Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hey i used one of those windex cleaners. And now it seems I keep getting streaking from paper towels or dried out cleaner left on windshield. What advice do people have for using any cleaner on windshield? Is it the paper towel?
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Are you are using a pre-wetted Windex pack? They are okay for the inside of the window but for the outside I find I have to use an industrial strength professional foaming cleaner with a big, clean micro-fiber rag. The car wash puts wax on the windshield which seems to react with Windex. A mess.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I rethink this, I believe that the windshield washer fluid I buy might be part of my problem too? Doesn't that stuff leave a film on your windows? Also I think the car wash soap does not come off completely. I will have to try the invisible glass cleaner. I used it before a long time ago.

I also believe air pollution is part of problem. I park on a busy street so windows are always dirty. It use to be I could get them pretty clean with no film left over.
Who knows what causing it. thanks

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
What advice do people have for using any cleaner on windshield? Is it the paper towel?
thanks
Try using a page of wadded up newspaper instead of a paper towel. Trick I learned many years ago from a pro window washer, works with Windex. Useful on any window, household or auto.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey i used one of those windex cleaners. And now it seems I keep getting streaking from paper towels or dried out cleaner left on windshield. What advice do people have for using any cleaner on windshield? Is it the paper towel?
thanks
Windex is for home windows. Auto glass gets really nasty environmental contaminates that Windex can't remove. Try using a dedicated auto glass cleaner. I like Meguiar's G8224 Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner.
Amazon.com: Meguiar's G8224 Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner - 24 oz.: Automotive

If you really want the very best cleaning job, use a clay bar on all your glass. It will remove every contaminant, and leave a crystal clear glass. You won't believe your windshield could ever be this clear. I use it on the inside too, as the dash vinyl out-gassing leaves a film that is difficult to remove.

Amazon.com: Mothers 07240 California Gold Clay Bar System: Automotive

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just read last night on detailer forum to never use any product on the windows that has ammonia. The ammonia will ruin your OEM tinted windows. Invisible glass is the recommended product. I just bought some today at Dollar General for $4.00

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Newspaper is full of ink. The ink takes weeks to truly dry. Now, unprinted newspaper is something else, and you are unlikely to find any.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
Just read last night on detailer forum to never use any product on the windows that has ammonia. The ammonia will ruin your OEM tinted windows. Invisible glass is the recommended product. I just bought some today at Dollar General for $4.00
True for aftermarket tint not OEM. The OEM tint is between the glass layers where aftermarket is on the inside and will indeed be ruined. I suggest you read the article again. I speak as someone who earned their living detailing cars.

For the windshield I use a foaming glass cleaner (Sprayway, tint safe also) on the outside with microfiber towels, do it at least twice. Use a bug sponge if needed. On the inside I pour isopropyl alcohol on a MF towel until it is wet but not dripping. Wipe down the inside twice then buff it off with a clean MF towel thoroughly. Then wipe it down again with another clean one. Sparkle city.........until the next bug anyway.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
Yes, I work for a daily newspaper and we use water-based inks. But we give away tons of end rolls for free that have lots of blank newsprint on them.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True for aftermarket tint not OEM. The OEM tint is between the glass layers where aftermarket is on the inside and will indeed be ruined. I suggest you read the article again. I speak as someone who earned their living detailing cars.

For the windshield I use a foaming glass cleaner (Sprayway, tint safe also) on the outside with microfiber towels, do it at least twice. Use a bug sponge if needed. On the inside I pour isopropyl alcohol on a MF towel until it is wet but not dripping. Wipe down the inside twice then buff it off with a clean MF towel thoroughly. Then wipe it down again with another clean one. Sparkle city.........until the next bug anyway.
I will look for sprayway, I also think along with my other thoughts and reading from here, that the vinyl gas from dash is part too, cause there is this haze on the inside. It really took about 1 1/2 yrs for my windshield to get goofy. Up until last week, I was having no problems keeping it clean. I have no idea what has happen.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
I will look for sprayway, I also think along with my other thoughts and reading from here, that the vinyl gas from dash is part too, cause there is this haze on the inside. It really took about 1 1/2 yrs for my windshield to get goofy. Up until last week, I was having no problems keeping it clean. I have no idea what has happen.
Sprayway is likely at your grocery store. Sometimes SAM'S has a box of six for a real bargain. Nothing happened, the interior haze is normal. I had to admit it but both of ours' are horrible......it's just too damned hot outside to go mess with it :oops:

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have heard of people using Clay Bar to clean the windshield and then applying wax over it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Newspaper is full of ink. The ink takes weeks to truly dry. Now, unprinted newspaper is something else, and you are unlikely to find any.
Interesting. I know the technology has changed since I received this tip back in the 70s. But nevertheless, have noticed nothing amiss with cleaning glass even with modern newspapers. Works just fine on exterior auto glass and household windows. You guys can knock yourselves out with your high priced spread, clay bars and applicators! There is a point of diminishing returns for cleaning the glass, lol.

I don't use it on the inside of the RAV as it has after-market tint. And I do confess to messing around with Rain-X just for grins. Seems to repel water a little better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Believe me or not, but i use the Maguire quik detailer on the windshield and exterior windows and its spotless! And everytime i wax my rav i also put wax on the windshield and windows too! Its just my one my crazy ways of cleaning he he but works for me!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cleaning a windshield seems like a silly issue, a non-issue really, but it's true for these Ravs- I don't know whether Toyota "cheaped-out" in quality in the manufacturing process somehow, but you seem to know your business, and I'm going to try your method...

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I rethink this, I believe that the windshield washer fluid I buy might be part of my problem too? Doesn't that stuff leave a film on your windows? Also I think the car wash soap does not come off completely. I will have to try the invisible glass cleaner. I used it before a long time ago.

I also believe air pollution is part of problem. I park on a busy street so windows are always dirty.
Too much/high car wash soap to water mix can definitely leave a light film not only on windshield but also over the paint and make it less shine as well as harder to wax.

I had used an old bottle of windshield washer fluid once (one of those Green solution that suppose to get rid of bugs), it sure cause some haze to my windshield; Air pollution can sure be a contributor as well. Whenever you clean your windshield, don't forget to wipe down the wiper blades in single end-to-end strokes to minimize wiper chattering.

As with "Quickdtoo" I also use Invisible Glass to clean my windshield, side and rear windows.

Also, I learned that Armorall and other dashboard shine products can evaporate under hot sun and cause the inside widshield to haze.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Use 70% alcohol(rubbing alcohol at any store) and two micro fibre towels. Spay, wipe with one, finish with second. Simple and works perfectly. Might have to do two passes but you'll be very pleased. Never use window cleaners with ammonia.

Reactions: Butts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts