Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On myRav 4 2007 Limited, my battery was dead and I jumped it. I am usually careful, but this time the cables were put on the wrong poles. I blew all kinds of fuses. had my friend who has an automotive repair shop look at it.
He replaced all blown fuses. The car started fine after charging the battery. However there are several dash lights that remain on after starting the engine: VSC, SRS, 4WD. The car seems to ride Ok. The radio does not work. Brakes seem Ok. This is very embarrassing, but the only way to fix this is to "fess-up"
Appreciate and advice you have. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd think a Toyota dealership could go into the command module computer and simply do a factory reset? As far as the radio, maybe it got shorted out. If it was me I'd at least take to a dealership and see what they said.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
Paul, your shop failed to replace all the blown fuses. There are 3 fuse boxes to check, one under the dash behind the hood release lever, one under the hood near the battery, and another under the hood on the opposite side.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You are not the first to do this...seems like one of these post goes up every other day LOL...do some Googling and you will find many who have done it and what all the fuses are that you need to look for...good luck...

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had one to repair this week. They installed the wrong battery with the posts reversed and couldn't understand why it wouldn't crank. Fortunately there was a big 100amp fuse right at the battery cable that blew and protected everything else.

Some batteries come with a protective black plastic cap over the negative terminal. I had a customer replace their battery and they shoved the battery terminal right over this plastic cap, tightened the terminal and wondered why it wouldn't crank. :D They towed it to me and I had to control myself so I wouldn't laugh in front of them.

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Some batteries come with a protective black plastic cap over the negative terminal. I had a customer replace their battery and they shoved the battery terminal right over this plastic cap, tightened the terminal and wondered why it wouldn't crank.
:shrug: Are you hinting that you're supposed to remove that beautiful plastic cap? :doh: I thought it was there to protect the terminal from corrosion. :roll:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
My niece's boyfriend installed a battery into my sister's car...didn't tighten the cables on the battery post and could not figure out why it would not start LOL...

G

·
I'd like to point a lot of the blame on Toyota for this. This is the first car I ever owned that BOTH battery cables were black. In my opinion that's just plain dumb.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
I had one to repair this week. They installed the wrong battery with the posts reversed and couldn't understand why it wouldn't crank. Fortunately there was a big 100amp fuse right at the battery cable that blew and protected everything else.

Some batteries come with a protective black plastic cap over the negative terminal. I had a customer replace their battery and they shoved the battery terminal right over this plastic cap, tightened the terminal and wondered why it wouldn't crank. :D They towed it to me and I had to control myself so I wouldn't laugh in front of them.

Am surprised that you managed to control your inclination to laugh! Apparently they had failed the course Automobile Electrics 101!:wink

·
Registered
31 Posts
My son just did the same thing - reversed the cables on a jump start. I Replaced a fusible link (Royal PITA to do in a parking lot in North Jersey with 23" of snow) and now have to check for other fuses because heat and radio do not work. Everything else seems to work except engine runs really rough like one of the coils is bad. Which it could be. the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree..with the usual .VCS, 4WD...BUT ALSO the airbag light and passenger seat belt lights are activated. What's up with them?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My son tried to go to advance auto to get the codes, but he says it's running really rough and won't go more than 10 mph. Limp mode? Not being with the car, I forget if you can visually inspect the fuses for the coils (passenger side in engine compartment) any help?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
I'd like to point a lot of the blame on Toyota for this. This is the first car I ever owned that BOTH battery cables were black. In my opinion that's just plain dumb.
Mine has this large, RED plastic cover over the positive terminal--you have to hinge it up out of the way to attach the RED jumper cable. Not dumb at all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We basically had the same fix as most others on here. Replaced a bunch of fuses, along with one fusible link. He still had the VSC and 4wd lights on even after disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes or so. Being a 4 year old battery, I bought a new one and viola- no more lights. I made Him do the work along side me, so he realizes what a PITA the next time he blindly attaches jumper cables. Oh well, he's a religious/philosophy scholar- not a mechanic. Now on to the wife's diesel Excursion - starter just whines.

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Now on to the wife's diesel Excursion - starter just whines.
Same engine as my F-250s. You'll probably end up replacing the starter. One tip - go very easy tightening the battery cable. I usually have a very good feel but have broken the plastic on two. Had to replace one in a parking lot in the middle of Iowa - after using my DRZ-400 for a run to buy a new starter for $200! Was able to replace the solenoid on the old one. It's now a spare I carry with the truck.

Reactions: NJ2006RAV
1 - 14 of 14 Posts