Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 XLE with Entune Audio Plus (No Nav, No Apps).

I am ready to abandon my stock Headunit and update to a 3rd-Party deck (Kenwood or Pioneer I guess). I am interested in CarPlay not mirroring. Obviously I have read/searched the posts on this forum but I was looking for something a little more recent.

Things that are important to me (that they work):
Back-up Camera
Steering Wheel Controls
Speakerphone Mic with a good sound during phone calls and Siri interaction.
CarPlay

Things I don't care about:
Sat Radio

Does anyone have experience/guidance in 2017 for this? What shall I buy? What doesn't work?

I have hopes that somewhere out there, there is a person with knowledge and experience...

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've just installed a pioneer avic-7200nex in my 2011 Rav and I'm loving it. I'm an Android guy, so I can't speak to the carplay integration, but everything, works great with Android.
The 2011 didn't have rearview in the headunit, so I did have to tap into the wiring to the mirror to do that part, but other than that the install was pretty simple. I used an Imaestro interface unit, which gave me full steering wheel controls and an interface with the OBII port so I now have all kinds of info on the stereo. I do have Sat radio, and it is great on this stereo. The mic is great and I can voice dial and voice text with Google now. I've got the option to use the Pioneer navigation, Google maps or Waze, which is fantastic.
Overall I've been very impressed. Only problem is now my wife wants one in her 2017 Rav.

Reactions: Pauken

·
Registered
197 Posts
Interested in this as well for my 2016 XLE Hybrid with nav/apps entune. I LOVE everything about the car but the lack of android auto ruins my experience. The factory nav I paid a ton for is terrible along with the Entune software itself just sucks. I have put Polk audio everywhere along with a JL audio 12in woofer in the trunk so sound is important to me and I want to complete it with an awesome head unit. I'm more afraid to lose all of the car data stuff like oil change lights and the hybrid system and such. Are you still able to access all the data the dealership needs for service?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not sure what info the dealer needs for service. They should be able to access everything through techstream. The headunit, when tied into the OBII port lets me see a number of engine parameters and even reads fault codes. I've got car specific settings for AC, lighting and door locking, as well as a display showing individual tire pressures and temps.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hate to sound cliché, but www.crutchfield.com is a great site for reviews and help. Their phone system is great too if you want to speak with someone regarding questions on a unit and it's capabilities or limitations. I'm a big fan of Alpine and Pioneer in the navigation area, if I had your car.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Not sure what info the dealer needs for service. They should be able to access everything through techstream. The headunit, when tied into the OBII port lets me see a number of engine parameters and even reads fault codes. I've got car specific settings for AC, lighting and door locking, as well as a display showing individual tire pressures and temps.
Glad to hear that it's working for tire pressure.

The baud rate for the Toyota TPMS is different than the ECU, so the typical BluTooth comm devices can't pull tire pressures. People have been searching for a working PIO for Torque, as well as ScanGauge for years.

Every time I head out on a road trip I get more and more frustrated with the entune interface... primarily due to it being completely locked down and unable to do anything unless you are completely stopped.
Also, the XM menu stinks... listing stations only by number in the presets. I've got 32 freaking presets and I have no idea which one is Boneyard, Liquid Metal, or FoxNews.

My wife is perfectly capable of safely entering a nav destination when I am driving, but Toyota forces the use of voice control... which is so ungodly horrible that it is completely useless, but worse, FORCES the driver to take their eyes off of the road to look at search results... 95% of the time which are not even close to what is desired.

I know Pioneer used to lock their systems down when the parking brake was not set... is that still the case? Kenwood did not have any lockouts except for the standard Garmin option to enable/disable the safety feature.

I'm always torn between Pioneer and Kenwood. I had a Pioneer in my '06 Silverado, and a Kenwood in my '08 Tacoma (after trashing a Caska unit).
I liked the Pioneer interface a bit more, but liked the familiarity of the Garmin nav in the Kenwood.
However, I constantly had problems with the Pioneer XM receiver locking up and going silent.... thankfully it was installed under the cup holders so I could pop them out and unplug the unit to cycle power... only other way was a COMPLETE shutdown and restart of the truck. It did this regularly.

OTOH, other than that, the Pioneer was much more stable. The Kenwood, both the DVD/Nav in the Tacoma, and straight stereo-only single DIN I had in other vehicles, would occasionally lock up. You would not know it was locked up until you tried to change the volume, or station, or access the nav system... all controls were inoperative including the touch screen... it would just happily continue playing the same station. Those lockups usually required using the front panel reset button. That didn't wipe the station presets, but it did wipe the fade/balance/tone/EQ settings.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Hate to sound cliché, but www.crutchfield.com is a great site for reviews and help. Their phone system is great too if you want to speak with someone regarding questions on a unit and it's capabilities or limitations. I'm a big fan of Alpine and Pioneer in the navigation area, if I had your car.
Crutchfield, and on the left coast, SonicElectronix is a similar company just north of LA, so shipping tends to be a couple of days quicker than Crutchfield. I always bounce them off of each other for pricing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Glad to hear that it's working for tire pressure.

The baud rate for the Toyota TPMS is different than the ECU, so the typical BluTooth comm devices can't pull tire pressures. People have been searching for a working PIO for Torque, as well as ScanGauge for years.

Every time I head out on a road trip I get more and more frustrated with the entune interface... primarily due to it being completely locked down and unable to do anything unless you are completely stopped.
Also, the XM menu stinks... listing stations only by number in the presets. I've got 32 freaking presets and I have no idea which one is Boneyard, Liquid Metal, or FoxNews.

My wife is perfectly capable of safely entering a nav destination when I am driving, but Toyota forces the use of voice control... which is so ungodly horrible that it is completely useless, but worse, FORCES the driver to take their eyes off of the road to look at search results... 95% of the time which are not even close to what is desired.

I know Pioneer used to lock their systems down when the parking brake was not set... is that still the case? Kenwood did not have any lockouts except for the standard Garmin option to enable/disable the safety feature.

I'm always torn between Pioneer and Kenwood. I had a Pioneer in my '06 Silverado, and a Kenwood in my '08 Tacoma (after trashing a Caska unit).
I liked the Pioneer interface a bit more, but liked the familiarity of the Garmin nav in the Kenwood.
However, I constantly had problems with the Pioneer XM receiver locking up and going silent.... thankfully it was installed under the cup holders so I could pop them out and unplug the unit to cycle power... only other way was a COMPLETE shutdown and restart of the truck. It did this regularly.
I was impressed when I set it up that it showed pressures and temps. I didn't know that the Toyota sensors even had the cabability.

I've had no problems with my XM receiver and the interface is far better than the stock headunit. It does show you station names, let's you rewind and pause as well.

The Pioneer does have a lockout installed, but it's very easy to turn off, lots of videos on YouTube on how to do it. Doesn't require any wiring or special device install.

Reactions: CB91710

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
One of the reviews I saw on the Maestro referred to it using the factory XM receiver. Does this still use the OEM XM unit, or did you need to install a new one?

Looks pretty clean... so just the HU, Maestro, and wiring kits... the 2nd Maestro steering wheel adapter is not needed with the MRR, right?

·
Registered
320 Posts
One of the reviews I saw on the Maestro referred to it using the factory XM receiver. Does this still use the OEM XM unit, or did you need to install a new one?

Looks pretty clean... so just the HU, Maestro, and wiring kits... the 2nd Maestro steering wheel adapter is not needed with the MRR, right?
My Rav4 didn't come with XM stock, I installed it later when I went to a hybrid stereo/Nexus7 tablet headunit. That unit was fun, but the Nexus wasn't made to handle S. Texas heat in the interior of a car sitting in the sun. So I swapped it out for the Pioneer.

I installed the Maestro and the HU, as well as a couple of USB plug-ins(2011 lacked these) to tie in the Android auto and for a flash drive of music. Other than that it was cake. Did the whole install in less than two hours, including the new camera wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Sounds awesome.

Bummer that the 8200 is no longer available. The 8201 is the same unit (literally, it says 8200 on the face) but includes a camera (which I already have).
Going to have to compare Crutchfield to Sonic and see who is cheaper for the entire kit.
Crutchfield is $100 more for the HU, but they have a package deal for accessories, so it may work out to be the same.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Just pulled the trigger.

I'm seeing conflicting information on the OEM XM unit. It sounds like it might be a separate unit from the HU so I may or may not need the XM receiver and related adapters.

Ended up combining Amazon and Crutchfield.
Sonicelectronix was about $200 cheaper than Crutchfield (over $1500 total) but they had an 8200 available, Crutchfield had only the 8201... but I got the total down to just under $1100 by ordering the HU, XM, Maestro, and Scosche mounting kit from Amazon, and the various harnesses and adapters from Crutchfield.
Crutchfield had the Maestro To2 adapter harness in stock, Amazon's vendor was out 30 days on the harness.

Curious, the HU seems to only have one video input, which would be used for the backup camera.
Is there a way to feed a 2nd video input to the unit, such as the display from my dashcam?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Curious, the HU seems to only have one video input, which would be used for the backup camera.
Is there a way to feed a 2nd video input to the unit, such as the display from my dashcam?
Here is a link to the install manual. If you look at pages 21-22 you can see that you can install a rear view camera and one other video input, either another camera or a seperate video source.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/AVIC-7200NEX_InstallationManu012116.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Awesome.

Also trying to verify the XM source issue... set up an account over on Maestro's forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im looking at swapping my stock head unit in my 2017 SE for a pioneer gps unit.

Does anyone know if i will lose the ability to make changes to vehicle setting found on the stock unit. i.e. Headlight / interior light timing adjustment, lock unlock features, auto headlight sensitivity etc. ??

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Im looking at swapping my stock head unit in my 2017 SE for a pioneer gps unit.

Does anyone know if i will lose the ability to make changes to vehicle setting found on the stock unit. i.e. Headlight / interior light timing adjustment, lock unlock features, auto headlight sensitivity etc. ??
The Maestro RR is fully compatible with the AVIC-8200, 7200, 6200, and 5200NEX HUs. The 8200 and 7200 are the full-panel, 6200 and 5200 have controls on the side and a 6.1" screen. The 8200 is the same glass as a smartphone and it very nice WRT touch sensitivity... no need to press on the screen, but glare can be an issue and I'll probably install a matte screen protector.

My Corolla retained everything (when using the Maestro RR interface). I don't have auto headlights, so I can't confirm the sensitivity, but light timing and lock/unlock are available. I did lose the individual maintenance item reminder screens (they were more of a pain anyways), but gained individual tire pressure/temperature from the TPMS computer, and gauges pulled from the CAN bus including coolant temp, distance remaining on fuel, tank level %, etc...

The To2 harness is what is needed for 2013 and newer. You'll also want the STo2 antenna adapter kit if you currently have the Entune with Nav and XM.
The Maestro does NOT retain the factory XM receiver... so you'll need to buy the aftermarket unit (IMHO, works better anyways), but the antenna adapter allows you to use the OEM sharkfin. There is also an FM antenna adapter that is needed. iDatalink doesn't make one, but you can get the Metra 40-LX11 on Amazon for around $12.

There is also a UTo2 USB adapter that allows you to retain the dash-mounted USB/Aux port. I connected mine to USB2 which is used for Android Auto. I ran a second USB cable from USB1 into the glovebox where I'll connect my iPad Nano after I get it resync'd (I haven't used it since I trashed the Caska unit from my Tacoma in 2012)

I got the AVIC-8200NEX, SXM, and Maestro on Amazon... my total was about $1100 give or take including the adapter harnesses and dash kit. Crutchfield and Sonic were several hundred more.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Glad that it turned out so well for you Rich. I'm still thoroughly enjoying my 7200. The Maestro interface is great, and gives you a lot of functinality that your steering wheel controls didn't have before.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I like it.
It's not perfect... like Entune, even with the bypass enabled in the HU, Android Auto has some safety interlocks that are a bit of a pain.
Looking for some workarounds for the deal-killers, but overall I'm happy with the swap.

I have been having problems assigning the TPMS sensors to the proper corners. I've tried twice and it's mis-assigned one or two. It's a pain because it dumps 5psi to confirm, and on one particular unit that I've had problems with, it's ended up down at 20.
What I suspect is happening, one of my units intermittently reports pressure 20psi low, just for a second, then back.
I have a feeling that when I'm deflating one of the tires, the sensor glitches and the unit reads that as a confirmation.

Fortunately, I have a Chevron station that still offers free air. Unfortunately, everyone else knows about it, so I feel like a stooge hogging the station pushing all 4 tires back up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sounds awesome.

Bummer that the 8200 is no longer available. The 8201 is the same unit (literally, it says 8200 on the face) but includes a camera (which I already have).
Going to have to compare Crutchfield to Sonic and see who is cheaper for the entire kit.
Crutchfield is $100 more for the HU, but they have a package deal for accessories, so it may work out to be the same.
Search Pioneer 8200nex problems on YouTube before buying this HU.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts