Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 99 out for some mudding hit a tree at 5mph. Bent the bumper support bar enough to pin the metal radiator hose to the radiator, but didn't bust it.
Now my alignment is off a bit, pulls to the left. Drivers side not level rides a bit higher.
Can I get it bent back into shape. Or, is that bumper bar replaceable?
IMG_20200515_152335381.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sucks cause I just installed new shocks and control arms.
I'll take it to the garage, just wondering if that bar in the pic I bent is replaceable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For sure, it’s pretty easy to take off (4 bolts total if I remember correctly). Just take off the bumper and it’s right there - try to find a replacement in a junkyard

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Local salvage yard has 6 gen 1 ravs I can pick from. Gonna grab a newish bumper, bar, and drivers side light assembly. It broke where the mounts are.
Then alignment if needed.
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I may be mistaken but I believe you disconnect the battery terminals, then maybe touch them together when disconnected or turn the key to get rid of any residual electricity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
5 mph.
Are you kidding me? I slammed into the back of someone going 45mph and shot the airbags at me. It was totaled beyond belief. Guess what, I rebuilt the son of a bitch in a month and a half.

This issue you are having is so small, these cars are bulletproof if you haven't noticed. Fix whatever needs to be done, because your wallet will thank you later on and always be happy you don't own some piece of garbage chrysler throws at us. KEEP YOUR 4.1 ON THE ROAD!!! THEY ARE AMAZING VEHICLES!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
How does one fix a bumper without activating the airbags?
The airbag sensors on this car are nowhere near the bumper, they are positioned on the front frame. One is under the intake box, and the other is just under the power steering reservoir. You can play with the bumper all you want and the airbags will not deploy. Trust me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jack. I'm gonna leave it for now, it rides fine. These old RAVs are amazing. I just buffed it out a few days ago with meguiars ultimate compound, ultimate polish, and ultimate wax. It needs a wash. Pollen etc.

My neighbor has a new RAV4 and he can't believe it. Said it looks new.
IMG_20200525_142209275.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts