Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least in Toronto, with my insurance history, the Hybrid version of the RAV4 is cheaper than the equivalent trim gas models to insure. Numbers below in Canadian dollars. Using a insurance quote site that generates quotes from several different companies, I compared the various XLE models, since that's the only trim level here you can get in 2WD gas, AWD gas, and AWD Hybrid.

AWD Hybrid: $1661, $1746, $1795 (average $1734)
AWD gas: $1767, $1769, $1805 (average $1780)
2WD gas: $1727, $1804, $1820 (average $1783)

So, if you take the absolute lowest quotes, the AWD Hybrid is the cheapest by a decent margin, with the 2WD gas and AWD gas coming in second and third respectively. If you take the average of the lowest three quotes, the AWD Hybrid is again the cheapest, but the AWD gas model is very slightly cheaper than the 2WD gas model.

BTW, the Limited AWD Hybrid we're getting gets the same rates as the XLE AWD Hybrid, so again, noticeably cheaper insurance rate than the XLE 2WD gas model.

·
Registered
211 Posts
At least in Toronto, with my insurance history, the Hybrid version of the RAV4 is cheaper than the equivalent trim gas models to insure. Numbers below in Canadian dollars. Using a insurance quote site that generates quotes from several different companies, I compared the various XLE models, since that's the only trim level here you can get in 2WD gas, AWD gas, and AWD Hybrid.

So, if you take the absolute lowest quotes, the AWD Hybrid is the cheapest by a decent margin, with the 2WD gas and AWD gas coming in second and third respectively. If you take the average of the lowest three quotes, the AWD Hybrid is again the cheapest, but the AWD gas model is very slightly cheaper than the 2WD gas model.

BTW, the Limited AWD Hybrid we're getting gets the same rates as the XLE AWD Hybrid, so again, noticeably cheaper insurance rate than the XLE 2WD gas model.

Those prices are insane! I pay just over half of that for full coverage on both of my cars and motorhome combined.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts

Those costs are outrageous compared with what we pay for two SUVs and a motorcycle!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where do you live?

But yes, the prices suck. In Toronto, the insurance rates are quite high, double that of many other places in Canada. And we have two cars, so we pay much more than that.

Note also though, the prices above are including $1 million liability and low deductibles. They also don't include any special discounts like bundling house insurance.

I notice a lot of Americans and in some Canadian provinces some take much less than $1 million liability to save cash. OTOH, I have something like $3 million liability, but those extra millions of liability are shared under an umbrella policy with my house insurance.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When you say liability, is that for property damage and or medical damage? I carry 100k for property damage per occurrence, $750k medical per person with a $100 deductible on both cars and motorhome. Annual cost is $1030.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where do you live?

This description of third party liability is from one of the insurance company FAQs: "Protects you if someone else is killed or injured or their property is damaged because of your negligence. It will pay for legitimate claims against you up to the limit of your coverage, and will pay for the costs of settling the claims, including defense costs.

Awards over $10 million in Canada are exceedingly rare, but have occurred. One was a drunk pickup truck driver who rolled his truck with two people in the back. One became a paraplegic and the other had significant brain injury.

Awards over $2 million are also rare but not quite as rare as before. Awards over $1 million are not exactly common but are happening more and more these days. Minimum third party liability insurance on auto insurance in Ontario is $200000 but most quotes are for $1 million. I went with $1 million but increased it to $3 million in an umbrella policy combined with my home insurance.

All that said, third party liability insurance isn't all that expensive. It's the other parts of the auto insurance that is making our Ontario auto insurance rates so damn high. Toronto has high traffic density, often bad roads, and high theft. In fact, Highway 401, which runs through the city, is the highest volume highway in North America. #2 is the 405 in Los Angeles. #3 is Highway 427 which also runs through Toronto.

BTW, our insurance system is an actuarial based system like in the US, so my rates are considerably lower than say a 20 year-old. Some 20 year-olds with clean driving records might have to pay $5000+ a year. Ouch.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am in the Seattle area. Half of my cost is for uninsured motorists. 1 million in the states is probably overkill and a waste of extra insurance money here.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Historically, awards in the US have actually been higher than in Canada. This is probably partially due to the higher personal medical costs due to injury, and the fact that the US has tended to be more litigious than Canada on average. Then again the US dollar is also worth much more these days, so maybe that compensates somewhat.

BTW I was reading a NY Times article that the personal injury rate in the US was actually over 1% of licenced drivers. That's more than a one in one hundred chance you're gonna injure someone in a car accident. The bad news is that there have been awards over $10 million and the average award is close to $200000. The good news is that the median award is much lower at $20000, and awards that are $300000 or more are only 2% of awards. So, your $750000 is gonna cover you the vast majority of the time. The same is true in Canada, but it's the outlier cases that can destroy you. I personally would still get a million or more but that's me, esp. since incremental liability insurance costs are not high once you're already over $500000.

But that's almost off topic. To begin to steer myself back on topic... Your rates are simply much lower, basically because of the locale. Traffic density is a lot lower in Seattle for one. And if you're outside of Seattle, it'd be even lower. But regardless if yours or lower or not, I'm just glad to see that getting a RAV4 Hybrid will give us a small reprieve over the gas models. Oh and this year we will get a discount for having snow tires too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
whatever makes you feel better. Of those personal injury rates, about all amount to a whiplash injury. Been driving over 25 years, no accidents. Most folks either have no insurance or over insured, but insurance companies are not in the business to just sell you the right amount either, they love bringing in extra cash wherever they can.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Our Hybrid Limited with tech package costs about about the same as my 02 Civic to insure -- $800 CAD. I live in the Burlington/Oakville area in Ontario, Canada.

I'm not going to complain. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Checked a quote through USAA for replacing my 2015 Highlander Limited AWD with the Rav4 Limited Hybrid and my insurance is going to drop about $32 a month. That's fine for me :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I haven't yest checked the R4 Hybrid, but I checked insurance quotes for competing vehicles (Mazda CX-5, Subaru Forester) using my Los Angeles address. They were between $1000 to $1200 for 6 months. That $2000 a year! And I am accident and violation free. Prices reflect location.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts