Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The default Hybrid speedometer LCD screen shows 12+ separate pieces of information (without any warning lights), some as text (with different fonts), some as numerical, some as icons. Values change and colors change to denote status, but the dash screen lacks a unified look and feel. Way too much info on the screen to be meaningful. Other screens by contrast, seem dedicated to functions that really don't need full screens. What are other opinions? Does Toyota need to look at doing a UI redesign for the RAVs dashboard?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I find it cobbled together. Being part of UI development there are a lot of missing strategies. Everything for the most part should be "at a glance" to get information. The whole "small band" speedometer that surrounds the Midi is a huge miss. Not really sure how that got past QA. At minimum that needle should be much higher contrast.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If we are talking about the 7" MID on higher trims, I was very happy that there was a speedometer option that was not just digital. While the contrast could be a bit better, and I have to manually adjust the contrast between night and day, it is easy to do, and the daytime presentation is bright enough most of the time.

I would rate the display a 6/10. But all the better MID's I have seen are on more expensive cars, often way more expensive.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes, too much information, some fonts too small, screen lacks brightness in certain conditions.

Yeah, Toyota is great at analog stuff... they need to get some UI lessons from VW or Ford or even Dodge
VW does this VERY well, much better than on my new RAV4. Not just how VW displays the data, but their displays “pop” and are very legible in all driving conditions.

·
Registered
424 Posts
On the upper trims I consider the total space available and feel that both the left and right round displays are a real waste of screen real estate. The 4 functions displayed in those two round dials could have been easily and more clearly displayed with verticle bar graphs in half the space. I do prefer a digital speedometer and fortunately that is available, I have explored the various option for displays and really like that they are so easily selectable from the steering wheel controls. I have gotten used to the displays over 3500 miles.

·
Registered
226 Posts
At first it is kinda overwhelming. My wife drives the XSE daily and likes it. Took her awhile but even then it wasn’t like “oh my all this info”

I personally would rather have all the info readily available than not.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,463 Posts
Just for comparison, this is the driver's display in my 2015 Chevy Volt. I remember being very confused by it at first, but it did grow on me. I count 15 different data points on this display. Starting in the upper left hand corner left to right:

Gas gauge bar graph, gas mile range, compass heading, cruise on, PRNDL, battery level bar graph, car icon for safe following distance, electric mile range, speed (MPH easily changed to KPH), efficiency ball, total range to empty, READY indicator, power meter, odometer, and headlights on.

IMG_E1552.JPG
IMG_E1552.JPG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just picked up my XLE HV a few hours ago. Drove 150 kms and am thrilled with the vehicle generally except for the dogs breakfast of the MID. Small and dim.
Spoiled by the intuitiveness and elegance of my 2016 Outback now enjoyed by my daughter but I will learn. Never thought I would have another vehicle as quick as my 69 Mustang 302 however.
Enjoyed playing “where’s the 12V battery?”.
Now off on its 5000 km maiden voyage.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just for comparison, this is the driver's display in my 2015 Chevy Volt. I remember being very confused by it at first, but it did grow on me. I count 15 different data points on this display. Starting in the upper left hand corner left to right:

Gas gauge bar graph, gas mile range, compass heading, cruise on, PRNDL, battery level bar graph, car icon for safe following distance, electric mile range, speed (MPH easily changed to KPH), efficiency ball, total range to empty, READY indicator, power meter, odometer, and headlights on.

View attachment 145605 View attachment 145605
That digital display is a relative model of clarity. :) (y)

·
Registered
983 Posts
My LE screens are just fine but I’m sure it’s simpler than higher trim levels. The data feeding the fuel gauge, DTE, and others are certainly open to question.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There is a compass on the screen😎
I was afraid there was and I just wasn't seeing it. I've scanned the manual and I think the compass is part of the XSE tech package 'navigation' which I didn't take. I have the XSE package. If it's part of that then I'm not seeing it :) ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts