Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I showed up at work yesterday afternoon I was surprised to find about NINE 2006 RAV4's sitting off to the side of the building I work in 8) I figured... cool... Toyota has shipped in some of the new RAV4s for me to evaluate. :wink:

They had recently been unloaded from a ship and were in the process of being loaded onto trucks to be trucked down to California. Rumor was they were going directly to a warehouse for a photo session.

I only had time to look at three of them. Two were 4 bangers... one was a V6 :D By the time I started taking a closer look, one of my bosses showed up and informed me..."NO PHOTOS!". To be honest... taking photos was the last thought on my mind. I wanted to take the V6 for a quick spin around the dock... but then was informed that even this was a "NO NO". Jeez... I guess my boss just doesn't realize who he's dealing with :roll: At least I did get to fire up the V6 to hear it. What a strange sound to hear coming from a RAV4 :D

Each vehicle had a CAR COVER in the rear cargo area... as it appears they had been keeping them undercover earlier in the day. The only reason I got the sneak peak was because the truck-away drivers had to remove the covers to drive them. The trucks they were loading them onto were NOT the usual open air car hauler... they were enclosed type trailers. 8)

Since it appears my employer feels these are such TOP SECRET vehicles... I will keep my comments brief. From looking at the interiors, it appears these units are still in PRE-PRODUCTION mode, as quite a few of the interior surfaces were smooth rubber/plastic. Also... the VIN numbers were the same on some of them... plus all ended in single digits - example 000001, 000002, 000003, etc..

A few things I noticed...(1) NO push button starter. They start with the normal turn of the ignition key. The button I thought was a starter button in the photos I've seen is actually the 4WD lock button. (2)I saw the word "Bluetooth" on the dash. (3)They all had white plastic wrap covering the exterior badges, grills, headlights and wrapped around the rear to keep the back doors closed. I was able to open the rear door on one and was surprised to see a 12" JBL subwoofer mounted INSIDE the rear door :shock: Unfortunately... the stereo was NOT fused... and I ran out of time to do any further snooping :?

My overall impression of the exterior/size - they really don't look all that much larger than the 4.2 models. The added 3" in width and 14" in length is rather subtle... until you look inside. Compared to my 1996 2DR model, the interior is cavernous :lol:

Maybe we'll be seeing these same units on toyota.com in October... as they promise further updates at that time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The California International Auto Show is coming to Ananeim Convention Center next week. Any chance one of them could make it there?????????

R

·
0 Posts
NINE RAV4

Kelly...you said NINE RAV4? :D cool! Are they in different colors? Do you know waht colors will be availbale in the 4.3 RAV4? NAV SYSTEM and VIDEO MONITOR? :D

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: NINE RAV4

rav4energie said:
Kelly...you said NINE RAV4? :D cool! Are they in different colors? Do you know waht colors will be availbale in the 4.3 RAV4? NAV SYSTEM and VIDEO MONITOR? :D
Colors for US 2006 RAV4 are - Super White, Blizzard White Pearl, Flint Mica, Classic Silver Metalic, Black, Barcelona Red Metalic, Beige Metalic, Light Green Metalic, Pacific Blue Metalic & Nautical Blue Metalic.

By the time I got close enough... only 3 were left on ground. As I recall... one was white and two were silver. Wish I had shown up a few minutes earlier, as I really wanted to see the green and blues.

No NAV or VIDEO MONITORs in site. IMHO... the US version won't be getting these items. :cry:

Fatboy said:
Kelly, who do you work for?
TLS (Toyota Logistics Services) Portland, Oregon
No official website... this is the closest I could find - http://www.portofportland.com/T4_Home.aspx

R

·
0 Posts
No NAV or VIDEO MONITORs in site. IMHO... the US version

No NAV or VIDEO MONITORs in site. IMHO... the US version won't be getting these items.
:twisted: I'm really dissapointed! :twisted: :twisted: I already set my mind to get one next year if it has those option...Oh well...there's nothing I can do...maybe..i'll just go for the LEXUS RX330..thanks kelly

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Petla said:
Kelly, when you mention that the 6 had a strange sound was that bad or good? Quiet or loud? Thanks.
All good :D Slight rumble/growl... instead of that "Evinrude" boat motor noise that my 4 banger makes :roll:

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Wow!! Kelly, I envy you! Got to sit in and start up a V6 RAV4.3, let alone *any* RAV4.3 so soon before the North American introduction. :shock:

I don't think these pre-productions will make it to that California auto show, simply because, as you said, the interiors' finish (and likely other parts of the vehicle) does not exemplify production quality. Most likely, these will go to the photo shoot you mention as well as to be previewed to or road tested by magazine reviewers.

There is still a separate start/stop button, it was clearly seen in the wide dashboard photo with apparently all the options tricked out -- in-dash DVD satellite nav, steering wheel stereo controls, mobile phone interface, bluetooth, dual-zone electronic climate control... Though, curiously, the car in that photo was still a manual tranny! Not something I'd expect to make it to the US, because it was probably their higher-powered diesel Sport model. :(

So you weren't hallucinating about the existence of a Start/Stop button -- it *does* exist. Probably just wasn't in the three 4.3's you got your hands on! ;)

Keep up the good work! (or at least as much as Toyota will let you tell us) :D

C

·
0 Posts
WOW!! You guys I can't decide between the new V6 RAV4 or the 2007 FJ CRuiser =( I'm ready to trade in soon.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Omega Man said:
karrock said:
Not something I'd expect to make it to the US
That may apply to the start stop button, blue tooth and navigation as well. :(
Ah, don't think that North America will be passed up on those options. With the upscale nature of the RAV4.3, it'll almost definitely get those features.

And to zap one of those off of your list... :D
Kelly Smith said:
(2)I saw the word "Bluetooth" on the dash.

P

·
0 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
I only had time to look at three of them. Two were 4 bangers... one was a V6 :D By the time I started taking a closer look, one of my bosses showed up and informed me..."NO PHOTOS!".
KS, thanks for the info, but be careful, amigo.

I don't think any of us here wants to see you lose your job.

Adios,
PCM

C

·
0 Posts
So if its bluetooth enabled does it mean you can just drive and talk into the car or what? Do you have to wear the ear piece if you are driving, or you just talk into the car? How does it work if a car is bluetooth enabled? Thanks !

Steven

R

·
0 Posts
Kelly, thanks for that link. What is interesting is that Toyota says that Bluetooth is only available with NAV enabled cars. So either they are changing that rule for the RAV, or hopefully we are getting NAV after all.

I just bought a Garmin C340 for our 2003 RAV- pretty darn cool! Much better than the $2000 system in my Infiniti FX and I found the perfect place to mount it that doesn't obstruct windshield visibility. I'll snap a pic later today. Howard

1 - 20 of 26 Posts