Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very disappointed when I thought I was going to get a low price on a leading Grounded Spark Plug Wire. For better use of words, I'll call the wires, the Naughty wire. But unfortunately, I did and it came out to be Blemish, like always, the price was too good to be true. So, I'm going to split open one of the four wires to see how this so called "Ground Spark Plug Wires" works. :wink BTW, how do I know that they don't work? I tried a Spark Plug Wire test. on YT.

They didn't even move the Multi-Meter needle. All of them, so all were trashed. This is what they look like inside. Hmmmm. I see something very interesting. :wink The interesting part is what is under the stainless steel wrap? I saw it and it's just a cover. It doesn't have any connection with the lower wire, but the lower wire is of high quality and very heat resistance. Hmmmm. What is left is the end with a stainless steel loop. Hmmmm. :wink

Attachments

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Good that you tested them before installing them on your RAV. What is the supposed advantage of the ground spark plug wire setup? It would seem that having a "ground" in such close proximity to a high tension spark plug wire wouldn't make sense since it potentially could short to ground the high tension wire or deplete the intensity of the electrical current to the spark plug.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Good that you tested them before installing them on your RAV. What is the supposed advantage of the ground spark plug wire setup? It would seem that having a "ground" in such close proximity to a high tension spark plug wire wouldn't make sense since it potentially could short to ground the high tension wire or deplete the intensity of the electrical current to the spark plug.
Exactly, stuff like this is pure snake oil, and a reliability killer if as you said, the insulation on the HT lead ages and starts arcing internally. putting plastic spacers between the leads and standoffs on the engine casing are the best thing for HT leads, not wrapping them in some shielding braid. its not like your transmitting 10gbps of data through them!.

·
Registered
599 Posts
yeh it seems like crap, I could argue that the HV insulation between the negative pole (outer braid) and positive pole (inner core) could make it a form of capacitor, but good luck getting a reading on it, maybe a few picofarads if your lucky?

Better off investing in a higher energy coil if anyone makes them for the RAV?

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeh it seems like crap, I could argue that the HV insulation between the negative pole (outer braid) and positive pole (inner core) could make it a form of capacitor, but good luck getting a reading on it, maybe a few picofarads if your lucky?

Better off investing in a higher energy coil if anyone makes them for the RAV?

I already got the MSD coil and the MSD 6A along with the Raisin Voltage stabilizer and new Gound kit "a La" Derek. I'll guess I'll stick with that for the moment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
OK: in aviation they call this braded covering "shielding" and it is grounded to both the magneto (providing spark energy) and the spark plug. If you DON'T have shielded wiring, radio noise can be ridiculous, to the point you can't use your radio. The "old" wires are not shielded, nor are the spark plugs.... If I am reading and seeing this right, it may be an attempt to limit radio noise with high voltage wires......:shrug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts