Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had never really considered buying a RAV4 but I am in the market for a new (to me) vehicle, and I just test drove one yesterday and fell in love with it. It was an '08 V6 4WD model someone had just traded in. Only issue with it was it REEKED of cigarettes, so I passed on it. Anyway, I made up my mind that it's the car for me so I started hunting today. One of the vehicles I drove today had a clunking sound in the steering wheel - the dealer tried to pass it off as normal - yeah right :laugh .

Anyway, after shopping I searched for steering problems in the RAV4 which lead me to this forum where I read all about the intermediate column issue. I also discovered the I4 engine had oil-burning issues up until 07 or so.

Anyway, my question is this; My price range is going to put me in an 08-10, with around 70-100K miles. Are there any other major issues from those vintage years I should know about? Any particular questions about repairs/history that I should be asking the dealers about these cars as I shop for them?

Thanks! Really excited to get one of these babies!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,330 Posts
So, I had never really considered buying a RAV4 but I am in the market for a new (to me) vehicle, and I just test drove one yesterday and fell in love with it. It was an '08 V6 4WD model someone had just traded in. Only issue with it was it REEKED of cigarettes, so I passed on it. Anyway, I made up my mind that it's the car for me so I started hunting today. One of the vehicles I drove today had a clunking sound in the steering wheel - the dealer tried to pass it off as normal - yeah right :laugh .

Anyway, after shopping I searched for steering problems in the RAV4 which lead me to this forum where I read all about the intermediate column issue. I also discovered the I4 engine had oil-burning issues up until 07 or so.

Anyway, my question is this; My price range is going to put me in an 08-10, with around 70-100K miles. Are there any other major issues from those vintage years I should know about? Any particular questions about repairs/history that I should be asking the dealers about these cars as I shop for them?

Thanks! Really excited to get one of these babies!
I always laugh when I see those people holding their cigarette out the window while they drive. Like that's going to prevent the interior from smelling like an ashtray!

You want to stay away from the I4 from 2006-2008. On the V6 models, make sure the VVT-i oil hose/tube was taken care of. Either replaced with the upgraded rubber hose, or preferably the all metal pipe. Check the build date on the upper right hand corner of the plate inside the driver's door frame. If it's 04/08 or later, it should have the metal oil pipe. Listen for the transmission whine on the V6 starting around 40mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, a friend of mine who used to be a GM at a dealership told me there is some new machine that works wonders on smoke smells (not an ozone bomb). But he couldn't remember what it's called. I'm doubtful though...

JuneBug, exactly the advice I was looking for!!! The internet is a beautiful thing!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I always thought it was impossible to get rid of tobacco smell but I guess it is not. Smoked in my Rav4 from 2005 - 2013 when I quit. Was always so embarrassed at the smell but low and behold there is now zero smell of smoke in the vehicle. Can be parked for a few days and wife's keen sense of smell cannot detect any cigarette odor. I have always left the windows an inch or so open when parked so maybe that helped.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Get a Car Fax report and check the VIN on the Toyota web site to be sure all the recalls have been done. Standard procedure for any used car is have a trusted mechanic check it out before you buy and ask for records to prove that required maintenance has been performed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looked at a 2007 at the (Ford) dealer at lunch today. Looked under the hood, rubber oil hose staring me in the face. Asked salesguy if all recalls had been taken car of - "Oh yes, of course, we don't sell anything that hasn't been brought completely up to date - even non-Fords." Drove it anyway, distinct loud transmission whine heard right at 40 -50 mph. Pointed it to the sales guy - he couldn't hear it :wall I told him there might be a Toyota TSB on the issue, he said "What's a TSB". Thanked him for the test drive, told him I had to go back to work, but that I would probably be back at 5 pm to purchase >:D

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
My experiences with Ford dealers and service departments have not been confidence-inspiring, with two notable exceptions being small town service departments in Nebraska (Seward and Schuyler) which were first rate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
:thumbs_up:
Glad you're here and considering a RAV. I never really paid much attention to them until a couple of years ago and I got mine earlier this month. I bought a 2006 and was able to get it in the color I wanted. You're doing the right thing, do your due diligence and then go on the hunt and be patient. As an owner for less than a month I don't have any kind of track record to point to but reading the older posts here will go a long ways. The folks here are plenty friendly and willing to give good advice.

Lou

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We got our 09 v6 Limited with 55k miles for $16k last year from a Ford dealer. It had already had the transmission tsb done. Had thorough maintenance records that were also on carfax. They actually made us wait on delivery while they replaced the brakes, battery, air filter, and oil. Oh an miracle of miracles they actually reached out to the prior owner and managed to get the second key fob for us. Was very impressed with them and it's in great shape. Only thing it needed was tires. Ganley Ford up in Cleveland.

Have actually seen it appreciate in value according to KBB since we bought it. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.