Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm just home from the dealership with my Mom's new RAV! It's a long story....

On March 30th my Mom was rearended, flew across a residential street, over the curb, across a lawn, and through two sets of bushes before slamming into the side of a house just two blocks from home. Needless to say, her car was totalled. I wasn't even in the car, and I had nightmares about it for weeks. She was, and is, hurt pretty bad. She was never in the hospital, but she's in a ton of pain and going through therapy.

So, when the settlement came in on her totalled car, we started looking at cars. She had a little Mazda Protege, but she really needed something bigger. Being a fan of the old CR-V (sorry, I just wasn't attracted to the older RAVs, no offense meant), I took her down to the Honda dealer. Boy was I disappointed! The thing is so small. It felt like driving a little tiny compact car. The drive was nice, but it just wasn't right. BUT... the salesman at Honda actually told us to check out the new RAV. So reluctantly (sorry) I took her right across the way to the Toyota dealer to test drive a RAV. She fell in love.... And so did I! I could not believe I was so in love with this car I had no interest in previously! Boy have I missed out!!!

The problem is, my mom hasn't had anything but temporary jobs in about 20 years and she's given up so much for me. So she loved the car, but she was sad because she thought she couldn't afford a car like this. But I could! So I plotted to buy her this car for Mother's Day! This is the least I could do considering I am in the position I'm in (able to do this) because of all she's given up for me and of how she has raised me. And so the RAV buying story begins....

On Monday morning I was pre-approved for a loan through my credit union, and I went to their car buying service and told them what to get for me. :)

On the same Monday afternoon I found this place and saw the stories about how hard they were to get.

First thing Tuesday morning I confirmed my wish list and had her try to order me one. She told me she'd call me back within three days to confirm if the order was accepted by a dealer, and she expected it might take 3 weeks to get the car.

Wednesday and Thursday I waited.... Growing more convinced I wouldn't get one or get the one I wanted....

This (Friday) morning she calls me back:
"So I put your order out there, and I was told that there is no way I'd get you car in less than 2 months, most likely closer to 3 months." My heart sank.
"But...." There's a but! Woo hoo!
"This morning I was going to call you and tell you this, when I got a call from a dealer. He has your car now." Woo hoo!!!
"You mean, like I can go pick it up today? Like drive it home, like it's here NOW?!!"

And that's how it went. I guess another dealer had a customer who wanted a RAV this dealer had. And the guy who sold me this one remembered I wanted this one. So he said, send me yours I'll send you mine. And it was the exact car I wanted!!!

So sitting in my driveway is a silver, 4cylinder (but dang it still has a ton of power), 4x2 (hey, Mom's 64 - no offroading for her!), with leather. And when I brought it home my mom was so happy. She says she feels like royalty and wants to buy a lottery ticket because she feels so lucky. I've made her really happy and that's made me really happy.

So it's a happy ending for all! Hope I haven't bored you with my long story. I'm just so excited that everything worked out so well.

And I tell you what, I'll never buy another car without using my credit union's car buying service. I saved a ton and didn't have to do hardly any work! :)

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great story and good for you! I like how it all came together - bad carma turned into good karma! :wink:

One problem - you're making the rest of us slouches who only managed a card look bad. I need to call the florist...

:D :D

Cheers!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great great story! Good 4 u. Hope your mom gets better.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
flyingn said:
great story! Your a fine son (or daughter) of your Mon. Im so glad she is happy.. Enjoy it. Take some pics of her and the RAV and post em! I'd love to see
I'm a daughter.... :)

I'd take pics, but I'm horrible with my digital camera! I'll see what I can do. And I'll try to take it from it's "good" side. The one that doesn't show the scratch that the neigbors dog put in it. :evil:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raffor said:
That is a great story. I wish my mom would get a new car too only she wants a beamer. :lol:
My boyfriend has a joke about porcupines and beemers....

What's the difference between a porcupine and a beemer?

Hehe. I'll let you all figure that out. Hope it doesn't offend anyone. I actually like BMWs, though I won't own one myself.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YummyPork said:
Great story and good for you! I like how it all came together - bad carma turned into good karma! :wink:
I've decided to call her (the car) Carma. Karma, car for Ma.... It totally works! I might even get that license plate if it's available. Thanks for the inspiration! :D

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
RAVERIN said:
YummyPork said:
I've decided to call her (the car) Carma. Karma, car for Ma.... It totally works! I might even get that license plate if it's available. Thanks for the inspiration! :D
I like it! :lol:

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RAVERIN said:
YummyPork said:
Heh.. I didn't make that connection when I wrote it. Glad you did and liked it. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts