Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen links to the Colorado Rally 2" kit, but I haven't seen any actual reviews of after installs. I took this video of the type of driving I need it to be able to handle, about two weekends per month. I love the mileage and I have a 25 mile commute each way. I've had 3 Tundra's, and 2 4Runners. They'd be better suited for this kind of driving, but they about half as fuel efficient as the RAV4 on the highway. So can anyone refer me to someone who makes a 2" lift for the 4.4?

I tried to post the link to the YouTube video, but it wouldn't let me.

Sent from my ASUS_A002A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Obiously we can't tell from your post exactly what kind of driving you're considering. If you're thinking of taking your RAV4 actually off road (not "dirt road" or maybe "forest road"), please see both this:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/267729-advice-accessories-off-road-camping.html#post2450377

and this:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/85896-off-road-opinions-6.html#post2488753

Even with a lift (depending on surface conditions) the only way you MIGHT avoid expensive repairs if going (actually) off road is to put metal skid plates under the engine bay, gas tank, exhaust system and evap canister, for starters. Given the RAV doesn't actually have a frame (it's a *CAR*, just like a Camry), that would likely be challenging.

If you do get a lift, you're raising the center of gravity of the entire vehicle significantly. As such, you may want to consider adding wheel spacers to push the wheels out a bit for a wider, more stable stance.

I believe that by the time you get the under armor needed, lift, bigger tires etc. that what most people would consider a fuel efficient off road capable vehicle is pretty much a unicorn (doesn't exist). Subaru may come the closest, at least from the factory. I've seen some Outbacks do some surprising things on trails, but I don't know what modifications may have been done to them and how fuel efficient they remained after the modifications.

Best of luck.

Reactions: ShotgunScott
1 - 2 of 2 Posts