Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took delivery of a 2017 Prius base with upgrade package in pearl white and traded in my thirsty 2013 Rav4 LTD. I was getting no where near acceptable fuel mileage but my JBL stereo was still awesome. :D

So far my average fuel consumption is 4.8lt/100km(50 US MPG) on snow tires. My last tank in the Rav was 14lt/100kms(17 US MPG). On the highway I got into the 30's but in town killed it.

I loved the Rav and what it could do. Great in the snow...great at swallowing what I threw in it and loved driving it. But it's a thirsty pig.

Been great while I was here but I bid you adieu. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Congrats! My wife got 52mpg in her '15 Prius on her last roadtrip to the Olympic peninsula and back, awesome! Kinda humbling when she compares that to the 36-37mpg I get in my HV, but we're happy!

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Glad that you are satisfied with your new ride. My V-6 RAV still delivers the MPG that I can live with.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Gas prices are much higher in Canada especially BC. Surprise you didn't go for a hybrid. I get consistent 7.3/100 km.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, which level trim is that?

Base with upgrade package.

Which gives you;

• Heated Front Seats
  • Pre-Collision System
  • Lane Departure Alert
  • Auto High Beam
  • Dynamic Radar Cruise Control

But on the first day there are 3 things that don't work well in snow country. Radar cruise, lane departure and LED headlights. The snow builds up in front of the radar, covers the lines on the road and theres no heat from LEDs.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
That car reminds me of something..........

·
Registered
132 Posts
Base with upgrade package.

Which gives you;

• Heated Front Seats
  • Pre-Collision System
  • Lane Departure Alert
  • Auto High Beam
  • Dynamic Radar Cruise Control

But on the first day there are 3 things that don't work well in snow country. Radar cruise, lane departure and LED headlights. The snow builds up in front of the radar, covers the lines on the road and theres no heat from LEDs.
Huh, I never thought of that, but I guess that's true with LEDs - that they don't produce enough heat to melt ice from the headlights.

How does it perform in the snow with snow tires on?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have to agree with the city fuel economy on the RAV. Around town, I am getting about 13 km/L in the city lately. Close to what I was getting with my 6 cyl. Sienna. I am seriously considering a hybrid for my next car.

Just saw the CR-V with the 1.5 turbo gets about 10% less combine fuel economy than a RAV4 hybrid so it may be on my short list as well when my lease is up. I do like the RAV4 Hybrid but the price here in Canada would be over $100 a month more compared to the 2015 AWD Limited I drive now. Completely cost prohibitive, I would never save $100 a month on gas! Good luck with your Prius, I maybe driving one in a year too!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How does it perform in the snow with snow tires on?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
No snow on the ground to tell yet.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Agree with you on RAV4 Hybrid pricing in Canada. Especially in BC. I only got a C$1000 off on a cash sale without trade in.
Compared to US, my Hybrid XLE do have more standard options than US equivalent.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We did the opposite. Went from a 2010 Prius to a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid LTD.

We waited and waited for the next gen 2016 Prius and initially went to the dealership to test drive and order one when it finally came out.

After a couple of visits, we drove away with a RAV4.

There were a couple of reasons. The Mrs. didn't like the new exterior styling. It didn't bother me. The interior and wraparound dash seemed a little claustrophobic to both of us.

But mainly we realized we are both getting a little older and more rickety and it's a lot easier getting in and out of the RAV4. We also enjoy the more spacious interior. The extra cargo space is a bonus.

Still like the Prius, though. It feels more like a purpose-built hybrid and seems to have better electronics and safety features than the same model year RAV4. And we sure miss 50MPG. I'm hearing reports of 60MPG averages with the latest generation. Jealous!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts