Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a choice, and this will be for R4P 240v 16amp charging. We are putting in the 50amp circuit to accomdate other EVs down the road but for now all we can use is the 16amp 240v charging for our XSE.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
49 Posts
I would just go ahead and put in the NEMA 14-50R. In the grand scheme of things it won't cost you any more than the 6-50 and you are essentially future-proofed for the foreseeable future. You night as well save yourself a little trouble down the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My personal preference is hard wirea 48 or 50 amp station. This future proofs you if you get a full electric vehicle that will need quicker charging. The plug-in stations are limited to 38 or 40 amps (I think)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also would go with a 14-50. It would be possible to use an adapter to connect a 6-50 plug to a 14-50 receptacle but not vice versa. The 14-50 has a ground and neutral (requires 4 wires) while the 6-50 only has a ground (requires 3 wires) so in general the 14-50 is more versitile if a 4-wire system is ever needed or codes change, etc. While a 6-50 can be used with 3 wires the cost and space of the additional wire for the 14-50 is negligible in the bigger scheme of things IMHO.

Whether the unit is plugged in or hard-wired doesn't change the 80% limitation of the circuit. A 50A circuit can only be used to supply 40A for continuous loads and it doesn't matter whether the unit is hard-wired or plugged in. The NEC uses 125% instead of 80% but the result is the same. Sizing Conductors, Part III

1 - 4 of 4 Posts