Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a heck of a time finding a straight answer as to what other 3sfe vehicle would be a direct replacement for my daughter's 98! Ive done alot of searching and all i can find are upgrade swaps. She loves her rav and id like to keep her in it.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
There is a point of no return especially with something that old. Even if you find one are you sure it's worth it? I'd sell it for scrap and get something else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough but its such a clean neat little truck and she loves it so a little knowledge from the rav guys and a little wrenching seems like an option still.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
You can go to ebay, there are several 3S-FE engines there. The engine swap is not that difficult, just time consuming.

To get the old engine out you must drop it and the tranny downward.
Get a good manual to walk you through it.
Take lots of photos as you disassemble the engine so that you know where it all goes back.
Perform the following on the new engine while it is out:
- Replace front and rear engine seals
- Replace the oil pan gasket
- Replace the water pump, tensioner pulleys and timing belt. You can get it all as a kit.
- Replace the thermostat, I highly recommend only using an OEM thermostat, I tried aftermarket ones and they all overheated the engine.
- Replace the freeze/expansion plugs
- Remove and clean the intake manifold, change the gasket
- Remove and thoroughly clean the throttle body, replace the coolant lines going to and from the throttle body
- Remove the exhaust manifold and replace the coolant hoses going to the oil cooler and of course replace the exhaust manifold gasket
- Move the EGR VSV to the firewall
- Replace all vacuum lines
- If 5 speed manual tranny, replace clutch, pressure plate, and fly wheel (the fly wheel may be able to be resurfaced if it is in good condition)
- Replace all the engine and transmission mounts
- Replace upper and lower radiator hoses
- Replace transaxle to CV joint seals

I did corrosion control, primed, and painted my engine and tranny while while I had them out.

I completed corrosion control, primed, and painted the entire engine compartment.

I also added a thermal blanket to my firewall to quieten down and keep the passenger compartment cooler.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! You went all out on yours and it looks sweet! Im throwing all of my money into my diesel excursion build right now and i wasnt trying to go crazy on her rav but you are right in what you are telling me. I have access to a number of lower mileage 3sfe motors for next to nothing but they came out every car execpt a rav. Will they bolt up is the million dollar question? Thanks again for the info

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
Hey, if it is a 4wd RAV4 you MUST get a 4wd engine, it has mounting holes in the block for the 4wd transaxle that the 2wd engines don't have.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Then either engine will work.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Oh, by the way, it's the vacuum lines that will drive you crazy if you don't get good photos of where they run.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will any 3sfe work from 98 to 2000? Such as out of a camry ect ect? If so do i just change the mounts or is going to need my old intake and sensors?

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Yes, all the 3S-FE engines will mount up properly except if they are 4wd, then you must have a 4wd engine or risk drilling and tapping the block. You should try to stick with an engine with the same ignition system or you may have to replace the ECM. The 97, 98, 99, and 00 models have electronic ignitions, older engines used distributor caps.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
They should all transfer over, but don't get rid of your old engine until you have pulled all the useful parts and spares off of it. It is possible that the manifolds may be different because of engine compartment arrangement, but I believe they are all the same.

You will be disassembling part of the front suspension to get the engine out, the lower control arm is not very expensive and is about the same as buying one aftermarket than buying the parts and rebuilding it (and it's a lot easier). You will need new bushings for the stabilizer bar and probably end links as well.

Amazon.com, rockauto.com, and other sites are your friend. You will spend a fortune at Toyota and less but still a pile of bucks at the brick and mortar stores. Plan your work, order the parts and she won't cost you so much to get back on the road.

I know that some folks will voice their opinion to junk her and move on, but as long as corrosion or accident damage hasn't messed her up, she'll continue to live a long safe life. And, once you finish you know that she's good to go. Of course, this is all based on you and your daughter doing the work yourselves, if you are paying a shop to do it then stop now it isn't worth it. And never take a old vehicle to the stealerships for work, they will rob you blind.

I highly recommend getting a Bluetooth OBDII scanner that will talk to your phone or tablet to help with maintenance and diagnostics. Also, YouTube is your friend when it comes to diagnostics.

Check out my garage and see what I've done to mine, and now it's actually better than new.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Continue the thread and keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again, i will keep you guys updated. Do you know the difference between the vin 5th didgit p and the 5th didgit s? And im seeing people having some problems with the donor engine having 8 holes on the flywheel but all of the pics ive seen they have 6!?! Mine should have 6 right? Btw the rav has zero rust and is brand new interior wise. im in the rust belt that is michigan so its hars to just let this gem go to the bone yard!

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Yes you actually have a flexplate, you will have to see which bolt pattern you have. I have heard that some are 6 and some are 8 bolt patterns but it shouldn't make any difference should it? Your replacement engine should already have a flexplate mounted and as long as no teeth are missing and it's not cracked you should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts