Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave my 2015 RAV4 LE to my daughter. It was mistake buying LE. This time I bought Limited, added all options, fully loaded!! Only one thing I need to add -- remote start. Dealer told me don't select this option, because the range of Toyota remote start is very short. I'll install it late.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good luck with new ride, what color did you go with. I did the Idatalink remote start which uses the oem fob. Yes short range!!, " but I knew this going in and also installed dronemobile smartphone interface. Cost me $150 for both modules(I installed it myself). dronemobile subscription is $119 for 3 years.

Sent from my R1 PLUS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought Electric Storm Blue. My wife doesn't like the color. I still have time to change color because I'll get the vehicle between 6/15-6/20 (I pay cash for $2000 discount, but I don't have enough cash until 6/15).

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I have 2011 Rav4 and got my Compustar 2way remote starter installed at Bestbuy for 260.00. if you can wait Bestbuy always has deals around Back Friday. The good thing about the Compustar is I can use my fob (distance is much shorter than 2way) as well as the 2way remote that comes with the system. With the Viper system you can only use their remote Heres an old link to the one I got.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9548732-compustar-2-way-led-vehicle-remote-starter-kit-w-installation-260-free-s-h?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

You should also check your local installers to see whats available and compare their features and prices.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought Electric Storm Blue. My wife doesn't like the color. I still have time to change color because I'll get the vehicle between 6/15-6/20 (I pay cash for $2000 discount, but I don't have enough cash until 6/15).
Didn't care for the blue when bought my rav4, but I just recently seen one at the dealership and it caught my eye. Not sure the way the sun was hitting it or the cleanliness but it definitely caught my eye. Best of luck.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 2011 Rav4 and got my Compustar 2way remote starter installed at Bestbuy for 260.00. if you can wait Bestbuy always has deals around Back Friday. The good thing about the Compustar is I can use my fob (distance is much shorter than 2way) as well as the 2way remote that comes with the system. With the Viper system you can only use their remote Heres an old link to the one I got.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9548732-compustar-2-way-led-vehicle-remote-starter-kit-w-installation-260-free-s-h?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

You should also check your local installers to see whats available and compare their features and prices.
I'll do that after I get my car. $260 is good deal. Thanks

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck with new ride, what color did you go with. I did the Idatalink remote start which uses the oem fob. Yes short range!!, " but I knew this going in and also installed dronemobile smartphone interface. Cost me $150 for both modules(I installed it myself). dronemobile subscription is $119 for 3 years.

Is it hard to install? I did 1-way remote start on my 2008 Honda Civic. It was not hard. I've never done 2-way remote start installation. Is iDatalink a bypass module? What remote start do you use? Could you give me links that you bought kits from. Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is it hard to install? I did 1-way remote start on my 2008 Honda Civic. It was not hard. I've never done 2-way remote start installation. Is iDatalink a bypass module? What remote start do you use? Could you give me links that you bought kits from. Thanks
The idatalink is a bypass module(1way) that will remote start the rav4 by pressing the lock button 3 times on oem fob. It only works on pts rav4. The install isnt that hard especially if you have already installed a remote start before.

1, load firmware to idatalink module (need programming cable $30 approx ) or some eBay sellers will do it for you. If you plan on doing dronemobile you need to install different version) let me know and I can you give you exact
file name.

2, using T-taps connect 4 wires at inside ecu and 3 wires on steering lock connector(need to remove plastic steering collar cover 2 screws and it snaps off.) and ground wire.

3.program unit to oem fob.

If you plan to do drone mobile that plugs into idatalink module but you must reverse blue and wire on interface cable and splice +12v and ground to interface cable. It took me like 2 hours the first time and I have done a few now in about 1 hour.

If you haven't read just like the Toyota remote start the idatalink will shut the car off when you open the door to get in. It's was explained to me they want the drive to restart the car upon entry to make sure the keys are in the car.

Let me know if you need ebay vendor to flash and I will give you link to vendor that flashes firmware.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My RAV4 has Smart key. I don't know how remote start work on that. Because after remote started the car, I need put key in, and turn the key to ON position. Now with smart key, do I push the smart key button or I have to use the regular key?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Asked my dealer about Toyota remote start and it was $900!

I'll install my own!
Pretty much why I did mine also, I asked around town and was getting quotes of like 600 to do PTS camry. I also found many didn't know what was entailed to PTS car. I started researching and found it was easier than a car with a regular key. I have know done my rav4, my 2 camry's and 2 camry's for family.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My RAV4 has Smart key. I don't know how remote start work on that. Because after remote started the car, I need put key in, and turn the key to ON position. Now with smart key, do I push the smart key button or I have to use the regular key?
Smart key remote starts work differently, unfortunately once you open the door the remote start shuts down and you must start the car back up with the start button. This is how it works on the oem and aftermarket remote starts. I have read(not sure if it's true) it is because their afraid you can get into the car and leave the smart key out and drive off without smart key.

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Where can I connect constant 12V?
What do you want to connect to it. Depending on draw there's a wire in overhead console. I can look for which color and connector tomorrow . If it's something that requires large drawer I would probably just pull new wire from battery which is what i did for my front rear power outlets to convert to constant 12v.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I add LED light in glove box.
The wire in the overhead console will be fine. It should be to bad to run wire, tuck above headliner and down a-pillar into glove box. How are switching the light on-off?

I'll get the wire info tomorrow, I have been using wire for my homelink mirror for past couple of months.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts