Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove it yesterday and everything was fine. Went to leave in it this morning and it was totally dead. Nothing would work, no power locks, no interior lights. Nothing would come on. I had to leave so no time to check battery voltage. Is it unusual for the12 volt battery to completely die overnight?
Thanks

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,132 Posts
Unusual, yes. (Not subject to DCM fix because it is a '19, thanks for posting that detail.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to leave so I put a battery tender on it. It had only been about 16 hours until it was totally dead. I should be back home later this afternoon. I will check the battery for voltage then and report back. Not going to call the Toyota dealer until I rule out the battery.
Mike, are you saying the DCM is not the problem?
Thanks for the replies?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
NOT UNUSUAL. Hybrids of all brands have this irritating quirk. Check out the Maverick Truck Club (the new little truck from Ford). It has only been out for a year, and the site is full of reports like this. Or, they get up in the morning and their phone app say DEEP SLEEP MODE. Call the flat bed wrecker and cart it off to the dealer.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,132 Posts
Just throw a jump pack on the 12V battery and it should get going again. There was a firmware update to address this issue IIRC.
Ah, but this is a '19 Rav4h and so not using the affected DCM module so the DCM fix is not suspected as the solution. I suspect lights left on and some option selection allowed them to stay on. Charge or jump, then get the battery load tested (free at many auto stores).

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Ah, but this is a '19 Rav4h and so not using the affected DCM module so the DCM fix is not suspected as the solution. I suspect lights left on and some option selection allowed them to stay on. Charge or jump, then get the battery load tested (free at many auto stores).
In addition to this, if the OP has any aftermarket alarms etc, this a place to look. If nothing was left on and/or no aftermarket electronics, perhaps a bad battery. Hopefully the factory warranty will help if so. Better now than in a few months? Hopefully not just prorated.

Also to the OP, if you have a Japan built Rav H, the battery can be filled with distilled water. Good idea to check while you are load testing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the voltage under the hood at the jump start terminals and it is zero. It has the electric hatch release and I was told by Toyota that it can’t be opened without power (find that hard to believe). I’m assuming it’s not the battery. Without the key in my hand if I open the rear passenger door a picture of a vehicle and the words ”No remote detected or not in range” can’t remember exactly. Anyway a wrecker is on the way and the service advisor said it should be under warranty. I have my doubts if it’s a battery issue.
Variance, No aftermarket anything has been added.

I don’t think anything was left on. It was in the garage and I was in there multiple times and never noticed anything on.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The wrecker came to pick it up today. The vehicle is in a garage so he tried to boost but no luck. He was able to get dash lights on but starter would not engage. He then got it out of park but could not get the electric parking brake to release. He’s coming back tomorrow with dollies to put under the front wheels and lift the back end to get it out of the garage. It may be Wednesday or Thursday before diagnosis.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Dumb questions but did you try and start the car with the key fob held just as close as possible to the start button? After 3 years have you replaced the battery in the key fob? Tried with the other fob, the one less used? Left a key fob in the car?

Good luck ....

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
824 Posts
starter would not engage.
Do you mean the ready light wouldn't come on? There is no starter per se but if the system is working the ready light should come on and then one of the motor/generators would start the ICE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good idea, but I did not think of it. I had put it in the cupholder so I wouldn’t forget to give it to the driver. It was the original battery. He’s coming back tomorrow and I’ll ask him to try it.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It had a message on the screen that said something like
Service Hybrid System Soon. Things would come up then go away. The wipers were on but they were not when we cut it off Saturday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you mean the ready light wouldn't come on? There is no starter per se but if the system is working the ready light should come on and then one of the motor/generators would start the ICE.
I knew it didn’t have a starter, I just wasn’t thinking. It did nothing when I pushed the start button. Several things came up on the display but all would go out before I could read them. The only thing for sure I saw was something about servicing the hybrid system. I think the computer is shutting it down to protect something.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I drove it yesterday and everything was fine. Went to leave in it this morning and it was totally dead. Nothing would work, no power locks, no interior lights. Nothing would come on. I had to leave so no time to check battery voltage. Is it unusual for the12 volt battery to completely die overnight?
Thanks
This might be a duplicitous post but I'm not gonna plow through all the comments. Find yourself a cheap little 12 volt jumper pack, some are about the size of a cigarette carton these days. My 2020 RAV4 hybrid drained its battery mysteriously one night (18 hours from prior shutdown)) and that pretty much destroyed my trust in the vehicle. Anytime I took it anywhere overnight away from home I took a 12 V jumper back I bought specifically because of that instance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Some things I learned with my 2020 RAV4 limited, when the 12 volt battery drained in the garage, after sitting three days: It was the DCM issue btw. But at that point, nobody knew about the DCM issues. So: First off, your key fob, and other things will not work. All the 12 volt battery does is power the essential systems, door locks, windows, lights, and other basics, as well as initiate the hybrid system. If your 12 battery is flat, your hybrid system will not initiate, hence the messages, including the one about the key fob. It could be that in three years, your battery is just shot. If it has an open cell, or one of the bus bars had come undone, it won’t take a charge. Pretty easy to tell.

On your jump start point in the fuse box under the hood!! Watch out!! That knife connector blade they tell you to hook the jumper cable up to: It only conducts on one side!! Not both. So if your jumper cables are only hot on one side of the clamp, as many are, and you hook it up the wrong way around, guess what? No power to the vehicle battery. Also, if you are checking battery voltage with a meter and you are on the wrong side, again, no power reading. One side of that knife is shiny, that’s the hot side. The other side is dull and not conductive. Why would they do that? Who knows. When mine went flat, I did the same thing with my meter and got zero. That didn’t make sense to me, as I thought the battery might have a tiny bit of voltage in it, unless it had failed. Then I noticed the shiny side to that knife blade connector.

I hope. This information helps.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts