Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Very interesting article. Good to know since the Honda brand is very strong in peoples mind.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Not according to the latest reliability ratings. Honda has fallen way below Toyota:

Where are the Hondas? Brand is no longer interchangeable with Toyota in Consumer Reports ratings
I'm not so sure I would trust them. They rate Hyundai, Kia, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Mazda, Audi, even Mini all as being better than Toyota or Honda. And Toyota only beats Honda by 1 point on their list. These are the top 10 best new cars, trucks, SUVs of 2020, according to Consumer Reports

Plus, the new CR-V, for example is brand new, so it's not going to have any real rating yet. One thing I like about the CR-V is it's much bigger inside. More passenger space, and more cargo volume. Apparently it doesn't have a spare tire, which would be a problem for me, since I do Uber and everything else with my car. That one factor alone might make me opt for the Pilot instead if I could afford it, but then there's a huge hit with mpgs. I'm not sure if there's a tire carrier for a tow hitch for that car or a roof rack option, but either one would also kill some mpgs. I know a full-size spare is doable for the regular CR-V on the inside. I've seen the "hacks" to make it fit. I don't know why they do stupid shit like that. Every car seems to do something stupid that makes no sense. Even my 09 Rav4. Like to change the headlight housing unit you have to take the bumper off. Like what kind of design is that?

Anyway, the inside seems to be nicer on the CR-V, too. I like the Highlander Hybrid, but they're so expensive and the price on used ones just doesn't come down. At this point I'm wondering if I might just have to get a Tesla Model 3 at some point and hate it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts
So, you have a RAV4 with over 200,000 miles on it and couldn't pay the monthly note so now you're going to buy a brand new CR-V? Good luck with that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So, you have a RAV4 with over 200,000 miles on it and couldn't pay the monthly note so now you're going to buy a brand new CR-V? Good luck with that.
At the time I wasn't making nearly as much as I am now. And now Chase won't let me pay it unless I pay it off in full up front.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As far as brand reliability goes, you have to look back several years through Consumer Reports or other publications/reviews and develop your own opinion. You will find Toyota and Honda always have models at or near the top, year after year. I sort of look for a long term trend. Also, never buy a first or second year of a new model; if it's just a sheet metal change, no big deal, but new technologies should be left for someone else to test. I would like a new Rav4 Hybrid but there's that gas tank issue and now a recall to check for cracking engine blocks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
As far as brand reliability goes, you have to look back several years through Consumer Reports or other publications/reviews and develop your own opinion. You will find Toyota and Honda always have models at or near the top, year after year. I sort of look for a long term trend. Also, never buy a first or second year of a new model; if it's just a sheet metal change, no big deal, but new technologies should be left for someone else to test. I would like a new Rav4 Hybrid but there's that gas tank issue and now a recall to check for cracking engine blocks.
I think as far as looks go I like the CR-V better vs the Rav4. It just looks more modern and more aggressive to me. But I would like something bigger. I like the specs of the Pilot, but it look ugly. Even the MDX looks like crap in my opinion. The Lexus suvs are nice, but so slooow. I can't deal with sluggish cars. The Highlander looks really nice to me, and while it's not fast, it's also not slow. I would love the hybrid version of that, but it's too much. Even used.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yea not that crazy about the looks of the 2019+ Rav4. When I first saw them, I thought 'Breaking Bad' the side view looks like a Pontiac Aztec. Still liking the 4.3 generation the best of all appearance wise, other than those bulbus tail lights.There's a great auto show here in Quebec called RPM with Pierre Michaud; they test cars thoroughly, have a mechanic give an opinion on the engineering, predicted reliability.. They give the 2019 Rav4 Hybrid very high marks overall but poke fun of the appearance. It does well in acceleration, braking, slalom and collision avoidance tests (for an SUV) while returning amazing fuel economy. Unfortunately the show is only available in French. My in law has a ~5 year old Highlander non hybrid, I drive it once and a while, smooth, quiet, comfy and strong, but as you say they're pricey vehicles even used.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yea not that crazy about the looks of the 2019+ Rav4. When I first saw them, I thought 'Breaking Bad' the side view looks like a Pontiac Aztec. Still liking the 4.3 generation the best of all appearance wise, other than those bulbus tail lights.There's a great auto show here in Quebec called RPM with Pierre Michaud; they test cars thoroughly, have a mechanic give an opinion on the engineering, predicted reliability.. They give the 2019 Rav4 Hybrid very high marks overall but poke fun of the appearance. It does well in acceleration, braking, slalom and collision avoidance tests (for an SUV) while returning amazing fuel economy. Unfortunately the show is only available in French. My in law has a ~5 year old Highlander non hybrid, I drive it once and a while, smooth, quiet, comfy and strong, but as you say they're pricey vehicles even used.
It feels like when they design cars they say, "They can have looks for this price, or quality, but not much of both". Like the new Nissan Rogue update looks really nice. But the specs on the car suck, even though those guys drive them like they think they have my Rav4 engine.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts