Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about you, but I think that under-floor storage area is a perfect place for a hybrid battery-pack!

Losing the third row seats would not bother me in the least and if the RAV4.3 could get anywhere near the Prius' 60/51 MPG rating (a loss of 10 from each is a good place to start), I'd be happy as a clam!

Ideally, I'd like to see the powertrain as the 2.4L + electric motors at the wheels and CVT transmission, ala Highlander/RX400H hybrids, which would still give a RAV4 hybrid the power of a V6-equipped model.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Yeah... lots of room there... but IMHO... too far to the back. Toyota's other hybrid models have the batteries a little closer to the front... almost under the rear passenger seats.

Seeing the "START" button in some of the 2006 RAV4 photos makes me think the Hybrid RAV4 is already in the works :shock:

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cutaways and diagrams I've seen of the Prius and the Highlander/RX400H put the battery pack either directly over or forward of the rear axle. In the Prius' case, this is directly behind the rear seats, and with the Highlander/RX400H, it's under the rear seats. Not too much of a difference for the RAV4.3, is it?

I haven't found the battery placement in the Camry, Lexus GS or LS -- also not sure where the Sienna's battery pack would go (although the Estima's is under the third row seats).

And just as a point of reference to the other manufacturers, the Accord's and Civic's is mounted vertically behind the backs of the rear seats and the Escape/Mariner and Insight hybrid's battery packs are under the cargo floor.

Prius:

RX400H (and Highlander since it's the same platform):

Estima Hybrid:

Civic Hybrid:

Escape Hybrid:

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
karrock said:
In the Prius' case, this is directly behind the rear seats, and with the Highlander/RX400H, it's under the rear seats. Not too much of a difference for the RAV4.3, is it?
Great display of photo examples Tony. I still think the area under the THIRD row seats is too far back for the batteries... but do agree it's a GREAT cargo stowing area.

I also hope that when the Hybrid RAV4 hits the market it's a version of the inline 4 cylinder and NOT a version of the V6. IMHO... Toyota should have made the Hybrid Highlander a 4 banger... not the V6. Sure... the power/acceleration is great, but I think most HYBRID customers are after FUEL ECONOMY first and PERFORMANCE second :roll:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts