Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I use the OEM alloy wheels. By the time you buy aftermarket steel rims, then 4 Tire Pressure Sensors for the wheels, it is almost cheaper just to switch the Winter tires and Summer tires back and forth on the OEM rims. Keep using the TPS sensors in the OEM wheels.
So everything else works the same as when having TPMS? On some Hondas I had, you couldn't turn off traction control if TPMS sensors couldn't be detected. Fortunately, here in NY you won't fail inspection for a TPMS light.

·
Registered
19 RAV4 XLE-P, 21 RAV4 XLE-P Hybrid, 00 Trans Am Convertible, 98 Dakota R/T
6 Posts
I live in the lake effect snow belt on the south shore of Lake Michigan. All cars last 25 years have been fwd and done fine in the heaviest of snows. Got the 21 hybrid in august, and had a small slide and traction control light come on when driving through a wet (from rain) roundabout. Less than 3k on factory tires. Also noticed some light hydroplaning on the interstate, not something I’d expect for the amount of water on the road. That’s not going to work this winter. Had blizzaks put on Thursday.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I live in the lake effect snow belt on the south shore of Lake Michigan. All cars last 25 years have been fwd and done fine in the heaviest of snows. Got the 21 hybrid in august, and had a small slide and traction control light come on when driving through a wet (from rain) roundabout. Less than 3k on factory tires. Also noticed some light hydroplaning on the interstate, not something I’d expect for the amount of water on the road. That’s not going to work this winter. Had blizzaks put on Thursday.
What were the factory tires?

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
18 Posts
I was very disappointed with the performance of my 2020 hybrid limited in the snow with stock tires. Winter tires made a massive difference, and the car felt as secure as I would hope for.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here in Vermont, we have annual , mandatory vehicle inspections. Beside checking suspension, steering for too much play, and checking OBD 2 for emission compliance, you have to have all warning lights extinguished. TPS amber light on, your car doesn't pass inspection.
So if you keep your winter tires off your car, until it passes inspection, you can get by running without TPS sensors in the winter.
In the US passenger vehicles and light trucks manufactured after Sept 2007 are required by federal law to have TPMS.

I have Michelin Crossclimate2's as winter tires and they do great on my XLE hybrid. I use dedicated rims for the winter tires, with after market alloy rims from Costco, since winter is long here in Alaska.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
680 Posts
We have a RV Hybrid LE "on order". Supposedly being built on Nov 2nd in Georgetown, Kentucky..
Living here in Vermont, up by the Canadian border, and skiing a lot; we need real snow tires. We will be ordering 4 Blizzak DM-V2 snow tires in OEM size, once we are sure car is ready for pickup.
Think about it, you go off the road into the ditch, just once, with $500 damage deductible, and you have paid for a set of snow tires. I pass 4x4s all the time off the road, driving up to Jay Peak and with 4 snows, on my Tribeca, no worries.
Last few years all our cars have been Subarus; Foresters and Tribecas, and all have Blizzaks in the winter. A great tire.
Let me tell you something,
Most of the time, it is not the tires that get you in to the ditch.
It is the nut behind the weel...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Montana Winters are also legendary and I consider winter tires indespensible during half the months of the year. I picked up my 2021 RAV4 Hybrid Limited with factory Michelina's last week. The other morning we had about 1/2" of snow and I felt a slip on a corner. I had ordered 4 Cooper True North winter tires but am still waiting for my wheels to arrive. I decided to mount winter tires on their own wheels years ago when a tire store workman destroyed one of my new Volvo's rims during the switch.

But to do that you need a separate set of TPMS sensors installed. The tire store owner I've used for 27 years warned me about aftermarket sensors that do not program correctly half the time or won't pair to the car, particularly on a Toyota, he said. So I bought 4 sensors from Toyota. They are very "proud" of their sensors, listing for $121 each!!! But I got them for $100 without one swear word!

So FEDEX is slated to deliver on Sunday the nice set of alloys I sourced on eBay for $763. I'll let you know how it goes.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tom

21 - 28 of 28 Posts