Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved out into the country. The stock headlights / highbeams are useless on my 2006 for the country.

Could i just need to replace my current lamps? do they get duller over time? They are the factory 2006 lamps.

Is there a HID kit i can use with my stock housings that isnt going to be illegal? I only want it for high beams...so it is at least controlled by the driver.

Should I do the fog lamp install on this thread...
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/65541-how-add-foglights-using-oem-wiring-rav4-3-a.html
Will this allow me to have serious bright HID bulbs in the correct HID housing???

What are my options?

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I am going to try GE nighthawk replacement bulbs for the DRL and the high beams.

Can anyone tell me what size of bulbs I need? I get conflicting info off the net between 9005/9006

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
9006 is low beam...9005 is high beam...
this is whet my low and high beams look like...retrofitted 2.5 inch projectors and am using a 50 hid kit from morimoto...not cheap or easy, but well worth it...adding fog lights will do nothing for distance light...once you replace the stock bulbs make sure they are aimed correctly...if you still need more light some auxiliary should be a cost effective solution...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I had HID in my 2007, and the beam was not that good, I would not waste my time with HID in a pre 2010 : I ended up buying projectors since there was way too much glare... on my 2012 the beam is a lot better.

bulbs do lose output with time, I think its something like 5% per year on average so new bulb would help for sure.

HID in the fogs are not a good option either IMO, since you put out a lot of light close, and that will decrease your far vision.

What i do when I go on back road, I bought a 24inch light bar, put it on a pair of 5 inch 120# magnets with silicone protectors (amazon), and wired it on a 12v extension with switch, would not drive 100mph with that setup, but following the speed limit is not a problem, and it light up the roads very well, probably 50% more light than my hid low beam and 80watts high beam together and it's removable. If you want something permanent, mount it behind the grill like a member did...

·
Registered
96 Posts
They might not be in a league with a complete projector/HID retrofit, but I replaced my stock bulbs with 9012 HIR bulbs and found it more than adequate. Really loving these things!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
are 9012 HIR bulbs for the DRL or the highbeams? Special housing required? legal?
#1 your drl or daytime running lights use your high beams...
#2 9012 bulbs replace 9006 bulbs (low beam)...
#3 for high beam hir you need 9011...they do need to be physically modified to fit.. Google them to learn more..

·
Registered
96 Posts
#1 your drl or daytime running lights use your high beams...
#2 9012 bulbs replace 9006 bulbs (low beam)...
#3 for high beam hir you need 9011...they do need to be physically modified to fit.. Google them to learn more..
There's quite a bit of mention about these on this board - That's how I found out about them in the first place. And modifying the bulbs takes about 5 seconds each and a pair of toenail clippers. It's not as exacting as like most of these "google experts" would make you think. Just trim off a piece of thin plastic, plug em in, and instant vision without bothering other drivers or having to bake your headlights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You might try one of the headlight renewal systems available. For about $30, 3M has a system that sands and polishes the outer lens. these become dull and scratched over time. I just did mine and noticed a big difference.

Steve

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
You might try one of the headlight renewal systems available. For about $30, 3M has a system that sands and polishes the outer lens. these become dull and scratched over time. I just did mine and noticed a big difference.

Steve
Just what I was going to post. I'm amazed when walking through parking lots and seeing early 2k cars with headlight coverings totally yellowed out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"9006 is low beam...9005 is high beam..."

And now some of you are saying that it is the same bulb.

Can someone please clarify???

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
"9006 is low beam...9005 is high beam..."

And now some of you are saying that it is the same bulb.

Can someone please clarify???
i just looked thru this thread and i didnt see anyone say that 9005 and 9006 were the same bulb...9006 bulb is 50 or 55 watts and has a black coating at the tip...9005 will be 60 or 65 watts and has no coating on the tip...(9005 high beam)...(9006 low beam)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I recently moved out into the country. The stock headlights / highbeams are useless on my 2006 for the country.

Could i just need to replace my current lamps? do they get duller over time? They are the factory 2006 lamps.

Is there a HID kit i can use with my stock housings that isnt going to be illegal? I only want it for high beams...so it is at least controlled by the driver.

Should I do the fog lamp install on this thread...
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/65541-how-add-foglights-using-oem-wiring-rav4-3-a.html
Will this allow me to have serious bright HID bulbs in the correct HID housing???

What are my options?

Thanks
Headlights absolutely dim over time. Try replacing both bulbs and see the difference. You may also want to recondition the lens as they may have a bit of scratching dullness to them which will diminish the amount of light being illuminated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the previous post you asked for clarification...if you knew they are not the same bulb then what do you need clarified?
I made a mistake.... can you please drop it?

I think I am going to go down the HIR path. The stock bulbs at the dealership are more then the HIR. My research indicates that HIR has a descent bulb life as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, research has condluded that toshiba was the makers of the only 9011 / 9012 true hir. They have since quit making them. Philips now makes a bulb under the term HIR... but some people say that it isnt a true HIR ........ anyone comment on this?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, research has condluded that toshiba was the makers of the only 9011 / 9012 true hir. They have since quit making them. Philips now makes a bulb under the term HIR... but some people say that it isnt a true HIR ........ anyone comment on this?
From what the package said when I got mine, Philips is using some "combination of technologies" to achieve HIR performance - what THAT is supposed to mean. They also claim that the latest version, usually referred to as "generation 3" has an even longer life than the originals with the same or slightly higher lumens output. The biggest difference I can see between the new Philips and the old Toshiba bulbs is that the glass envelope is longer and the light is just slightly whiter to the eye. They look practically identical to a standard 9005 bulb, having no opaque glare shield on the tip. I'd have to go along with Philip's published specs for life span since I've only been using them for a few months.

I'd be leery of most of the less expensive bulbs being sold on Ebay since they're either counterfeit or older gen bulbs that no one wants any more. There's a wealth of information about them as well as a handy source to buy most any bulbs at:

Search

Yes, I'm a long time customer of this place and would certainly recommend them. There's an explanation at that link describing current HIR2 bulbs and how they work.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you decide to buff out the scratches, be sure to preserve your work with a protective film. I ended up using some Weathertech Lampgard after doing the JDM headlight swap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts