Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dash lights and MFD screen on my 2016 XLE hybrid seem to be programmed wrong by Toyota. Compared to my previous two hybrids (2004 Prius, 2012 Prius V) the dash lights and MFD between the gauges dim automatically whenever the lights are on and/or the daylight sensor detects it's dark enough outside but not as they should (compared to the Prius)

On the Prius's, the dash brightness goes to whatever your dimmer setting is on the dash when you either turn on the headlights or the brightness sensor detects you're driving in the dark. In full daylight, however, the dash is at full brightness regardless of the dimmer setting. On the Rav4, however, both the daytime and nighttime brightness appears to follow the dash-mounted brightness control regardless of whether the daylight sensor says it's daytime or not.

This is aggravating and requires turning up the brightness in the daytime and turning it down again at night. Does anyone else see this behaviour or is it just my Rav4 hybrid that's doing this? Seems like it will eventually cause the brightness potentiometer to fail. I NEVER had to adjust it this much on my previous hybrids. It was always "set it and forget it".

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The system does have "day mode" and "night mode" for the nav display. This is bypassed if the dash light adjustment is at full bright.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but it stays at full brightness when nighttime is sensed. On a Prius, it's at full daytime brightness in daylight and drops to your preset nighttime brightness when the sensor detects nightfall. That's how it SHOULD work on the the Rav4 but it doesn't.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I beg to differ. Night mode uses reversed shading on the display. Background is black instead of grey. There's no "preset brightness" AFAIK other than the global brightness and contrast settings for nav and camera.

Page 40 in the nav manual.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the XLE hybrid, the center display between the gauges is dimmed both day and night as are the illuminated tick-marks around the gauge bezels by the rotary knob on the left lower dash. That is different than the Prius family and it not conducive to being able to see the display in the daytime. If I want to see it I have to turn up the daytime and turn it down again at night. That's just wrong.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
My mistake, I though this was about the nav display. In any case I don't have any trouble seeing it, except when there's glare from the dash. Tinted windows helps.
The MFD does change brightness with headlights on or off, but it also dims with the knob in each case. Only the display changes, the gauges do not.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can change those sensivity settings and brightness settings using something like a Carista OBD adaptor. I have one and changed a bunch of settings on our cars...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to look into it at the dealership. Their diagnostic tool can do all that too I suppose. I wasn't aware the preference for day/night rheostat mode was configurable.

I want Daytime = full brightness

Nighttime = preset level selected by rheostat

The sensitivity of the day/night sensor is adjustable as is the delay time but I'm not too sure about the preference of the adjuster day vs. night...

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Yes, but it stays at full brightness when nighttime is sensed. On a Prius, it's at full daytime brightness in daylight and drops to your preset nighttime brightness when the sensor detects nightfall. That's how it SHOULD work on the the Rav4 but it doesn't.
It will work like that if you roll the dimmer "one down" from full brightness. Just roll it up to the bump, but not over to the stop.

Wife's '15 XLE will automatically dim when we go into a tunnel even if the headlights are off or it's only on DRL.

I WISH my '16 Corolla S "Premium" did that... it switches with the headlights... unless the dimmer is over the bump, then it's in day mode 24/7 like the Rav.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't EVER want to readjust that dimmer. Once I set the nighttime brightness I NEVER should need to touch it. On a Prius the daytime brightness is NOT adjustable (the dimmer does nothing).

But on this 2016 Rav4 XLE Hybrid the darned thing seems to affect the daytime brightness too. When I get it adjusted the way I like for nighttime driving and then go out the next morning I can't see the darned multifunction display between the gauges and the gauges are hard to read too.

Toyota - FIX THIS!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I don't EVER want to readjust that dimmer. Once I set the nighttime brightness I NEVER should need to touch it. On a Prius the daytime brightness is NOT adjustable (the dimmer does nothing).

But on this 2016 Rav4 XLE Hybrid the darned thing seems to affect the daytime brightness too. When I get it adjusted the way I like for nighttime driving and then go out the next morning I can't see the darned multifunction display between the gauges and the gauges are hard to read too.

Toyota - FIX THIS!!!!!
Sounds like the XLE hybrid works similarly to the Corolla.
Now that you mention it, yes, the dimmer DOES change both the daytime and nighttime levels, but it switches between the two with the headlights, rather than automatically.

Sucks that they took a step backwards with the '16 XLE, but it's Toyota... no surprise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts