Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with lemons? Pre-Covid era I bought a new 2020 Toyota Rav 4 hybrid. Today for the second time in a month, I press the button to start and a loud winding down noise happened in the front engine. The electrical system went completely dark, and the engine wouldn’t even turn over. Door locks don’t work, lights, hazard lights, nothing. A month ago this happened and Toyota roadside service jumped it. We brought it to Toyota service. After “diagnosing” it they promptly handed us the keys back and said it’s working perfectly fine. Anyway, I suppose it’s pure coincidence this is a 2020 model? I’ve had many cars in my time and even the oldest and most used cars didn’t break down like this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Anyone have experience with lemons? Pre-Covid era I bought a new 2020 Toyota Rav 4 hybrid. Today for the second time in a month, I press the button to start and a loud winding down noise happened in the front engine. The electrical system went completely dark, and the engine wouldn’t even turn over. Door locks don’t work, lights, hazard lights, nothing. A month ago this happened and Toyota roadside service jumped it. We brought it to Toyota service. After “diagnosing” it they promptly handed us the keys back and said it’s working perfectly fine. Anyway, I suppose it’s pure coincidence this is a 2020 model? I’ve had many cars in my time and even the oldest and most used cars didn’t break down like this.
Sounds like the mysterious 12 volt battery drain gremlin. It happened to me once in my 15,000 miles so far, fortunately in my garage. I bought a 12v jumper pack to take along whenever I go somewhere overnight. they are small and are priced in the $50 to $120 range. Cheap insurance. I hope, and suspect that sooner or later Toyota will figure this out. A little egg on Toyota's face, if you ask me.

·
Super Moderator
10,366 Posts
Reactions: TheGoldenV

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem. Today Toyota told me to trickle charge my 2020 Rav4 Hybrid ever time I park it. I can't make this up.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,233 Posts

Document and then document.

Then insist the dealer apply the DCM fix and replace the battery that has been damaged by repeated total draw-down. It is well known that repeated draw-downs as caused by the 2020 hardware/firmware mismatch will degrade the long term life of the battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: had my dead $40k suv towed to Toyota. They said on 10/6/20 a firmware update came out. My car died on 10/14 for the first time; they only ran a diagnostic at the time but didn’t research on their internal Toyota network, so they didn’t know to do an update (?) Anyway, this time (died on 11/16, and towed to Toyota today on 11/20) they discovered the firmware update was needed. They also tested my battery and it was beyond dead so they replaced the battery AND installed the firmware update. Let’s hope that does the trick!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Update: had my dead $40k suv towed to Toyota.
You Know What..
I have a 21' Hybrid Limited $41K unit myself.
If A-N-Y of the problems I've read throughout this Rav4 Forum rear their ugly heads on my unit JUST ONCE.. It's gone.

I only have 1 month and about 350 miles on mine.. so we'll see.
This is my 7th Toyota spanning 28 years.. NONE of those units ( Camry's ) had these Wild Issues I'm seeing with the Rav4. My only saving grace is it's a 21' and built in Japan.. Hopefully those 2 things will make a difference.

Good Luck with your New Battery & Flashed Software..

·
Registered
253 Posts
If A-N-Y of the problems I've read throughout this Rav4 Forum rear their ugly heads on my unit JUST ONCE.. It's gone.

This is my 7th Toyota spanning 28 years.. NONE of those units ( Camry's ) had these Wild Issues I'm seeing with the Rav4. My only saving grace is it's a 21' and built in Japan.. Hopefully those 2 things will make a difference.
My 2020 XSE was made in Japan so not sure if "made in Japan" makes any difference. I got a new battery and firmware update. Not sure if you are immune to any issues just because you forked out "$41k".

·
Registered
20 Posts
You Know What..

Good Luck with your New Battery & Flashed Software..
So you'd get rid of your Rav4 if you can't get a couple more gallons in it than advertised?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not sure if you are immune to any issues just because you forked out "$41k".
Agreed.
But.. Mine is a 2021.. Not a 2020.. and just assmebled about 60 days ago.
I hope the troubles of the past were addressed with the newer models.

The 2022 Hyundai Tuscon is poised to "Rock The Sub-SUV Market" with its incredible tech.

If need be... I'll just pay the difference and make the switch.
Heck.. I may do that anyway if I come away impressed after a visit to inspect the tech and a test drive..

·
Registered
65 Posts
So you'd get rid of your Rav4 if you can't get a couple more gallons in it than advertised?
:giggle: My Tank is of the Newer variety no issues here..

BEFORE.jpg

MIDDLE.jpg

AFTER.jpg

I'm refering to needing firmware flashes, shaking mirrors, rattles in the interior, pulling to one side of the road or the other or any other quality control issues I'm seeing here on the forums.
I feel those issues SHOULD NOT be present in so many units.
So far.. I LOVE MY 2021 Hybrid Limited.. and hope to get 4 good years and 12 - 16K out of it before I move on to a 2025.. ( Something )
But if ANY of these issues popup.. It will get repaired under warranty and then Traded-In or Sold.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I usually review related forums for all engine powered equipment I buy and found you have to sift though a lot of negative info and comments to find anything useful in helping to decide on a purchase. Most forums are enough to deter anyone from buying anything. Visited this forum before purchasing my new rav and decided this was an excellent vehicle and the only problem I came across of any concern is the dead battery issue that can be remedied with a TSB. The gas tank issues are at most a minor inconvenience and have been elevated to hundreds of replies on multiple forums. That's about it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The gas tank issues are at most a minor inconvenience and have been elevated to hundreds of replies on multiple forums. That's about it!
Ah!
Another Positive Person! :giggle:
Only be mindful if you go Pre-2021 for the financing / Rebates.
Reads like you have no issue going that route and letting Big-T update your vehicle with Soft/Firmware and new parts ( Tank /Sender replacements ). I admire your spirit if thats the route you'll take.
If you go at least 9/20+ builds, you should not have to deal with what you're reading here.

Good Luck and Congrats on your pending purchase.

·
Super Moderator
10,366 Posts
Most forums are enough to deter anyone from buying anything.
Yep, Issues that trouble likely less than 5% of "things" are made to look devastating.

Reactions: KGB4187 and Colonel

·
Registered
Prime XSE Premium, Venza Limited
365 Posts
The 2022 Hyundai Tuscon is poised to "Rock The Sub-SUV Market" with its incredible tech.

Don't know how great of a solution Hyundai is.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep, Issues that trouble likely less than 5% of "things" are made to look devastating.
I don't have any hard numbers to back it up, but "5%" sounds a bit too low. I hope you are right. This issue is not a deal breaker but just annoying. Most people probably don't even know they have this issue hence no or under reporting.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Bout The Same As Toyota Is With Fuel Pumps That Can Cause Your Unit To Drop Dead In It's Tracks..
The 2022 Tucson has already released in the far east... They are America's Test Bed for early issues.
It won't scare me off.. Love their warranty and I LOVE tech.. we are a match made in Heaven :geek:
But.. I also love my R4 H-Limited.. and so far, ( it's only a month in my hands and built 60 days ago )
I have ZERO reason to move on from it ( Only had 3 miles on it and No One Test Drove it but me )

The 2022 Tucson is the " Hot Chick Across The Room That Catches and Keeps Your Eye.." o_O

Even though I've been Married to Toyota for 28 years now.. I can afford a Divorce.. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ah!
Another Positive Person! :giggle:
Only be mindful if you go Pre-2021 for the financing / Rebates.
Reads like you have no issue going that route and letting Big-T update your vehicle with Soft/Firmware and new parts ( Tank /Sender replacements ). I admire your spirit if thats the route you'll take.
If you go at least 9/20+ builds, you should not have to deal with what you're. reading here.

Good Luck and Congrats on your pending purchase.
Bought a 20 XLE Hybrid for the wife last July. Great car! Can fill it up for less than $40. Happy as a clam!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

Its not. They look great. If you think Toyota is "bad" dealing with issues wait until you get a Hyundai and you get blamed for their engine casting error or other such nonsense. Given some of the complaints I have read over the current Rav4...nonway those individuals (not you hope2) would be able to handle/deal with a Hyundai.

I just got in the mail documentation to get money back from them over the Theta II engine fiasco. Car has been gone over a year. It was a 2011. I am not doing it as the car is gone. But how Hyundai handled the whole situation was enough for me to realize they are WAY down the list on "reliability". YMMV though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.