Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in person the vehicle looks like a mini hummer. I hadn't noticed that it had three windshield wipers. it was a lot of fun to drive, mine was a 2 Wheel Drive automatic. it definitely does not have as much pep as the RAV4. the dealer was really marking them up to the max, the 2 he had on his lot were marked up $6-$8000 over sticker with special tires etc.
the salesman told me that he was only going to get about 16 this year.

R

·
0 Posts
I agree Omega Man. I too tested the FJ Cruiser and found it to be an interesting ride. Though, MSRP is what the fair dealers are charging and reports say there will be plenty on hand in the supply line. Here are the reasons why most of us can hold out until the price comes down or reasons to never buy it:

Hard to drive in traffic (serious blind spots)
Back seat space & lack of opening windows
No carpet / Spartan interior
No Navigation system or hood scoop for Wayne
Poor fuel economy
No sunroof
You can get a loaded 4Runner for the same or less $$$
Won’t fit in many garages with the roof rack
The price will come down

And the reasons to own one:
Unique and funky styling
Extreme off-road and bad weather capabilities
Seats are water & vomit repellant
You can hose off the rubber floor if your kids hurl their Happy Meal.
and...It’s a personal thing, no one else need understand.

B

·
0 Posts
I think there cool but what is with the scoops on the side mirrors?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Some other reasons to not buy one:

31 inch tire mounted directly on the rear gate, with no additional external bracing. The door hinges will fail very quickly if the truck is driven as intended. Certainly there will be lots of squeeks and groans after a few thousand miles.

The rear glass is shaped to clear the stock spare tire, but it won't clear an oversized one. So if you want to go to 33s you will have to leave the glass closed or throw the spare on the roof rack. Ooof!

Miserable exterior visibility from the driver's seat when on the trail. With a ragtop, this would be a winner off-road. It seems to be competing with the Wrangler - why does it have that cave of a hard top, with a 20 inch wide C pillar?

No rear ventilation - the glass is fixed in back. The rear passengers are going to be miserable, as well as have zero view outside..

Rear seat access requires that you open a front door, just like in a King Cab pickup. What a pain!

And I debate the "extreme off road capabilty" label. If it doesn't have a solid axle up front, it can't be extreme.

I love Toyotas trucks, but this one is a loser IMHO.

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
420 Posts
John E Davies said:
And I debate the "extreme off road capabilty" label. If it doesn't have a solid axle up front, it can't be extreme.
Please pardon me while I laugh myself silly. Let's look at this, shall we:
http://katalog.czech-aop.cz/katalog_t/firmy/tatra/

Suspension - independent TATRA
- springs front axles - leaf springs
- rear axles - combination of leaf springs/airbags
Tyres
- front: 16.00 R20 tubeless with beadlocks
- rear: 24.00 R21 tubeless with beadlocks
- semi-automatic CTIS
Weights
- curb: 20 500 kg
- fifth wheel load max.: 23,000 kg
- GCW: 120,000 kg
Performance
- max. speed: 85 km/h
- max. speed at GCW: 77 km/h
- max. grade at GCW: 32 %
- side slope: 35 %
- approach angle: 37°
- departure angle: 60°
- ground clearance: 400 mm
- fording: 1,250 mm
- fuel tanks: 2 x 600 l
- operating range: apr. 1,000 km
- winch pull - 2 winches: a 275 kN
- winch rope operating length: 70 m

Or, closer to home, have you ever heard of the Humvee?

S

·
0 Posts
zaitcev said:
John E Davies said:
Please pardon me while I laugh myself silly
Or, closer to home, have you ever heard of the Humvee?
Or even closer, the RAV4 CUV - it would bend/fall apart if you used it for real off-roading :roll:

The IRS on these military vehicles are vastly superior-height adjustable with airbags, super long travel, much stronger design, etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts