Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for specifications of the 2016 rav4 hybrid battery.
I've only found this info from 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Product Information:

Hybrid Battery Pack
Type: Sealed Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH)
Nominal Voltage: 244.8 V (204 cells, 1.2V/cells)

Does anyone have or found any more details?
Looking for these specs:

1. Cost for new pack
2. Cost for used pack
3. Output amperage
4. Capacity (in mAH)
5. Charge cycle life (how many times it can be charged)
6. Discharge rate (when idle)
7. Total energy storage (kWh)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Battery packs are bought and sold on eBay, so that's your source for values. Most of the rest should be found in a service manual.

·
Registered
342 Posts
3. Output amperage
If the whole drivetrain is rated 194hp combined, and the gas provides 150hp, that leaves 44hp to electric.

44hp * 746w * 1.1 effeciency losses = 36kW / 244.8v = 147amps

4. Capacity (in mAH)
Irrelevant since a small portion of the charge is used.

5. Charge cycle life (how many times it can be charged)
It's charge-discharge cycle life. Pretty much infinite, since it's never fully charged and never fully discharged. If nobody charged their LiOn laptop batteries to 100% all the time, they would get thousands of charges, instead of hundred and battery being dead in a few years.

6. Discharge rate (when idle)
Same as any other NiCd battery. This is not Toyota specific, but NiCd technology specific.

7. Total energy storage (kWh)
Same as #4.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reasons i'm gathering specs is I'm wondering how feasible it'd be to add another hybrid battery
in parallel.
Not to increase voltage but to increase charge longevity.
I know connecting identical DC batteries in parallel will double the amount of time
it would take to drain.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
There is no way in hell that would work. The hybrid system would freak out. If we were talking about your tv remote, sure that would work. A highly sophisticated computer system would see a problem on many levels. Not to mention it would also take twice as long to charge negating any benefit. The added 300+pounds and the space it would take. Etc etc. There are multitudes of reasons it wouldn't work without the system being built for it. On an all electric in theory, more is better, in a hybrid, not at all.
Feasibility is 0.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It would be entertaining to watch the inverter and motors all go up in a fountain of sparks and flames.
If you want a plug-in hybrid then that's probably what you should buy. This ain't it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The reasons i'm gathering specs is I'm wondering how feasible it'd be to add another hybrid battery
in parallel.
Not to increase voltage but to increase charge longevity.
I know connecting identical DC batteries in parallel will double the amount of time
it would take to drain.
Any thoughts?
Please make sure to record that for YouTube. Would love to see the results of you trying to outthink Toyota engineers. :wink

·
Registered
420 Posts
There are companies that converts prius models to plug-in hybrids. Adding a battery in parallel will probably not fry anything but I doubt the system only checks the voltage to be in the 40-80% range. I would assume it also keeps track of how many Ampere-hours that have been going in and out of the battery(s). If my assumption is correct then all you accomplished is added weight.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts