Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi recently, I rented 2015 rav4 for about a week. And I thought it handled going over potholes and bumpy roads better than my hybrid rav4 does. Hope it's not true for the others. How are your hybrids handling going over potholes? Do you feel it more than the other cars? Or I hope my hybrid's shock struts are functioning ok!

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's true from my experience, I used to own a 2008 CRV and it's better than my current 2016 Hybrid. On the positive side, my Rav4 is better in cornering than my crv.

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
True for an XLE with 17" rubber compared to a Limited, but the Limited in either Hybrid or gas is going to ride harder than an XLE with the bigger wheels and less side wall of the Limited's 18s. I've driven two XLE hybrids for about an hour total, I drove a '15 Limited gas for a year, my Limited Hybrid rides a bit better and a lot quieter than the '15 gas, but not as soft as the '16 XLE Hybrid did on its 17" rubber.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hnmm, that's interesting because I have a xle hybrid which I think I'm little afraid going over potholes with but are you saying that the limited ones may be even worse on going over potholes/bumpy roads than the xle? :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
What pressure are you running in your tires? I had 17" on my 2006 4.3 V6 which rode a bit softer than the 2015 18".

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the tire pressure adjusting might have helped. It's been driving better! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
My XLE Hybrid had the tire pressure set at 40 psi. I'm sure that lowering it to 32-35 psi would greatly improve the ride quality but hurt the mpg average.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what's your mpg at now? Getting warmer is definitely helping to mine. This is what I got today after about 10 miles driving after filling it up. About 3 miles at 35mph and 7 miles at 76mph:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
. I'm sure that lowering it to 32-35 psi would greatly improve the ride quality but hurt the mpg average.
Those are 2 assumptions that may not be born out by actual experience. The newer low profile tires don't behave like older tires that all these type assumptions are based on. You have to test it and see. Ride quality can be much the same at ANY pressure with a low profile tire. MPG may or may not be different.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Those are 2 assumptions that may not be born out by actual experience. The newer low profile tires don't behave like older tires that all these type assumptions are based on. You have to test it and see. Ride quality can be much the same at ANY pressure with a low profile tire. MPG may or may not be different.
HUH????? Are you saying that a low profile, or any profile tire will ride the same at 40 psi than at 30 psi and will have the same rolling resistance? What do you consider to be a low profile tire? I believe it to be a tire that has an aspect ratio that is LESS than 50 and based on that I don't think my 225/65R17's could even qualify as low profile. Check out some of the hypermiler forums as they will give you a good understanding of psi vs mpg.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can only compare a Prius vs. Rav4 hybrid. I think you know the results already. Just a couple days ago I drove over two monster potholes, and the Rav4 took it like a champ.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I couldn't agree more! I traded in my 2011 Cruze Eco 6MT (with tires inflated to 45psi) for my RAV4 and the ride difference is like night and day. FWIW, the Cruze did average 40.2 mpg over 86,000 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts