Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is quite a coincidence regarding the reason why I had to uninstall it. But never the less, I'll reinstall it ASAP, or lets say when I install the Magnaflow muffler. In this illustration, we see that this ASB, has a curve. Hard, rigid and tuff as nails. The idea of the sway bar is to stop your ride from to much lateral movment or less Roll Angle. But clearance is a problem. I would have to get a bar like the one I have, but with this curve on it.

The reason why I uninstalled my RASB was because it cracked the Bracket in two. Look at the lower photo "Bracket". That is why we need such a hard, thick bar. I guess the one inch bar is a must. I know some guys have criticized me [well, lets say they did not concurred] because "A 1 inch bar is too much :roll: " Remember the center of gravity of a RAV4 is higher then a car. When it tends to have too much Roll Angle, it needs a bar to stop it. BTW, I have a 4 door. :wink:

http://www.vbandp.com/instructions/htmlinstruct/42018.htm[/img]

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rear sway bar. :x Just remember now that it is not on your RAV to take corners easy... sometimes you forget that it is not there. :shock:

The reason that I am considering installing one at this point is because the performance of my RAV exceeds its cornering capabilities. I would probably like to get a TRD front sway bar as well.... when it ever comes available. :? Also, polyurethane bushings all around from Energy Suspensions. And lastly lowering with the TRD springs that is sitting in storage. Just got to save up enough for a whole set (4) of Bilstein sport shocks. :wink:

Mensagero, I know you're busy with school right now, but if you have time to take a quick pict. of the broken bracket; it would help me troubleshoot a better solution of mounting the rear sway bar. Do you know who sells a 1" rear anti-sway bar? I thought only Addco sells the 4.1 rear sway bar and it only comes in 3/4 inch? :?:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of taking a picture of the rear bushing bracket so you guys can see what happen. So then you guys can take the precautions when you install yours. I already ask Addco for a rear installation kit pending on the one inch bar if it is available. I'll post it this afternoon. It is 6:51 AM EST. :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Mensagero, the bracket is the weak link in your sway bar system. :( The only possible solutions is either getting a bracket made out of a thicker gauge or to mount the bushing directly to the frame.

During hard cornering, there is a lot of pressure being applied to that exact spot and the bracket probably suffered too much repeated stress to the point of failure. :(

Have you considered mounting the bushing directly to the frame and lengthening the end links to your lower mounting point? I have a better idea that might work, but do not have the anti-sway bar in hand to take measurements and such. I'll hopefully order one soon, but am contemplating waiting to see if Addco will build a bigger rear anti-sway bar. :roll: :D

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Their IS a lot of pressure in that area. I've always thought of installing the bushing directly to the chassis. But a longer end link is needed. I'm measuring the one that I have and see. The picture with the long end links, I saw that in Addco. I guess that I have the longest one.

Regarding the Miata aluminum Bracket, that is also an alternative. But if the installment of the bushing directly to the chassis, I think it is a better alternative. But you nervier know. That is a great finding, and should be considered.

Old things never die. I imagine that Racing Beat has something to do with that part. When I had may Mazda Rotary RX3, they sold a similar part for the front Anti-Sway bar. This made the front suspension more responsive. :wink:

I already place that on in Favorites

·
Registered
650 Posts
Mensajero,

How strong is the that part of the RAV's body or frame?

Are there preexisting holes there or did you have to drill them?

I'd rather have a bracket rip than the car's body or frame.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it is strong, but I feel like welding another piece of metal over it to reinforce this area. Like a double layer of metal. This will straighten this area. The sheet metal isn't too thick. But then I'll have to use longer "U" brackets. Installing the bushing directly to the frame will work a lot better. Know, thier is a problem with that. you'll need longer End Rod Link studs.

R

·
0 Posts
hte weak pint is what i"m having problems with. i was going to mount my bar closer to the frame, and get longer end links. energy suspensions also make them. i also have six more flat bars from addco and was going to use them to keep the bar off the frame somewhat. i like the miata mountng system.

·
Registered
650 Posts
mensajero said:
As you can see it was ripped in two. The bushing came out in one piece. The bracket was the only thing it broke. BTW, I'll go to my local Car Wash This weekend.

Mensa,

How did the thin subframe hold up? from the pic it seems ok.
I know it's thin. You're idea of reinforcing it is good. What do you think of using JB Weld to add a steel plate?

If anyone wants go with the bracket option, here's a stronger one (made for a Subaru):

Link:http://www.spmotorsports.com/ATCmisc_susp_pkgs_hotk_wrx.html

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sig228 said:
mensajero said:
As you can see it was ripped in two. The bushing came out in one piece. The bracket was the only thing it broke. BTW, I'll go to my local Car Wash This weekend.

Mensa,

How did the thin subframe hold up? from the pic it seems ok.
I know it's thin. You're idea of reinforcing it is good. What do you think of using JB Weld to add a steel plate?

If anyone wants go with the bracket option, here's a stronger one (made for a Subaru):

Link:http://www.spmotorsports.com/ATCmisc_susp_pkgs_hotk_wrx.html
Sig228, re-enforcing is a good idea because as we all know, this area has a thin layer of metal. The Epoxy will work also, but there is nothing like Electrical Welding.

About these Subaru Mounts, they look good. But I check the web site and they didn't mention of what material they are made of! I guess they ARE metal. Pricey also. 69.00 :?

One other detail, If you use the subaru mounts, I'll use harder bolts and nuts in a heart beat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts