Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 16" winter steelies off and 18" stock wheels back on. Feels like a sports car. lol. Pretty sad but, it is a hell of a difference. Much quieter, smoother and all the mush in cornering is gone.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Tell me all about it.

Back pain after three tire swaps and spraying of the underside for two vehicles. Mainly because I stack the tires up and I'm not a body builder.

Looking forward to better MPG.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
When I was still living at home driving my 70 Cuda 440 Six-Pack 4-Spd my Dad owned a 1978 Ford Bronco XLT. It was the first new truck he ever purchased. The day he picked it up he went to BF Goodrich (back when they had their own stores) and had 10X32 tires mounted on American Racing Chrome Wheels.

Every winter he would coat each wheel with Vaseline Jelly. Then, in the spring he would spend an entire day removing it with rags and elbow grease. Those rims looked new after 10 Upstate, NY winters. I tried may times to get him to put snows on the stock painted wheels it came with (could do a tire/wheel delete option so it came with tiny summer tires on beige painted steel rims.)

Yup, that was Dad. :wink

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know why, but I never got a TPM light over the winter. How does this system work? I parked in the garage next to the set with them in, and only drove 8 miles to work. Does the system take longer than that to turn the light on? My wife's Corolla turned on and stayed on all winter. She drives 20 miles each way. I am glad to be back on my all season set.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I don't know why, but I never got a TPM light over the winter. How does this system work? I parked in the garage next to the set with them in, and only drove 8 miles to work. Does the system take longer than that to turn the light on? My wife's Corolla turned on and stayed on all winter. She drives 20 miles each way. I am glad to be back on my all season set.
Mine is a 2012, 3rd gen RAV, but I can't imagine the systems are any different.

I had that EXACT situation until my cloneable TPMS sensors got in for my second set of rims.

It takes about 25 minutes before the TPMS system realizes it's not going to get a signal and then turns on the dash light. That was true every single day for the week or so that I was in that situation, like clockwork.

I just had my summer tires and rims put back on a few days ago and completely agree with the OP: the ride is much quieter and smoother.

I got my sports car back! :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had my snows removed today as well - Nokia R2's on 17" steelies back to the Goodyear Eagle's on 18" OEM. Actually chirped the tires a bit leaving the tire shop! Quite a difference in feel and road noise. Also had an interesting conversation with the tire guy (Kal Tire).... the Goodyear's have seen their last summer and I was asking about Michelin Latitudes as replacements... he stated they've been seeing problems with side wall cracking due to softer compounds to give better ride. He recommended NITTO NT421Q's - better performance, less noise and longer life for about the same price.
I'll have to do a bit of research on them.

Cheers!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I know this feeling! Have loud Nokian Hakka's on 16" rims, about to switch back to my 18" wheels soon. Can't wait!
Mine is a 2012, 3rd gen RAV, but I can't imagine the systems are any different.

I had that EXACT situation until my cloneable TPMS sensors got in for my second set of rims.

It takes about 25 minutes before the TPMS system realizes it's not going to get a signal and then turns on the dash light. That was true every single day for the week or so that I was in that situation, like clockwork.

I just had my summer tires and rims put back on a few days ago and completely agree with the OP: the ride is much quieter and smoother.

I got my sports car back! :thumbs_up:

Plus, if you turn the vehicle off, it resets that TPMS timer, which is why many folks with 20 mile commutes might never see this warning light come on. Pretty good system IMHO, wish my other vehicles did this.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Just got my 16" winter steelies off and 18" stock wheels back on. Feels like a sports car. lol. Pretty sad but, it is a hell of a difference. Much quieter, smoother and all the mush in cornering is gone.
I'm actually going to miss my 16" Nokian 7 snows. The ride is noticably softer than my 17" with Continental Ecoplus. Noise not really a factor as most driving is local commute, but even on freeway not too bad. And for performance, was pleasantly surprised at lack of mushiness. The road to the ski hill has 172 turns (yeah, somebody counted them) drive it lots and so plenty of opportunities to test. They seem to corners at least as well as the Contis, but will refresh my memory next week when I switch out.

P.S. this is on my gen 4.3, which may have an overall harsher ride than gen 4.4 on this thread, so extracting a softer ride is a plus...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had 18" Blizzaks on, so I really don't notice much difference other that road noise. I do like having the all seasons back for another reason though. I don't mind cornering faster now since I'm not trying to keep wear down to a minimum. :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just switched out to new Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus. Love them so far, a lot less noise than the stock Toyo A20 (and the winters of course).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts