Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone will be using the OEM rims and tires that came on their rav4 hybrid for the winter months for those of you who get snow?

·
Registered
20 Posts
no, I bought a used set of rims online, Highlander 17" rims, and got some blizzaks to wrap. the tires that come with the car are all seasons, all seasons and all weather tires are different. all weather tires have a snow flake on the side rated for snow driving. But all in all, it is personal preference, I've learnt that every bit helps, and tires won't break the bank, so why not.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't want ugly black steel rims on our new RAV4 Hybrid (due to come Feb). So I will get aluminum rims for the winter tires. I haven't decided yet if I will go with used OEM rims or low end aftermarket aluminum rims yet. There is a shop that carries a lot of used OEM rims, and warranties the wheels, but they are a 90 minute drive away. Not sure it's worth the drive esp. since getting new aftermarket rims won't cost much more (for lower end ones).

I'm thinking something like this, which is a direct fit 17"x7 5x114.3 mm rim for Toyota/Lexus. No multi-fit rims for me.

Locally they go for CAD$140, or about US$100.

Note that our Hybrid Limited will come with 18" 235/55R18 wheels, but we will go with -1" / 17" for the winters. Either 225/65R17 or 225/60R17. 225/65R17 is the closest, but 225/60R17 is also within 2%. Blizzak WS80 comes in the former, and X-Ice i3 comes in the latter.

However, if the car doesn't come until say March, then we'll probably just wait until next year to get winter wheels. (We only just put in our order last week, and it's coming from Japan.)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Make sure if you get the aftermarket ones that they are hubcentric, or get the adapters.
Yes, that's what I meant by "direct fit". The Macpek / RSSW ATA755CG will only fit Toyota/Lexus. No other cars.

Note that our Hybrid Limited will come with 18" 235/55R18 wheels, but we will go with -1" / 17" for the winters. Either 225/65R17 or 225/60R17. 225/65R17 is the closest, but 225/60R17 is also within 2%. Blizzak WS80 comes in the former, and X-Ice i3 comes in the latter.
Wheel specs for stock 18" and -1" are in the attached pic. (225/65R17 is stock for the XLE.)

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hmmm... Both 225/65R17 and 225/60R17 are within an acceptable variance range of the stock Limited 18" 235/55R18:

However, we know that the XLE trim gets 225/65R17. If we were to assume that the preferred 17" size is 225/65R17, then 225/60R17 is not within an acceptable variance range.

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this or not, but perhaps I should specifically look for a place that sells 225/65R17. The problem is my local shop sells the Michelin X-Ice i3 for a decent price, along with direct fit rims, but that tire only comes in the 225/60R17 size. I'd have to go elsewhere to find the right size tires, in a different brand (like the Blizzak WS80).

·
Registered
17 Posts
having had a winter set of alloy rims, I wouldn't do it again. roads can get pretty bad (potholes), and if you badly dent or warp the rim, expensive to repair or replace. steel wheels, while not looking the greatest, are much cheaper to replace. just my own opinion.

·
Registered
270 Posts
having had a winter set of alloy rims, I wouldn't do it again. roads can get pretty bad (potholes), and if you badly dent or warp the rim, expensive to repair or replace. steel wheels, while not looking the greatest, are much cheaper to replace. just my own opinion.
The 17x7 steels at my local shop are CAD$90. The 17x7 aluminum rims shown above at the same shop are CAD$140. So, CAD$50 (US$35) difference.

The 17x6.5 steels are CAD$70 though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hmmm... Both 225/65R17 and 225/60R17 are within an acceptable variance range of the stock Limited 18" 235/55R18:

However, we know that the XLE trim gets 225/65R17. If we were to assume that the preferred 17" size is 225/65R17, then 225/60R17 is not within an acceptable variance range.

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this or not, but perhaps I should specifically look for a place that sells 225/65R17. The problem is my local shop sells the Michelin X-Ice i3 for a decent price, along with direct fit rims, but that tire only comes in the 225/60R17 size. I'd have to go elsewhere to find the right size tires, in a different brand (like the Blizzak WS80).
Hmmm... From the spec:

Steering - Type Electric Power assisted rack and pinion
- Overall Ratio 14.5:1 (XLE), 14.7:1 (LTD)
- Turns (lock to lock) 2.83 (XLE), 2.68 (LTD)
- Turning Circle
(curb to curb)
34.8 Ft. (17-inch tires)
36.7 Ft. (18-inch tires)

Wheel Size 7.0 x 17 in. (XLE)
7.0 x 18 in. (Limited)

Tread Width (front/rear) 61.8/61.8 (17-inch wheels)
61.4/61.4 (18-inch wheels)

Would the Limited and XLE be tuned slightly differently, for the different tire sizes?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wondering if anyone will be using the OEM rims and tires that came on their rav4 hybrid for the winter months for those of you who get snow?
We get on average 65" of snow (over 100" the last two winters.) Have used the stock rims/tires on our 2004 Highlander since new and plan to do the same when we trade it on the Rav4 Hybrid this spring. I will concede that our 12 year old rims are looking pretty ratty from close up though.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Hmmm... From the spec:

Steering - Type Electric Power assisted rack and pinion
- Overall Ratio 14.5:1 (XLE), 14.7:1 (LTD)
- Turns (lock to lock) 2.83 (XLE), 2.68 (LTD)
- Turning Circle
(curb to curb)
34.8 Ft. (17-inch tires)
36.7 Ft. (18-inch tires)

Wheel Size 7.0 x 17 in. (XLE)
7.0 x 18 in. (Limited)

Tread Width (front/rear) 61.8/61.8 (17-inch wheels)
61.4/61.4 (18-inch wheels)

Would the Limited and XLE be tuned slightly differently, for the different tire sizes?
Well the turning lock certainly is. Possibly something that could be adjusted?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Here's hoping that the 16" Blizzak tires I bought will do. Each tire says it's able to carry 1,400 lbs of load if I'm not mistaken, this was the first time I paid attention to the load/capacity of a tire, haha.

I was first going to shop for alloy wheels until someone on another forum suggested the costly repairs in the event that they are damaged when running into potholes and such so I sent with steel rims, also from Costco.

I was considering hub caps because on my Civic, they are bolten on securely by the lugnuts. Not true for Toyota with just eight clips I believe to keep them in place. I'm not going to bother making the wheels look pretty, haha. It's my wife's car and we don't pimp our rides anyway.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well the turning lock certainly is. Possibly something that could be adjusted?
I'm confused as to why they're different. The turning ratio on the Limited is slightly higher, but also for some reason as you say the turning lock is a bit smaller.

If I understand this correctly, this would be the reason for the larger turning radius required for the Limited.

But why? The diameter of their tires are within 0.4", but the stock XLE wheel is actually the bigger one compared to the Limited. I might have guessed the one with the higher turning ratio and lower turning lock might have the bigger wheel.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Here's hoping that the 16" Blizzak tires I bought will do. Each tire says it's able to carry 1,400 lbs of load if I'm not mistaken, this was the first time I paid attention to the load/capacity of a tire, haha.

I was first going to shop for alloy wheels until someone on another forum suggested the costly repairs in the event that they are damaged when running into potholes and such so I sent with steel rims, also from Costco.

I was considering hub caps because on my Civic, they are bolten on securely by the lugnuts. Not true for Toyota with just eight clips I believe to keep them in place. I'm not going to bother making the wheels look pretty, haha. It's my wife's car and we don't pimp our rides anyway.
When I asked my wife how's the ride so far, she says it's good. Then I told her I fitted the car with 215/70R16 BLIZZAK DM-V2 tires. After winter, she can decide if the stock 18" tires still giving a comfortable ride. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
When I asked my wife how's the ride so far, she says it's good. Then I told her I fitted the car with 215/70R16 BLIZZAK DM-V2 tires. After winter, she can decide if the stock 18" tires still giving a comfortable ride. :)
Good to know the 16" rims will still clear the brakes.

^^^
Offset on the wheel might be a factor.
According to this site:

Toyota RAV4 2016 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com

The offset difference is only 1 mm

225/65R17 7Jx17 ET39 5x114.3 M12 x 1.5 60.1

235/55R18 7.5Jx18 ET40 5x114.3 M12 x 1.5 60.1

I guess it's just the width of the tire that is the more important factor. The 18" wheels are 10 mm wider.

Interesting though they had to change the steering limits going from 17" on the XLE to 18" rims on the Limited. Perhaps then they wouldn't recommend putting 18" rims on the XLE. Could they rub?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Damn. Never gave the brakes a thought. Good thing it worked out though I could have returned them for 17", likely losing the Bridgestone $70 discount.

I bought the tires in November but at that time, I only was able to check equivalence on tirerack.com and the 2016's weren't out yet.

If Costco was able to install them, does that mean they (rims) cleared the brakes? Anything I have to watch out for, like when the tires are at the extreme position, which should be held for too long anyway?

This is the rims I got from Costco:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49jnI2SkaiTeFlVUEVzZWNVbEE/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
20 Posts
so I had the highlander rims, they did not clear the front brakes, even if you want to put spacers in the front, it would make the lugs too short... ended up getting aftermarket rims.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts