Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's only 8 l/100, us 29mpg on 840km us 540 miles driving so i meet dealer, he said its nomal... i am so frustrating because of this. What you guys think?? Is it nomal? Or i need to go dealer again?? What is normal consumption for rav4 hybrid? Thank you!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is only 8 l/100, us 29mpg on 840km us 540 miles driving so i meet dealer, he said its nomal... i am so frustrating because of this. What you guys think?? Is it nomal? Or i need to go dealer again?? What is normal consumption for rav4 hybrid? Thank you!
My RAV4H’s average is now 6,59 l/100 km for the first 14 237 km. My daily commute is 28+28 km plus 2-3 times a month longer trips over 200 km.

Driving on the highways over 130 km/h raises the fuel consumpion over 7,5 l/100 km or driving only very short trips (<6 km) daily would increase the fuel consumption easely over 8 l/100 km - in addition depending on the weather temperature.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My RAV4H’s average is now 6,59 l/100 km for the first 14 237 km. My daily commute is 28+28 km plus 2-3 times a month longer trips over 200 km.

Driving on the highways over 130 km/h raises the fuel consumpion over 7,5 l/100 km or driving only very short trips (<6 km) daily would increase the fuel consumption easely over 8 l/100 km - in addition depending on the weather temperature.
hello ,

i´m very worry with the consumtion in city ( I dont have yet the Rav Hibrid ) you say in a short trip ( <6Km) you have a consumption of 8l/100Km ??? in short trips at 60km/h the car doenst work only in electric mode?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes 100% city consumption is 8L/100km, I go to work daily at least 10km (6.2mi) one way trips(only city). I think ev mode also works but don't know its working proper or not because I tested with dealer and he said it's working good and it's nomal consumption because this car is so heavy. In there my consumption read 8.4L/100km with around 400km trips.
That's why I am really confusing my car has problem? or am I missed something in my driving?. I am so stressful now.

·
Registered
324 Posts
On average, I find it takes about 15 to 20 mins for the engine to warm up and the battery to reach full charge for optimal efficiency. Short trips under this time affect fuel economy. Also, outside temps and use of heat or a/c will affect how much fuel I use.
Besides that, how you drive will affect your numbers. Hard braking and hard starts affect fuel economy just like any other car. Driving smoothly (coasting more to maximise regen., driving at reasonable speeds etc) will help your numbers. It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your car, I think you need to try driving with efficiency in mind and your numbers will improve. .

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
There's a learning curve to driving a hybrid for the best fuel economy, I make short drives regularly(6-8 miles), as long as the weather is moderately warm and the ICE warms up quickly, good fuel economy can be had using good hybrid driving techniques. In cooler weather it's not as easy because it takes longer for the ICE to reach normal operating temp.

Hybrid Driving Tips: Maximize MPG, Minimize Cost

·
Registered
33 Posts
You will get different opinions here all the way around. Figure out the way you drive, what minor adjustments you can make to your normal method and then adapt to the minor changes in methodology of driving. Hybrids are a different machine and minor adjustments can make better mpg/kpl.

I (my wife) bought a Rav4 Hybrid Limited 6 weeks ago. The first 1500 miles we got a total of 30.5 mpg. When my wife drives she got about 29. I got 32 - 33 mpg. I have noticed on our last two trips of 60 miles round trip that we were getting about 1 mpg more. (BTW. I don't drive for the purpose of seeing how I can out-mpg everyone else.) I have a daughter that lives about 120 miles from me on 2 lane highway with a 55 mph speed limit and regularly partrolled. We got 34 - 35 on the one trip we made there.

I have a 2009 Camry Hybrid and I "average" 34 mpg on it. My wife had a 2010 Prius and averaged 42 - 43 most of the time while I would average a good 3 mpg better on average. This included short and long trips of 100 plus miles. Our RAV4 Hybrid is about the same weight of my Camry but the RAV is higher and has less wind resistance. It also has more power. I have discovered that I get better mph in and around town on the RAV than on my Camry as the EVS kicks in, and stays in more than on my older Camry. This brings the MPG up.

What decreases MPG:
Quick take offs
Less Wind resistance
Some road surfaces are less MPG friendly than others.
Open roads with less trees around - I live in an area of flat land. I drive 32 miles daily on flat (level) open farm 4 lane highway that is straight (one curve). No trees. A 3 to 5 mph breeze from the direction I am going greatly affects my mpg. When I am on an interstate with trees lining both sides (and I do this once a month) I have found that the trees make the wind flow above the highway lane and I get better mpg (2 to 3mpg) even on hills than I do on the 4 lane straight and flat highway. This is over several years of experience.

Watch the EVS light and use that to increase speed (stay within a speed increase that allows the EVS light to stay on); increasing speed too fast will cause the use of gas.

Contrary to a recent post in which a few stated that they calculate their averages from gas put into the tank, I use the gauge and find it accurate. It was accurate on our Prius, is accurate on my Camry and seems accurate on my RAV4 Hybrid. Calculating the MPG from the gas pump at the gas station can be very inaccurate. Different pumps within the same gas station pump at different rates. High filling rates cause the handle to release before the tank is full. Slower rates can and will fill the tank a full gallon to 1.5 gallons more. That can make a huge difference in calculating the real mpg. There is more to this than just that, but relying on how much one puts into the tank by when the handle cuts off leads to inaccuracies.

I suspect that you will get somewhat better milage after you have 2000 miles/3000 kilometers on it. Slowing down the rate of acceleration will help a lot. My wife gets aggravated at my slower acceleration than she does, but she also get aggravated that I get to the destination within a minute or two of projection.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes 100% city consumption is 8L/100km, I go to work daily at least 10km (6.2mi) one way trips(only city). I think ev mode also works but don't know its working proper or not because I tested with dealer and he said it's working good and it's nomal consumption because this car is so heavy. In there my consumption read 8.4L/100km with around 400km trips.
That's why I am really confusing my car has problem? or am I missed something in my driving?. I am so stressful now.
It depends on how you drive and which mode do you use. I use Eco mode most of the time because it is smooth and gives you best consumption. If I want to be sporty I press the Sport button but the consumption jumps to 9l/100km or more. I barely use Normal mode.
I'm getting best consumption on longer trips without highways. In the city it depends but usually it is 5 - 7 l/100km. It is very sensitive to driving style. In the city my trips are usually about 10km.
Play with the hybrid it is fun and by time you will learn how to get good consumption. On highways expect 7,5 - 8 l/100km it is normal. Up to 80km/h you can play with the automatic EV mode trying to keep the needle in the ECO zone (EV light is on).

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is one of the worsest situation for hybrid. If you drive only 10 km trip in the mornings and in the evenings warming up of the motor needs fuel twice a day and during that short trip this will affect the average consumption.

RAV4H has two modes,

1. If you like to save fuel you can achieve it by driving smoothly.
2. If you like to drive aggressively it is very possible because of high performance of the car, but you will pay for it by higher fuel consumption.

I like RAV4H because I can realize the both modes by one car depending on my own mood, but I am aware of the consequences regarding the fuel consumption.

I’m sure that you will also love RAV4H later after learning you own style to drive it. My experience is that you save about 30 % of fuel compared to a normal gas model of RAV4.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have an in-city trip that's around 5 miles each way. On the trip over that has a downhill slope, I get between 40-60MPG (4-6L/100KM) depends how well I am able to drive slowly and maximize use of the EV mode. On the trip back, so would be slightly uphill, I get 28-32MPG (7.5-8.5L/100KM).

BTW, so frustrating that USA has not yet converted to metric system. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
My daily commute is mainly in the city and I average 6.5l/100km in the warmer summer months and 8.2l/100km in the harsh Canadian winter months.
I have travelled 20000 km so far.
I am very happy with consumption comparing to my 2013 rav4 in which I averaged 10l/100km.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My daily commute is mainly in the city and I average 6.5l/100km in the warmer summer months and 8.2l/100km in the harsh Canadian winter months.
I have travelled 20000 km so far.
I am very happy with consumption comparing to my 2013 rav4 in which I averaged 10l/100km.
Where are you located exactly?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is only 8 l/100, us 29mpg on 840km us 540 miles driving so i meet dealer, he said its nomal... i am so frustrating because of this. What you guys think?? Is it nomal? Or i need to go dealer again?? What is normal consumption for rav4 hybrid? Thank you!
It's quite normal and will get even higher in winter (if you have such). Toyotas ad figures are only reachable with warm motor and easy driving.
OffT "BTW, so frustrating that USA has not yet converted to metric system." only US and Burma to go ;-D

·
Registered
46 Posts
One question please, its possible run 3km in electic mode at 50km/h ? After that its necessary run how many km to recharge battery?

·
Registered
422 Posts
One question please, its possible run 3km in electic mode at 50km/h ? After that its necessary run how many km to recharge battery?

Yes you can get that far. Generally it's best to not use EV mode and let the car decide. Recharge is dependent on many factors so cannot really say.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's quite normal and will get even higher in winter (if you have such). Toyotas ad figures are only reachable with warm motor and easy driving.
OffT "BTW, so frustrating that USA has not yet converted to metric system." only US and Burma to go ;-D
I understand refineries blends gas differently for cold weather to facilitate cold start with some loss of efficiency.

Canada uses a mix of metric and imperial measurements. We use km/h and liters. Our gallon(imp) is 4.3 liters. Talk about confusing. And we're next door to US.

Reactions: Iero1

·
Registered
38 Posts
Toyota Canada declares normal fuel consumption numbers for RAV4 as follows:
Hybrid: 6.9 City/7.8 Hwy L/100 km and the same parameters for Non-hybrid RAV4 2.5 l are 10 City/7.8 Hwy
In Europe the same parameters are declared 4.9/5.1 - it is rediculous and not achievable in normal trafic.

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/rav4/overview

I believe that these numbers are guite right in practice and can be achieved as year average. Today I cruised on country side and in a city about 80 km and my average was 5.9 l/100 km. Outside temperature was +18 centigrades Celsius.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts