Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took me darling to the Mayo medical clinic today via a 70MPH interstate for 42 miles and beat the **** out of it. Speeds up to 95MPH for short bursts.

Average mileage 24.8MPG. Very cool. The vehicle felt solid, and I love the intake roar wide-full-open. I would have pushed it way further but she would freak. :)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
My wife comments on the ability of my V6 RAV to pass in situations with limited opportunity compared with her CR-V, which she notes would not be able to carry out those passing maneuvers. So that sort of throttle foot at or near the floor is OK, but not so much if done on the interstate!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife hates it when I put my foot in it...
My wife is a surprisingly good driver compared to me an anyone else I know, however to date she has not driven my RAV4. She drives a doggy 1999 Ford Taurus Wagon 3.0 (which is a marvel for ordinary performance.)

On our highway drive rather than being freaked out when I passed vehicles doing 65MPH then pulled back to the right lane at 90MPH she asked, "Are we going fast"? Frankly, to me it did not feel fast.

Then she asked, laughing, "I suppose I should learn to drive this thing."

(Yes, my darlin, you must.) :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
my wife drives mine often and loves it...I however can be an aggressive driver lol...learned how to drive watching The Dukes of Hazard and Smokey and the Bandit lol...and don't get me started on winter driving...I am confident and knowledgeable about my vehicle and am not afraid of bad weather...she thinks I'm crazy...

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
On our highway drive rather than being freaked out when I passed vehicles doing 65MPH then pulled back to the right lane at 90MPH she asked, "Are we going fast"? Frankly, to me it did not feel fast.

:)

Yep - in highway driving situations I always have to keep an eye on my speedo since driving the V6 is deceptive - it's easy to drive a lot faster than the speed limit on freeways and interstates without the RAV conveying any other indication that it is rocketing along! Glancing at the tach, the engine is barely turning over!:smile

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
It shifts from 3-4 @ 105 by the way. :wink

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
I did 105mph yesterday. I was trying to pass but then this douche decides that I'm racing him, so I had to whip him a little to get back in the right lane. LOL

Reactions: Dr. Dyno

·
Registered
51 Posts
my wife drives mine often and loves it...I however can be an aggressive driver lol...learned how to drive watching The Dukes of Hazard and Smokey and the Bandit lol...and don't get me started on winter driving...I am confident and knowledgeable about my vehicle and am not afraid of bad weather...she thinks I'm crazy...

Your driving sounds a lot like mine! I'll drive anything in any kind of weather. And I tend to be aggressive.

One of the guys at work said when Toyota had the accelerator pedal recall they just took mine out altogether and replaced it with an on/off switch, he said when I drive it's either full throttle or nothing at all :D hahaha.

I do not have a significant other to comment on my driving......just my mother. Lol

·
Registered
499 Posts
Love these stories!

About two weeks ago I was on the highway, alone, heading home on Interstate 71 north doing 65 ish in a 60 mph zone when all of a sudden a black Mercedes SUV is on stuck on my tail, filling my rear view mirror. Tailgaters don't bother me so the guy guns it around me and he cuts in front me with plenty of distance, no biggie, but he had huge dual exhaust pipes looking right at me....oooo...I'm scared. Since I had to exit and take I480 east I worked my way through traffic to the single lane exit ramp which leads to a very nasty, 180 degree, decreasing radius curve leading to Interstate 480. I've mastered this curve years ago. Well, there he is again, right on my tail as we decelerate drastically to the curve entrance and my new Nitto Crosstek tires are getting anxious. I take my usual severe outside line into the curve as the idiot Mercedes pilot foolishly, like most people, takes the inside line. He stays close but as I see the last bit of apex approaching I turn smoothly at it and floor it to the max and I'm flying out of the curve as the Mercedes drifts way wide and he is far in the distance..:D

RAV4 V6, sleeper of the century.

Tom

·
Registered
572 Posts
I try to be a calm(er) driver when my wife and kid are in the vehicle, but when I'm alone going to-and-from work everyday, I'm a bit more aggressive. I just love the looks on other drivers' faces when (1) they can't outrun/pass me and (2) a "RAV4" can compete with their "modern" vehicles. I've had lots more bird-waving at me, in return, I give them the "L". :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts