looks like a Corolla, with 230,000 miles and has not needed a hybrid battery yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the battery give out on a 2007 Prius at 138,000 miles. Good timing because the warranty is for 150,000 miles. It was a $3,800 job that was fully covered. From what Ive since heard, mine was the exception; most last beyond 200,000 miles. FWIW, I bought a a 2017 RAV4 hybrid last month, expecting to battery to last well beyond 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had similar concerns but after reading the articles posted above and realizing that the car can only have been improved since the first years of the Prius, we should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts