Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Hybrid vs Gas - Cabin and Engine noise ?

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  B.Mike 
#1 ·
I'm stuck between Gas XLE and Hybrid XLE.
Did anyone experience both cars, and could compare the noise between the two ?
I did quick test drive of both, but that was 5min drive and I couldn't really tell the difference.
I never drove in Hybrid before so I'm unsure how they act, when EV mode works and when Gas kicks in.

#3 ·
Most people have written that the HV rides smoother. The HV will certainly be quieter in most circumstances, except when pulling hard where the ICE revs up. The Rav4 HV is certainly a good deal quieter than the Prius models.

If you're really on the fence, you need to spend more than 5 min in each one.

#5 ·
If you're really on the fence, you need to spend more than 5 min in each one.
+1

A good seller should give you the tine tou need to make your decision. Mine, when i returned, let me go alone with the car so i was able to make my own idea.

I finally went with the hybrid because i felt it was more enjoyable to drive for my driving style. If you like fast passings on the highway and hard accelerations, you might prefer the gas version.

Its important to try it to its extremes (floor it while entering on the highway, while going from 60 to 70, etc...) but also spend some time driving as you drive normally without caring about all displays and gauges present in that car. Just "feel" it. Don't loose time trying to figure how the mode buttons change how the car behave. Its negligeable.

#4 ·
Did anyone experience both cars, and could compare the noise between the two?
We drove both, though not back-to-back, and I didn't notice any difference. Had our Hybrid on the freeway yesterday to test the radar cruise control (it works!) and it seemed fairly quiet. You really need to drive each one, back-to-back, along the exact same route and decide for yourself.

#7 ·
Exactly, but from a "cabin and Engine noise" point of view, I think its important to point out where the gas and hybrid behave differently.

IMO, the way the CVT behave when you floor it on the highway can be anoying for some, it is for me. But, still imo, the vehicule feel better and more refined for every other situations: in town driving, highway coasting and most of "normal" accelerations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.