Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thru this site, and buy.com, I just bought the Chilton / Haynes manual for the RAV4.
It is not the latest, because it only goes up to 2002, but since my RAV is a 2001, it's fine for me.
Price was under US$20, including slow-boat shipping, which still got it to me in less than a week.

Looking at the manual, sometimes the text descriptions seemed pretty generic (even with RAV4 illustrations), and I noticed some discrepancies with the Toyota manual, such as 4-tire rotation pattern.

Also, accessing and changing out the parking lamp bulbs only applied to the Gen 1 (2000 and older) RAV, which had a different set-up. I had to previously learn that little trick myself (reach up in the wheel well, and force my hand between the plastic wheelhouse and the metal fender in front of the tire).

Also, I couldn't find something I currently need, the way to change the console shift-postion light bulb that indicates PRNDL21, but there is an explanation on removing the center console bezel, etc.

I enjoyed looking thru the manual, and it will probably come in handy, because I plan to start doing more of my own service work when needed (brakes, etc). There are a lot of photos and wiring diagrams.
All in all, I think it is worth the price. And buying it thru this site helps support the site.

RAV on.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The Haynes/Chilton manuals are OK for most of the basic maintenance, however I know what you mean about being generic, and conflicting with Toyota specs.

When you have the extra money I suggest getting the Genuine Toyota factory service manuals, because they are made specifically for the vehicle, and are far more detailed. I got mine for $50 new off eBay, which is cheap compared to the $200 they cost from the dealer. They're for a 2003 Rav and mine is a 2001, however they work fine because those Ravs are almost identical. Also a parts reference is handy when you need to fix something, those can be had on eBay for under $5.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I definitely agree regarding the parts listing. I bought one of these off ebay for my RAV for only a few bucks and it's already come in handy. Dealer told me that the rear side marker lamp lenses on the RAV4.1 were identical, same p/n, and although they look almost identical, they're not. Checking the parts list I was able to get the right p/n and have the dealer get that one.

J

·
0 Posts
Yeah, they aren't always 100% acurate, but good to have around. Especialy for basic everyday stuff. It's great for, at the very least, locating parts in most cases. :) Like Jeff said, if you can get your hands on the official Toyota service manual, grab it up! Every last detail is in those, and year specific. However, they tend to be more complicated, but you get every detail, and accurate info. :wink:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Awww, geez. Wish you guys would have told me that before I bought my Haynes manual. Had nothing better to buy while at the local Autozone. Well, at least now I know where the control unit is if I ever decided to go with the Jet ecu chip.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The Haynes/Chilton manual works well for soaking up spilled fluids, or you can use the pages for taping off an area when you're painting.

The only problems with the Toyota Factory manual is that even though everything is Rav-specific, some instructions or diagrams are still somewhat vague, and it has no included parts reference. Other than that it's the best manual you can get if you want to work on your Rav. The manual set includes a giant section on dianostics and troubleshooting, so you can find out what to do when you get trouble codes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts