Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,,
I just bit the bullet and signed a deal to purchase a 2007 Rav 4 V6 Limited in very good condition from a Toyota dealer.
https://snaptube.cam/https://9apps.cam/
I've been driving a 2009 Ford F150 loaded to the hilt and I've kinda gotten used to a backup camera, satellite radio, bluetooth which came included with that vehicle. I mounted a Garmin Nuvi quite nicely on the dash.

Trying to decided what to do wrt. getting these options on my Rav 4 and would like your suggestions.

The Rav 4 I have purchased has bluetooth in it and has the premium JBL radio but the radio DOES NOT have the AM/SAT button. It is AM only. I hear that this ability was only added in 2008 and without it I cannot integrate satellite radio easily.

I think my options are as follows:

1. Screw the factory JBL stereo and get a Kenwood DNX7180 or 7190 with the bluetooth, backup camera, Sirius radio, GPS. The dealer suggested I go this route and can get it installed for $2000 from a local audio place. It will include integration with my steering controls

2. Purchase a JBL head unit on EBAY from a newer RAV4 that has the AM/SAT button (~$250), add the TOYSIR2 Sirius interface kit ($200) and the SCC1 - the Sirius vehicle tuner (not sure I need both but I'm guessing) ($30), then add a separate backup camera with a display in the rear view mirror (about $500 total installed) and a Garmin Nuvi GPS mounted with Pro Clip (about $350). Bluetooth is already in the vehicle. I think this will all come out to $1500 installed.

I guess I can save some money by for-going the backup camera which is less essential than it was on my Ford F150.

3. Purchase one of the Sirius plug and play radios (~$100) and get it mounted nicely and hard wired (about ~$100). Add a Garmin Nuvi and get it mounted ($350) with Pro Clip and hardwired. Backup camera with rear view display ($500). Use the Bluetooth in the vehicle. Total ~$1100 installed

The only thing I don't like about this solution is that I don't have steering wheel controls for flipping through my satellite presets.

I'd appreciate your input on these and any other options you might see that I have missed. I have to make a decision within the next day if I want the dealer to get it done.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Off the hop I’d say go for the aftermarket stereo (Kenwood or otherwise.) that way you can have the steering wheel controls, backup camera, bluetooth, usb connections, etc. etc. Coming from your F-150 with those features will be an adjustment and going without will always feel like something is missing. Shop around for price, check Crutchfield, etc. Of course you don’t need a Nav-equipped head unit if you can use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. But that is the path I’ll eventually take with mine, when my budget allows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd recommend going the Crutchfield route. They really know their stuff.
Their CS reps can step you through everything that you would need. I used them when I was upgrading an older car.
You could get an SXM tuner, backup camera, fantastic head unit with nav, and installation for 1/2 of Toyota's quoted cost.

Good luck on your audio journey!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts