Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Rav in today for an oil change and to get the interior squeaks worked out. Instead of hanging out at the dealer for up to 5 hours (depending on how many attempts it took to eradicate the squeaks), and since the dealer only offers a shuttle service instead of giving loaners (except in the case of safety-related warranty repairs), I decided to pop for the $20 to rent a vehicle for the day. I asked for, and received a Scion xA! Woo hoo!

I of course then did what any self-respecting woman would do, I went shopping. I got...oh...you don't care about that part. Nevermind.

Okay, BEFORE I went shopping, I took the xA on an extended joyride on my favorite twisty country roads. I have to say the xA is a VERY fun ride. The one I had was white, and had the white racing wheels. For having such a wee tiny engine it had reasonable responsiveness and power. It was auto, so that really killed part of the fun factor, but I think a 5-speed xA would be big fun. Anyway, it had really nice handling, good road feel without feeling like an "economy car" type ride. I left my radar detector in the Rav so I didn't want to do more than 15 mph over, making 80 mph my limit, but it was steady as a rock at that speed (which is more than I can say for my old Suzuki Sidekick that BARELY got up to 80 mph, or for my mother-in-law's mid-1990s Corolla). Also, had I wanted to go faster it clearly would've been up to it.

One bad thing was that the tires actually rubbed on those big racing rims, even though they were a genuine Scion accessory. Maybe they put the wrong rubber on them, I don't know.

I also HATE the cluster being in the center of the dash. Very bad for those of us who tend to have a lead foot anyway. It's too easy to not pay attention to how fast you're going.

One really good thing...I put over 100 HARD miles on it (I very much lived the "drive it like you stole it" mantra :twisted: ) and filled it up with under 3 gallons of gas, LOL!

I had lots of fun, but I was really glad to get back my newly squeak-free Rav at the end of the afternoon! :D

Becky

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Slayer said:
Hmmm, nice idea. I wonder if my local dealer has an MR2 for rent? :wink: :wink:
I doubt it :cry: I've not visited any Toyota dealers lately, but I think you'd be hard pressed to even find an MR2. It's being discontinued this year (ie - no 2006 model). I haven't seen an MR2 come through the Portland Port in months :(

Too bad.... your suggestion would have made for a fun day :wink:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They gave me their price list, and the only thing my dealer offers that even begins to approach being a sports car type is the Solara Convertible. But it's $80 a day! OUCH! I'll stick with the $20 xA. They had a decent selection in between $20 and $80 though, and I probably would go back to my dealer if I'm ever in a situation where I actually needed to rent a car.

Becky

1 - 4 of 4 Posts