Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skip down a paragraph if you don't care to read my meandering backstory... After observing how many people were annoyed with Toyota cheaping out on backlit window controls, I decided to try to do something about it. I was reading about solutions in other threads, and came across a link to a forum in Japan where someone had swapped out their right hand drive buttons with a Toyota Crown. The Crown in Japan is what Toyota calls the Corolla in North American markets. After doing some sleuthing (IE, going to Toyota.com and looking at the 2019 Corolla gallery) I determined that yes, the 2019 Corolla has driver door controls that match the layout of the 2019 RAV4, and that yes, they are backlit. The part (84040-12210) is not cheap at $380. I managed to find an eBay salvage part seller who had that part number listed for $150 with free shipping, pulled from a wrecked 2019 Corolla hatchback. Still expensive for what it is, but I wasn't sure I'd see it for less, so I went ahead. That replacement part showed up today!

Here is the part as it showed up, and compared to the RAV4 door controls:

I used a spudger to pry up the drivers door controls. It comes out without having to remove anything else, just held in with clips, as shown below. Just be careful not to do what I did (I'll get to it below).

Here are the two assemblies, side by side:

The window control buttons easily come off the assembly by removing the three phillips head screws on the either side and underneath the module.

Side by side comparison of the modules (RAV4 left, Corolla right):

And the Corolla module installed in the RAV4 assembly:

Continuing in another post since I can only attach 10 items...

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Back side of the Corolla module in the RAV4 assembly:

Here it is wired back up, making sure it works before reinstalling completely:

Everything seemed to be working fine, so I snapped it back into place, and now it looks great!

Some things to note:
I followed someone else's post on how to take the door controls out, but I misinterpreted where to pry based on their image they uploaded. Therefore, don't do this:

There is a J shaped clip at the upper/forward part of the assembly that acts more as a hinge than a clip. Do not pry there. I broke this clip because I thought it was the best place to go pry it. instead, pry from the opposite side where there is a more typical clip that will not break from being pried upwards. Then lift/slide away from that J shaped clip.

The buttons from the Corolla definitely work, but the buttons from the RAV4 "feel" better. They have less travel and are less clicky than the Corolla. Think of it like a chiclet/laptop keyboard vs IBM mechanical. It's a total preference thing, but I personally prefer the RAV4 buttons. Not going to swap it back, but I wish they felt the same.

This whole thing, including supergluing the clip I broke back together, took me about 35 minutes, and I think it turned out really well. I'm really pleased.

Other Note: it looks like the 2018/19 Camry door controls might also work, although they don't look exactly the same so I'm not sure 100%. They have black caps instead of silver, and each button has an auto indicator instead of the slits for the LEDs to show. https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-19-Toyota-Camry-Master-Driver-Window-Control-Switch-84040-06070/333349307415?fits=Year:2019|Make:Toyota&epid=27032636650&hash=item4d9d2ac417:g:v1sAAOSwRBFdlmuM

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Nice! So happy to see people modify and fix stuff that they are not totally content with.

I am tempted by that ebay piece....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice! So happy to see people modify and fix stuff that they are not totally content with.

I am tempted by that ebay piece....
I'd do a little more reasearch on those Camry buttons before pulling the trigger for two reasons:
  1. toyotapartsdeals has the part for under $50, so that ebay link I posted is likely way overpriced, and
  2. I'm not certain that the Camry buttons are backlit. The marketing images makes it seem that way, but so did the RAV4 images, and we all know how that turned out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the rest of the window switches lit up in the corolla as well? Eg. passenger door/rear doors?
That I don't know. It wasn't on my mind so I didn't try to find out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are all backlit - and also as far as your speculation whether Camry buttons are backlit or not - yes they are indeed backlit.
In that case, the part number for the Corolla switches for the rear and front passenger seems to be 848810-12120, listed at about $80 a pop. I couldn't find them on eBay just now.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Will do
I'd do a little more reasearch on those Camry buttons before pulling the trigger for two reasons:
  1. toyotapartsdeals has the part for under $50, so that ebay link I posted is likely way overpriced, and
  2. I'm not certain that the Camry buttons are backlit. The marketing images makes it seem that way, but so did the RAV4 images, and we all know how that turned out.
Will do...THanks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Other Note: it looks like the 2018/19 Camry door controls might also work, although they don't look exactly the same so I'm not sure 100%. They have black caps instead of silver, and each button has an auto indicator instead of the slits for the LEDs to show. https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-19-Toyota-Camry-Master-Driver-Window-Control-Switch-84040-06070/333349307415?fits=Year:2019|Make:Toyota&epid=27032636650&hash=item4d9d2ac417:g:v1sAAOSwRBFdlmuM
This is how the Camry part looks like. Got the screenshot from an online video review. So yes it is backlit and the overall arrangement of buttons is the same as that of RAV4.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Back side of the Corolla module in the RAV4 assembly:
View attachment 147633

Here it is wired back up, making sure it works before reinstalling completely:
View attachment 147634

Everything seemed to be working fine, so I snapped it back into place, and now it looks great!

View attachment 147635

Some things to note:
I followed someone else's post on how to take the door controls out, but I misinterpreted where to pry based on their image they uploaded. Therefore, don't do this:
View attachment 147636

There is a J shaped clip at the upper/forward part of the assembly that acts more as a hinge than a clip. Do not pry there. I broke this clip because I thought it was the best place to go pry it. instead, pry from the opposite side where there is a more typical clip that will not break from being pried upwards. Then lift/slide away from that J shaped clip.

The buttons from the Corolla definitely work, but the buttons from the RAV4 "feel" better. They have less travel and are less clicky than the Corolla. Think of it like a chiclet/laptop keyboard vs IBM mechanical. It's a total preference thing, but I personally prefer the RAV4 buttons. Not going to swap it back, but I wish they felt the same.

This whole thing, including supergluing the clip I broke back together, took me about 35 minutes, and I think it turned out really well. I'm really pleased.

Thanks, and nice one question are all the windows still auto and manual up/down like the originals? Talking about pull 1/2 way for manual control and pull / push all the way for auto up / down.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks, and nice one question are all the windows still auto and manual up/down like the originals? Talking about pull 1/2 way for manual control and pull / push all the way for auto up / down.
Yes, after the swap all 4 auto/manual up/down still work.

·
Registered
227 Posts

If the Camry master switch ends up being compatible, the 16 17 Prius switch might work too. The Camry and Prius switch look the same. One end looks different than the RAV4 and Corolla switch though. Notice how the plastic is a “U” shape to the body near the clip and the RAV4 and Corolla body is not. Wish I had time to test the Prius or Camry one out for fun.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I found this exact part, Toyota Corolla Hatchback 2019 on car-part.com for $100. Should be delivered in a few days - will update how it goes! So excited.!! :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found this exact part, Toyota Corolla Hatchback 2019 on car-part.com for $100. Should be delivered in a few days - will update how it goes! So excited.!! :)
Nice work! Thanks for mentioning this site, looks like it may come in handy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Nice work! Thanks for mentioning this site, looks like it may come in handy.
Strangely, and stupidly, the seller I spoke with yesterday called today and said he cannot sell me the part if I’m planning to put it my RAV4 because this will not fit. I assured him that the switch itself does fit even if the bezel is of a different shape and assured him that I am not planning to return it. He said in that case I’d have to send him a money order and cost will be $20 extra. ?‍♂
I told him “no thanks” and then found another seller on car-part.com who was selling the same part and bought it for $75.
The original dealer lost a sale because he got paranoid.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Strangely, and stupidly, the seller I spoke with yesterday called today and said he cannot sell me the part if I’m planning to put it my RAV4 because this will not fit. I assured him that the switch itself does fit even if the bezel is of a different shape and assured him that I am not planning to return it. He said in that case I’d have to send him a money order and cost will be $20 extra. ?‍♂
I told him “no thanks” and then found another seller on car-part.com who was selling the same part and bought it for $75.
The original dealer lost a sale because he got paranoid.
Weird. Seems like a strange hangup. I would assume that all sales through this platform would be final anyway, so why do they care what you're doing with it?

Did you tell them you were installing it in a RAV4 when you first called?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Did you tell them you were installing it in a RAV4 when you first called?
Yeah I had to. He wanted the VIN of the car I was planning to put it in. And in any case it’s stupid car switch I’m buying not some weapon to have them ask such questions. The second seller had no such inquisitory questions and finalized the sale right away. Anyway.

1 - 20 of 421 Posts