Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time, I have found a bunch of leaves and debris under the driver's side hood hinge. I can barely reach in to get them out...and thinking I may not want to with all of the strange creatures we have here on south Florida. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this...I find it odd.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
That's weird. Can you wash it out with the garden hose?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, very odd...and having owned many cars that collected debris like this, realize it contributes to future rusting issues. I don't think there's any place for it to go, so think hosing it out is out of the question. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have had it here in northern Iowa all the time! It doesn't work that well to hose it out usually. I have found it easiest to try and use an air compressor instead. If that doesn't work, I cleared mine out really well when I run new wires through the firewall. (You have to take off the wipers, wiper motor, cowl, etc but you get really easy access to all of it)

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Most of what you can't reach with a gloved hand you could get with a pair of long hemostats or even two sticks used like chopsticks. Then blow the rest out with compressed air or a leaf blower. But keep the processes dry since water might only force some of it farther in.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Common on every car I've ever owned that got parked outside under a tree.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Common on every car I've ever owned that got parked outside under a tree.
Mine too. But w/o cavities for it to drop into a few seconds with the leaf blower takes care of it.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
We sometimes have that problem with both fir needles and leaves. I've used a vacuum cleaner, avoids getting debris all over and in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am the queen of strange questions...
Don't worry about the odd questions! Chances are if you have it, someone else either has the same question, will run into the same question/problem, or has seen it and knows how to solve/answer it! I appreciate all the random/strange questions and have even asked a few myself! We all get to learn something new!

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
We sometimes have that problem with both fir needles and leaves. I've used a vacuum cleaner, avoids getting debris all over and in the engine compartment.
Yep, that's probably the best answer for the OP - a shop vac with a long thin nozzle attachment.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, thanks for the shop vac idea! I hadn't even thought about that. Gonna give it a good once over today or over the weekend. Good thing is that even if it rains, it won't matter with a wet/dry vac.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts